It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One in Eight U.S. Biology Teachers Teaches Creationism

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
This whole thing will blow over before our time is up.

Just like the burning of the witches, the religious belief in exorcism, the belief it's blasphemy to suggest the earth isn't the center of the universe, or the earth is round (they were ticked at that one, because it suggested "heaven" isn't exactly above earth, but around it.).
It was blasphemy to suggest humans shared any common organs with other animals.
Then it was blasphemy to suggest humans are animals.
Then it was blasphemy to suggest the human body isn't perfect.
Blasphemy to suggest we had natural instincts.
Blasphemy to suggest we are born with different physical characteristics (that ones my favorite)
Blasphemy to question the bibles account of history.
Blasphemy to permit women into power, or to work.
Blasphemy to acknowledge gays as a natural occurrence.
... the list just keeps growing over time.

Religion finds every excuse to fight every progression of science.
EVERY time, they lose.
Religion will fail in this case, just like every other time.

Just turn your backs to them, and keep working. If they can't be bothered to accept whats right in front of their face, then they're not worth bothering with.

I understand it's lunacy. I know you want to help them by educating them... but they really are a lost cause. Your efforts are worth more to the scientific community by assisting in research, and learning of other research done.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

All this is is conjecture.

Those are not peer reviewed scientific papers and they are not written by qualified evolutionary scientists.

These articles are only opinions

As for the evolutionary scientists that don't agree with the "Walking Whale" theory:

There are many scientists that don't agree with many different theories, just as there is many different theologians and Christians that don't agree with the philosophy of Creationism and I.D.

The whole point is evidence and testing.

The "Walking Whale", although it has opposition, is seen by the majority of the scientific public as being a legitimate scientific theory as the science behind it has been peer reviewed, found to be sound and then published.

Bring me the peer reviewed paper where it says that this scientific evidence has been thoroughly dismissed.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
As other people have said,

Science deals with theories, Evolution is a theory, theories explain facts, facts are learned through observation and analysis.

Philosophy deals with ideas, Creationism is an idea, ideas explain beliefs, beliefs are developed through logic.

However, Creationism is illogical and relies on faith. Therefore, it would be classed as religion. Religion is a form of Philosophy that's developed through faith instead of logic, faith relies on ignorance.

Therefore, Evolution should be taught in the science classroom along with the theory of gravity. Creationism should be taught in the philosophy/religious classroom along with Intelligent Falling.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

This is a very good list to contemplate.

I would like to hear what pro-creationists say about these historical facts.

I also would like to point out that this list of Johnsky does not refute the existence of a creator.

It just points out the madness of organised religion.

[edit on 28/5/08 by Horza]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   

The "Walking Whale", although it has opposition, is seen by the majority of the scientific public as being a legitimate scientific theory as the science behind it has been peer reviewed, found to be sound and then published.
reply to post by Horza

Another expert that doesn't know how the peer review system should work!
The published paper is ( reviewed) by the scientist's peers. Other scientist in the scientific community. They can't review it, untill they read it. That is why it is published in a scientific journal.
The (not scientist) publishers of those journals only choose which submissions to publish. Since there are to many for them to publish them all.
Most scientist now believe that system is broken. Because they can't get published without writing on something that is, politically correct and on the subject the system is focusing on. Also the publications themselves have taken over the peer review process.. Using their editor who are often hand picked journalist, (not scientist). That system has been corrupted by politics.
So many scientist are side stepping that system, and publishing their work on the Internet,, (blogs). So it can be read, and peer reviewed by other scientist.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Howie47]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
creationism - relys on faith
evolution - relys on observation

and i'm confused, cause i was never taught creationism, but what version do they teach? Is it the Christianity story or do they create a new version that takes into account all religion.

I can't see how they can teach creationism in a public school when our constitution grants us freedom of religion. Why would an Arab child want to learn about Christian ideology. seems unfair to me.

They should teach every religion's theory if they are going to teach one, but that would take way too long, so they should only teach the correct one... evolution

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by WinoBot

Sorry, but they're much too close minded for that.

And to answer your question, they teach the Christian way, you know, God made the Earth in 6 days only 6,000 years ago, yada yada. Definitely not science, even though it's in science class.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This is why I love my Dutch school.
We approach every angle on the topic of evolution, and none get "pushed" to be taken as true.

We only look at the arguments for each side, and then try to find out which theory would be the most logical.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

Believing in something strongly DOESN'T mean you are closed-minded.

Since you seem to know, How many academic Christians believe and teach a 6,000 year old Earth???
Even in Christian school?

To the Dutch student:

You aren't told "Evolution is a FACT!"??

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Believing in something strongly DOESN'T mean you are closed-minded.

Uh-huh.

Well, I would assume that you would be able to understand what I was saying, but since you felt the need to reply...

