It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One in Eight U.S. Biology Teachers Teaches Creationism

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

There has been evidence found of the 'missing link'. Also, in addition to the fossils there is a considerable body of other evidence which supports common descent.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by pexx421
chise, i dont think i mentioned your name, and am not really speaking to you specifically, just saying my thoughts in generally. perhaps im really just thinking out loud (our out type, or however you would call it)

Oh that's ok kinda like i didn't mention your name in my post, and wasn't really talking to you, but you responded to my post. Isn't that what goes on here people respond to posts that weren't directed to them all the time.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
oh come on chise, apes are AWESOME!!! powerful and strong, protective of their tribe. Masters of their domain, they have no natural predators. And they live in equilibrium with their natural surroundings! Anyway, .....horses aint to bright. And dolphins are probably more evolved than we are, so you would have had to devolve from them. at any rate, i dont believe you about the not religious bit...you have an angel for an avatar!!! And finally....im not targeting you when i say those things sweety! "dont take anything personally", the 3rd agreement!!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Chris McGee

Thanks for the links, i will check them tomorrow. I have no problem looking at new evidence, just want proof that's all.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
yes, when im typing on here, i find myself responding to all the people supporting the other side of the arguement as a whole, so if you were positing for the teaching of "creationdoomahickey" with all the others, i sort of group you together as a whole and just kinda fire my responses off to all of you. All you creationists look the same to me!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology

Originally posted by Chris McGee
Religion has no place in a science lesson. If they must teach creationism it should be in a religious studies class. Educators need to be able to put their own beliefs to one side and teach in a responsible manner and pushing your agenda on a class of children is not acceptable.

Oh is that so Chris? Tell us Chris, what religion are they teaching?

- Con

Fundamentalist Christianity

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology

Originally posted by Chris McGee
Religion has no place in a science lesson. If they must teach creationism it should be in a religious studies class. Educators need to be able to put their own beliefs to one side and teach in a responsible manner and pushing your agenda on a class of children is not acceptable.

Oh is that so Chris? Tell us Chris, what religion are they teaching?

- Con

Fundamentalist Christianity

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

Take another look at my avatar pexx, pay real close attention. It's not an angel, it's a broken angel. That should give you a clue. I am a spiritual person, i am a christian, however i am not religious. I have many problems with organized religions and i also have problems with parts of the bible. Being a christian does not neccassarily make one a religious person.

Hey don't get me wrong i like apes and i know they're smart and all that i just happen to like polar bears and horse and dolphins a lot better. Besides that apes don't have sex for fun, dolphins do and so do we, so we do have something in common with them
. But truthfully i like dogs best of all, more than a lot of people i've met.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

Originally posted by wytworm
reply to post by chise61

Its not 'just' an unproven theory, its the best one with the most weight of evidence supporting it. Thats the important part.

True it may be the one with the most sceintific wieght supporting it, however it is still an UNPROVEN THEORY. That is the most important part.

Important to what? You are trading the theory with the most weighty evidence behind it for a religious precept that is not even a theory. How is that science? Your premise is flawed from the outset.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   

reply to post by chise61

Its not 'just' an unproven theory, its the best one with the most weight of evidence supporting it. Thats the important part.

True it may be the one with the most sceintific wieght supporting it, however it is still an UNPROVEN THEORY. That is the most important part.

Important to what? You are trading the theory with the most weighty evidence behind it for a religious precept that is not even a theory. How is that science? Your premise is flawed from the outset.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

Ahh but if you look back to my first post on this thread you will see that i wasn't one of the people advocating creationism being taught in the public schools. I stated that i did not think that it should be taught in school. So you mistakingly placed me in said group.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I understand. But i meet more christians who are religious but not spiritual, as opposed to christians who are spiritual but not religious. Has to do with all the gnostics being killed by the orthodox around 300 ad.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Evolution does not say we descended from a modern ape. It says we descended from a common ancestor. At some point two groups of this early primate were separated and encountered different conditions over a LONG time. They changed as groups to the point where although still very similar, they could no longer reproduce with one another. I believe this is called a speciation event.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   

What is it that you do NOT understand ? Read my first post on this thread i stated that creationism should NOT be taught in school. Why do you keep insisting that because i have a problem with Darwin's theory that it automatically means that i advocate creationism ? Perhaps you are the one that has some kind of flawed premise.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I like apples but it doesn't mean I am descended from one.

I believe Bonobo, ladybirds and dolphins are thought to have sex for fun. As fun is unquantifiable, especially in other species (smacks of anthropomorphism), I am not sure of the value of such studies or even what they are meant to tell us.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   

What is it that you do NOT understand ? Read my first post on this thread i stated that creationism should NOT be taught in school. Why do you keep insisting that because i have a problem with Darwin's theory that it automatically means that i advocate creationism ? Perhaps you are the one that has some kind of flawed premise.

I get it. You feel misunderstood. Broken angel. Ok. Can we move on? Sigh...

You said it was the most important part. I engaged you on that asking for details. Put up or shut up. I repeat. Important to what?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

Understandable, however i do not group, or judge you, it is not my place. I see you only as you present yourself to me, might i ask for you to do the same with me ?

Not every Christian is a bible thumping zealot, and i personally do not believe that a true Christian should sit in judgement of anyone that does not have the same beliefs, or follow what they believe is the right path. The stones are gonna start flyin any minute now, i'm gonna take some heat for that one. We all have our own paths to follow, if everyone could understand that the world would be a much better place.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by wytworm

I went to school, believe it or not i actually have a college degree
. I do understand the theory of evolution, you need not explain the seperation to me.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   

reply to post by chise61

I like apples but it doesn't mean I am descended from one.

I believe Bonobo, ladybirds and dolphins are thought to have sex for fun. As fun is unquantifiable, especially in other species (smacks of anthropomorphism), I am not sure of the value of such studies or even what they are meant to tell us.

Get off your horse, you're taking my post to someone else out of context. You're taking comments that were meant to lighten up a tense situation (which was understood by the person it was geared for) and making something serious out of it. I wasn't making a point with that part of the post and the person that it was directed at knew it. Every once in awhile people do joke around.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
Why do people think it's ok to filter out other's educations to fit their own belief systems in?

That's exactly what many 'scientists' do when it comes to evolution. They teach it like it's their religion, and like it's a known fact, when it really is just a theory.

Teachers should teach ALL the theories and call them that - theories.
None of us where there when 'it' happened - when humans were created.
So everything is just a theory and all the theories need to be presented
as that - theories.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join