It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consciousness: stroke of insight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I saw this 20 minute lecture a few weeks ago, and was hoping to find a thread discussing it.......I have searched so sorry if it has already been covered.

Jill Bolte Taylor got a research opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: She had a massive stroke, and watched as her brain functions -- motion, speech, self-awareness –- shut down one by one. An astonishing story.

Brain researcher Jill Bolte Taylor studied her own stroke as it happened -- and has become a powerful voice for brain recovery.

www.ted.com...

As a left handed person (I presume my right side of the brain to be slightly more developed than the left), I feel she described almost exactly (but somewhat exaggerated) my perception of the world when I`m relaxed and not stressed.

Ive never heard a more moving talk and found myself close to weeping as she described my feelings in a way I couldn't.

Or am I just soft?

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Well...........I guess Im on my own then.

I`ll go seek some help

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I can not believe I'm the only one who found this vid amazing.

The way the brain is wired in serial on the left and parallel on the right.

Ah, maybe I smoke too much.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Hello Dillons !

If the video she made inspired you this make's me very happy.

We all need inspiration !

I myself have not seen the video and perhap's wont but dont be too worried if nobody replies to your thread.

Sometime's it's just the way it goes right ?

Take what you gained from the video remember it remember what caused you to be emotional it's about learning about yourself as much as anything else.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Thanks for your post h3akalee.

As someone clever once said:-

Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is evil. The other dog is good. The evil dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, i reflect for a moment and reply, The one I feed the most.

Just feeding my dog I suppose.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Im glad you posted this because it deserves its own space imo
It is a video that i recommend and it inspired me a great deal !

I think it's beautiful the way she is able to share with us her experience.
Think about it, of all people, she a brain scientist actually is able to analyze her
own brain and comes to the conclusion that we are one and the same energy in love and light.

Thanks

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Dillons

I was going to post a link to her New york Times piece this last weekend...
Here
I thought it was definitely interesting, though without any suggestions to help, I think that this needs to be covered in a different way...

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeroenske

Thanks for your post......you've made my effort worthwhile

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Thanks for the New York Times link.

I agree that this should have been covered in a different way, and with hind site........well, trust me to balls it up!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Yeah I saw that a while back & it was a great presentation which set me thinking more about the right brain as well & how it related to the experiencing of the luminous.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This is interesting...........Opera interviewing some bloke about consciousness.

They mention Jill Bolte Taylor and tell there take on it.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Oh....that vid didn't work for some reason so here is the link:-

www.youtube.com...://www.ask.com/video?q=Jill%20Bolte%20Taylor

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Different things touch different people based on where we are on our journey.

This was an interesting an inspiring video, I would say that it touched you greatly because it resonated with something dear to your core belief system.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Thanx for your post interestedalways,.........true to your name.

Yes, I agree "Different things touch different people based on where we are on our journey"........I`m about half way there.

It did resonate with my core belief systems but, I don`t hold them in anything like as high as the truth. If ever I find it I`ll come find you.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Dillon,

I remember seeing that video when someone posted it to my thread a few days ago. It was really good. I have always known on an intuitive level things that she was saying. Her self-surprise was a bit surprising to me. I suppose I take my own experience for granted. Anyway, yes very moving video.

Cheers!

LT

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by telepath

Your welcome!

For me, its Important to know I`m not on my own in my thoughts, views and perceptions.

I think we`re more likely to get some answers to some very old questions, now we have access to these ideas and each other like never before.

Thank you for your post.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yep. I just wathched the video and cried like a baby.
If you can watch that and it doesn't completely move you then I question your humanity.
It wasn't her emotion that made me emotional but the words she was speaking even if written on paper would have made me cry because it rang true like the loudest bell in the world. That was like a drink of cold lemonade on a hot summer day! Thanks for sharing.
Starred and flagged

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by cbass

Some people are too frightened of there own emotions to watch something like this.

Thank you.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Dillons

Hi Dillons...just ran across this thread, glad to see the video featured here. I think in the years to come we will see many more people rejecting the flat and rational thinking for the more intuitive and spiritual. Science tends not to answer question but instead distracts from where I believe we are naturally heading as humans...a higher consciousness.

I try to tune into nature, keep my days and nights quiet, and always meditate. Our world is filled with music...it just gets so drowned out by all the propoganda and struggle.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Aye up there Witness,
I could`nt agree more.

I`m sitting here looking at my cat........thinking, if we could somehow build a robot cat that imitates a real cat exactly.....even down to its fur, how it sheds in the summer etc......it would be worth a fortune.
Yet, my cat is a stray from across the farm and worthless (not to me tho).....life seems so cheap sometimes.

I don`t meditate as such but.........
I remember sitting in my bedroom working on my laptop....stressing out and worrying about nonsense, and I happened to glance across the field, watched the cows lit by the moonlight....utterly beautiful.
The thing is, I had lived there for 5 years and not noticed the things around me.......I change my job after that.
It dawned on me that I`m over spending the most valuable thing I have (time) in the pursuit of something of lesser value (money)......and I was not even earning a descent wage......

Again, life seems so cheap sometimes.

Sorry, I babble on bit.

I hope your right about the future.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join