Generalizing believing in something is quite different than what these teachers are doing. This is a science class, a SCIENCE class, and they are teaching Christian creationism to these students because that is what they believe. They are assuming they are right and not allowing the kids to at least hear both sides, or at least multiple sides, only their own, because they just know that they're the ones who are right, right? And that doesn't sound close minded to you? Well, I guess when you make a large generalization like you just did, you can make ANYTHING sound any way you want.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

What are academic christians?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

reply to post by WinoBot

Evolutionist are hallucinating then. Because NO ONE has ever seen
Evolution happen! It supposable happens over millions of years?
Not even all the scientific men could make it happen and they been trying for over a century.
Of course we could just redefine Evolution, as something else. Then say we saw it happen. Like my dog just evolved a new litter of puppies.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Howie47

Which would be a very funny post deserving of lots of stars. Except it isn't true. We have seen it happen in test after test after test.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by wytworm]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wytworm

In your dreams, wet dreams. that is how you confuss the word test. with
test icles.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
How do you think churches are controlling their flock?

This is a VERY long discussion from my perspective, and it would deter this thread. The topic is Creationism vs. Evolution, and not my personal views or experiences with Organized Religon.

- Carrot

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
reply to post by bigbert81

You aren't told "Evolution is a FACT!"??

Thats just the thing, it is a fact. Go visit a museum.

The theory is in HOW it works.

Again... I shall repeat this VERY CLEARLY because people seem to be ignoring this, and it is vital to the entire argument.

=================================
Evolution is a fact. It happens, we just don't know HOW it happens. Thats why we have evolutionary theories.
=================================

We have seen the evidence that it happens. We can't deny the evidence, it's in such amazing quantities that we've managed to fill museums in every nation with their own share of the evidence.

Are we on the same page yet?

We know it happens. And hence, we set out to figure out HOW it works... and THATS where the theories start.

There simply isn't any refuting the fact that evolution occurs... attempting to claim it doesn't just means you haven't been educated... or you purposely ignored all facts presented to you. Which is borderline insanity if you ask me.

It's just like the theory of gravity. We KNOW it works, we just haven't proven HOW it works.
If you disagree... go throw yourself off a cliff and find out for yourself.

... oh whats the point. The religious are going to read this, shut their eyes, pretend it's all some kind of a test of faith, (The "LALALA can't hear you" response)... in the long run, Science continues, and religion fails to stop it. Thats the way it has always been, thats the way it will always be.
Accept the inevitable, and stop getting in our way.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by johnsky]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Howie47

reply to post by WinoBot

Evolutionist are hallucinating then. Because NO ONE has ever seen
Evolution happen! It supposable happens over millions of years?

But there is very, very strong evidence to support it.

Watch this from 8:05 (Actually, watch the whole thing), then get back to us.

E.R.V's

And then read this (a very good explanation of E.R.V's) and get back to us:

Endogenous Retroviruses (ERVs) are the relics of ancient viral infections preserved in our DNA. The odd thing is many ERVs are located in exactly the same position on our genome and the chimpanzee genome!

There are two explanations for the perfectly matched ERV locations.
Either it is an unbelievable coincidence that viruses just by chance inserted in exactly the same location in our genomes, or humans and chimps share a common ancestor.

The changes that a pair of virus inserting at the exact same location is 1 in 3.000.000.000. And we share 16 pairs of virus inserting at perfectly matched location.

It was our common ancestor that was infected, and we both inherited the ERVs. ERVs providence the closest thing to a mathematical proof for evolution.

Do some research into E.R.V's as see what you find and then get back to us.

Besides using your amazing wit, can you come up with any credible explanation for E.R.V's that shows that they are not extremely strong evidence for evolution?

Oh Yes:

This:www.answersingenesis.org...

Is refuted by this:

aigbusted.blogspot.com...

So the Answers In Genesis article will not be accepted.

Find your own ...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

Originally posted by bigbert81
Why do people think it's ok to filter out other's educations to fit their own belief systems in?

As long as evolutionary theory is presented fairly and completely, I don't necessarily have a problem with a discussion of creationism. There's nothing wrong with a little side by side comparison, and if evolution is so obviously correct, there's little reason to be concerned about this again, if both sides are given fair, impartial treatment.

Religion has no business in a science class. That's all there is to it. We're supposed to be the most technologically advanced civilization ever - and we still even have to debate on whether or not to teach religion in place of science?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
All this argument does is goes to show how ignorant and stupid Americans have become. Not only that religious fanatics could pose religion as science (how utterly moronic), not only that the most mundane of minds could even consider this to be science, but worse that those amongst you who do remain enlightened and intelligent have not utterly squashed this in its every form.

To those of you who believe this clap-trap just be aware that this is not science, this is not a theory, this is a well orchestrated attempt by religious extremists to have the King James story of creationism re-integrated into schools.

There is absolutely no argument that religion is not science - absolutely NO religious leader would even consider that a possibility. It is absurd in the most extreme.

It is discussions about these kinds of issues which leave one in no doubt that it is well and truly time that organised religion was banned for the nefarious evil practice that it is....

Our civilisation has been held back, punished and restricted by this cult for far too long - it is high time we realised that we are far better off without it.

How does it feel to be so completely and utterly indoctrinated by fantasies, held victim of by a powerful elite for their own purposes and to be a general patsie ? How is it that you can have so little self respect and completely demoralise yourselves with this snake oil ? Is that admitting the truth and accepting the reality is just far more embarrassing ?

[edit on 30-5-2008 by audas]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I know gravity is a fact. Just drop something. Now, what makes it drop?
That is the theory.
What do you see happening, that you equate to be evolution? "All life
having a common ancestor." Surely not the fact that we inherit some
traits from are fathers side of the family and some from our mothers?

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join