It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Chief Warns Troops About Politics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Military Chief Warns Troops About Politics

www.nytimes.com

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has written an unusual open letter to all those in uniform, warning them to stay out of politics as the nation approaches a presidential election in which the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will be a central, and certainly divisive, issue.

“The U.S. military must remain apolitical at all times and in all ways,” wrote the chairman, Adm. Mike Mullen, the nation’s highest-ranking officer. “It is and must always be a neutral instrument of the state, no matter which party holds sway.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-5-2008 by jhill76]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
So the military can't have open discussions about who makes the decisions on where they go next? I am not too familiar on the military and how things work, but I would think that they should have their own say on politics.

www.nytimes.com

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Could somone help me fix my links. I don't know what I did wrong, thanks

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
"Old men bicker while young men bleed. Such is the way of politics."

This couldn't ring any more true than now.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

They do have a say, but its with their vote.

I think the reasoning is perfectly valid. Due to its nature, the military really isn't a place where an open discussion of dissenting political opinions should be welcome. It has to work well as a cohesive unit, and if there are internal political divisions, it could place the nation and the troops themselves in undue danger.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by vor78]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

They can and do make their own political decisions but discuss them in any way as to form a lobby or voting bloc... no... and that is good.

The military should remain apolitical.... unfortunately the chaplain service has been deliberatly infiltrated by right wing fundamentalists... who I am sure will do their best to use their positions to influence votes... and if they do they should be punished to the full extent of the military code of justice.

The same as if any group including those on the left should they try it... already the Air Force academy has had a lot of problems with fundamentalists in their ranks harassing members of other religions and foisting their beliefs and views on others.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The way this government is working doesn't stop to amazed me, they now wants to control how our military men and women think, speak and see.

I guess our military job is to protect our nation and its Constitution but the constitutional rights do not apply to them.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Considering this oh so corrupt administration has done its level best to politicize the various departments from the justice to the EPA and on it doesn't surprise me that they would try and politicize the military... which would be a disaster for this country.

Good for the chief for speaking out.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I wonder what kind of so-called news the soldiers have access to when they are in Iraq or Afghanistan? If they have no access to anything outside the MSM or Faux News, there could be plenty of military men and women who would vote as the republicans want them to. While I understand that they should stay out of politics in the public eye, I think that they should be allowed to discuss their views with friends/family/coworkers when they are not "on the clock," so to speak.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I don't know how it is now but for awhile the only talk radio the military radio service would broadcast was mush loosebowels.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by scarlett1125

Yea. I wonder can they access sites like myspace and facebook that deal with open discussion?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

My former Marine husband actually made an interesting point about that. Every military family is watching the news intently. The problem is that those families are not all that informed if they only watch the MSM, so if that is what they are telling their loved ones overseas, then they are not left with much. However, if they are getting the scoop on all of the details, they should be well-informed. I just don't think it's likely that they will be able to do that kind of searching for themselves. And I'm sure if some of the newsletters on the topic were sent to them, the soldiers themselves would never see them.

new topics

top topics

join