It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Monthly Decline in History for Miles Driven

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Largest Monthly Decline in History for Miles Driven

mjperry.blogspot.com

The Transportation Department reported Friday that in March, Americans drove 11 billion fewer miles than in March 2007, a decline of 4.3% (see chart above). It is the first time since 1979 that traffic has dropped from one March to the next, and the month-on-month percentage decline is the largest since record keeping began in 1942.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I guess it is about time. I am honestly surprised it took $4.00/gal for it to happen. Now that they have found our breaking point, will they continue to drive up prices, or will we see them drop to a level that will spur driving again?

mjperry.blogspot.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-5-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
On the one hand, one could argue that we should be driving less, even if only to save the planet. However, saving the planet could have been accomplished without the price of gas skyrocketing if our government had been responsible in the face of climate changes that threaten to wipe us out. If those who have the technology to make the changes were allowed to actually advertise, I think that we would see huge changes in the gas consumption (decreasing) and driving (increasing). This would be ideal for the average American, but the oil companies will work hard against it.

I do wonder what those oil tycoons expect to happen to their children/grandchildren when the wells run dry????

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

If that's what it takes to de-clog our large cities that's good news. Driving is a privilege that has been abused here in the states.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by scarlett1125

If there's a viable alternative source of energy out there, the oil companies will simply reorganize and supply that product instead.

They're not going to do that until the supply of oil becomes seriously constricted, however. Reorganizing and rebuilding the fuel supply structure (whatever that fuel may be) will take billions of dollars and as long as the oil is still flowing, its cheaper for them to just keep the status quo. But make no mistake, they'll not only survive the switch, they'll thrive afterward. Most large companies didn't become powerful by being static or unable to make dramatic shifts due to market conditions or available resources.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Somehow I doubt that this climate change has anything to do with the going-ons of humans. Or at least very little.
The earth goes through cycles. It turns, and moves around in space.

That said, everyone I know has decreased their driving dramatically. It's costing more, to go less miles. So... I do hope that these decreases continue. But really, I think it needs to hit harder before more people think about other options, or choices when it comes to how they get around.

If you think of it this way... Prices have increased 400%. Therefore, driving has to decrease by 1/4th to go back to what was being paid into gas just a couple years ago.
To decrease it more than this, might actually cut into someone's 'bottom-line'.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by gdeed

.... Driving is a privilege that has been abused here in the states.

Definitely not in UK..Driving is a nightmare that is avoided at all costs unless absolutely crucial..for work

Well for me anyway.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by gdeed

Unfortunately driving was always considered a freedom and something that made America unique. Our society was kind of built on that and now we rely on a system based on sprawling cities and highways. Recreational driving has taken a huge hit but people are now suffering and finding it difficult to even do their jobs.

Think of the costs of fuel it takes to truck supplies across the country. Our economy can not afford these prices. It isn't just about recreation any longer, it is about keeping our society afloat.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
1 barrel of oil produces 20 gallons of gas.. $130 divided by 20 = $6.50 a gallon... Why is it only $4.00 a gallon??? I heard that on some talk radio show? Very strange indeed.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ats1629
1 barrel of oil produces 20 gallons of gas.. $130 divided by 20 = $6.50 a gallon... Why is it only $4.00 a gallon??? I heard that on some talk radio show? Very strange indeed.

Is this true?? I mean, I KNOW that oil prices in the US have been kept artifically low for a long time, in comparrison to the rest of the world?

But we are now going to catch up with them. $6.50 seems... Whoa.

Edit: could anyone confirm that?? I know they use filler... To artifically make 'more'.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
www.newton.dep.anl.gov...

A barrel contains 42 gallons. After refining, it makes about 19.5 gallons
of gasoline in addition to numerous other products such as heating oil.

So I think the rest of the price is compensated with the "numerous other products".

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Cool... that makes sense.. good find...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
This thread made me say 'duh' outloud, and I don't ever use that particular word.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I understand what you are saying. I was just surprised that it has taken this long.

Deep down the goal of all my threads is to make people say "Duh".

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

No disrepect to you my friend, you are a welcome and wanted addition to ATS in my Opinion, it is the report on people driving less. How much time do you think was spent, let alone $$$$ , in the study of our use of gas to arrive at the point of saying ' by George, I think we are using less gas'?.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by space cadet]

top topics

join