It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smarter than the average 'Bear' ..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
"Ray Mears goes walkabout.."

New series on BBC2 in case anyone missed the listing..
I TV+ed it and watched it after work last night.. very interesting..

He followed in the tracks of John McDouall Stuart's crossing of Australia in Ep 1.
Got his 4x4 stuck in sand and burnt his 'damper'..
en.wikipedia.org...(food)
Glad to see he's human after all..

For anyone that hasn't seen him in action you can watch it streaming here FOR FREE.. woooooo.!!!Don't ya love BBC sometimes..
www.bbc.co.uk...

Gotta love the 'solar firestarter'

EDIT TO ADD..

Oh Yeah... not a 5-STAR HOTEL in sight..

[edit on 26-5-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Nice one.

I'm having a looky at the solar fire starter now!

The download is 600 MG but worth it for the knowledge!

1* coming your way mate.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
Don't ya love BBC sometimes..

Not since Radio 1 aired Blue Jam.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Hey Agent_T thanks for the info!

Gotta dig ray mears hes the real deal when it comes to survival + bushcraft.
He walks rings around the teddy bear

thanks again!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Updating with ep two
It seems these episodes only stay active till the next one is aired so get a look while you can..

Ray meets up with Bushtucker man Les Hiddins again..
Really great to see like-minds working so well together with the love of the topic in common.

Particularly liked the advice on getting correct mesh size on 'mozzie net' for the hammock and the freshly picked mushroom as tinder.'(looked like a very small dry 'beefsteak' that you get in UK.)

Anyone tried/used/have one of these?
Or recommendations for an alternative?
www.hennessyhammock.com...

Happy huntin.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Youre a lifesaver AGENT_T! I'm in desperate need of something decent to watch tonight since they cancelled battlestar galactica

I saw Ray Mears use a hennesey Hammock one time when he was doing a show in the jungle, it looked perfect for that kind of situation.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by fred3110
I saw Ray Mears use a hennesey Hammock one time when he was doing a show in the jungle, it looked perfect for that kind of situation.

O yeah.that's one mean 'survival' tool.. mmmmm comfy..

You don't even have to rig it up on trees of course..
Between vans,huts anything..or plant your own supports.
The smart thing about that is.. it's lighter than a tent and bedroll.. AND gets you off the ground in uncomfortable rocky/lumpy ground..

It's next on my 'wishlist'... then a..*cough* 30ft sailing yacht.
.. (4 berth.. looking for a crew..:lol

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Its tempting...very tempting to get one of these instead of a tent with bedroll etc they probably work out the same money wise aswell.

I was just watching a vid on youtube (link below) they dont look to hard to set up and it looks sooo comfy compared to the hard old ground!

If your crew get to sleep in hennesy hammocks sign me up, I'll swab the decks hoist the cannons or cook the food, whatever you need

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Episode 3.
www.bbc.co.uk...

en.wikipedia.org...

Follows a look at Scottish 16yrold girl Barbara Thompson (No wiki entry)shipwrecked 1844 and 'adopted' into an aboriginal village..

Lucky for her she look liked the Chief's recently deceased daughter(turned white) otherwise she would have been a 'side-course' with mangos instead.

A little disappointed with this episode..only because it shows lighting the 'termite mound oven' with a 'cig lighter' and Ray with his 'fire bow' made from shoe-lace instead of making his own bowstring..boo..Cheat..

It worked a dream of course..

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Latest installment..
Interesting but not really 'survival' orientated.
Rock art anyone?..kinda like pop-art but lumpier..

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Ray Mears Goes Walkabout used the book "Wildflower" The Barbara Crawford Thompson Story to tell of this 12 yera old girl's five year long stay on an island inhabited by headhunters. Forced to marry one of the warriors because she was believed to be the spirit of a dead native girl returning to her tribe, Barbara Crawford Thompson lived a very dramatic life [Google the full title of the book to read more] Barbara was only 13 years old when cast away and still only 18 when found, her story had been little known until new discoveries were made between 1990 and 2003.
RayW1

new topics

top topics

join