It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One in Eight U.S. Biology Teachers Teaches Creationism

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

I have something to add that could possible satisfy what you are trying to say here and maybe even give you a little comfort, depending on how this works out.

How many people on this board knew about the idea of Christian creationism far before they learned about the theory of evolution?

How many people knew about evolution before they were taught it in high school?

I was brought up going to church and knew, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki

I have something to add that could possible satisfy what you are trying to say here and maybe even give you a little comfort, depending on how this works out.

How many people on this board knew about the idea of Christian creationism far before they learned about the theory of evolution?

How many people knew about evolution before they were taught it in high school?

I was brought up going to church and knew, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1

So you're supporting my point by saying that we need to teach Evolution to undo early misinformation? Or you're trying to say that because we heard about creationism first it must be the right answer? I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

What I was attempting to say is that the majority of people know Christian creationism from a young age. At least in the US. What most children are not taught at this age is the theory of evolution. I believe that by the time a student takes biology they should be secure enough in their own faith to accept that evolution is a theory and make their own decision on what they chose to believe.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

…I took issue with you, not that you believe what you do, but your choice of words and your choice of "proof". If that video reinforces your beliefs, that's fine with me. But to assert that the video and it's contents is irrefutable proof of god is absurd, in my opinion.

I’m not sure what “words” I used that inspired you to “take issue” with me, but the video does not reinforce anything for me. I know very little about Todd Bentley. FACT is you can actually find real doctor and media statements which confirm that numerous people have raised from the dead. These miracles are no more incredible to me than every breath I take. I see all reality as a blatant and obvious miracle in and of itself.

I agree that evolution and ID should be taught in college, as an elective, and not in public schools.

Nice to be able to agree something…

if we don't teach our kids the dominant science of the modern era, we risk a further decline.

I don’t agree. It is already being taught in public schools, and it hasn’t helped us compete globally. The only way I see the USA becoming a greater nation academically and otherwise is to start a revolution… a whole new thread would have to be started for me to continue there.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by wolfmanjack

Wolfman, would it surprise you if I were to agree with you?

Organised Religion IS ignorance ...

I agree!

...In truth Orginised religion is one of the most destructive and hate filled institutions ever to exist on the planet.

Again, I agree.

...need to continue with the clear evidence that religion is the root cause of suffering on this planet?

Nah, no need. At least not with me.

Bahh.. Nvm.. This is a exercise in futility.. Nothing i say is going to change anything .. If there is any True sin in this world Wilful Ignorance is it.

Very true!!

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. Hosea 4:6

Religion is a creation of dead ego driven men who desire power. Jesus Christ was against it. I am against it.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Evolution is a scientific theory. Creationism is a scientific hypothesis. A theory has evidence backing it up, a hypothesis is a guess.

The two are NOT the same, not even close. If anyone, Christian or otherwise, wants to think evolution is not real, they are not using logic to come to that conclusion.

Simple as. Next!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

The same logic that tells me da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa tells me that reality was no mere accident.

Oh, woops, I just spilled my coffee. Hmmm, would you look at that… it looks like the mess has some sort of order to it. Wow, it actually looks like letters. Let’s see here, what does it say? “Your father was a monkey.”

The odds of that actually happening are equal to a divine accident.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by apaulo]

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17   >>

join