It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous Posting on ATS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

The amount of posts happening here on a day, mistakes and/or differences in what constitutes "important/contributing post" will happen.

Well then obviously more staff are required to make it effective. The post I linked to, publicly and anonomously accused a police officer of corruption. If things like that are going to slip through the cracks, then the sytem is not working.

Here it is again

Originally posted by Anon
....... ...... ..... IS THAT RAT COP YOU'RE SPAKING ABOUT. HE WORKS FOR THE LEESBURG POLICE DEPT. LEESBURG, VA.

(Removed name out of respect for the men and women of law enforcement)

CT

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracy Theorist

I removed the name. Thanks for bringing it to our attention in a third attempt.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I removed the name. Thanks for bringing it to our attention in a third attempt.

Thank you for acting on it skyfloating. I was pretty outraged that I had brought it up several times and still it was allowed to remain. Several members of my family are police officers and I would loathe to see their good names linked to corruption by some anonymous post on an internet board.

CT

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

In the future can you mention the specific issue you have with something? For all we know the name is fake, the guy is corrupt, etc...

With 5000+ posts a day it's impossible to "figure out" what's wrong in someone's eyes. If you would have simply asked "why is the Officer's name allowed to be posted when he has not been prosecuted for anything?" it would have made sense.

Straight to the point is always best.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Well I linked to the post at least 4 times. I thought someone would have the courtesy of clicking on it before attempting to answer without any of the facts.

You yourself answered me in the ATS issues thread. It is obvious you didnt take the 5 seconds required to look at it. But still felt you could answer. Why?

CT

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Sorry to interject here, but if you have an issue you feel needs urgent attention, just drop staff a U2U or use the Complaint-Form. Thats the quicker way to get stuff handled.

At moments of utmost displeasure a U2U is even quicker, provided the staff member is online.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Good News

Since the beginning of Anonymous posting, we´ve at had least one anonymous poster becoming a member a day.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
And how does this compare to previous membership rates prior to the anonymous posting option? Also, how can you determine that an anonymous poster has become a member? Not all that anonymous then, is it?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I'd have to agree that its hurting our normally good and relevant threads on the Aviation forums to give an example of why this system does more harm then good.

If the posts never get approved its because they are worthless but still the thread gets pointlessly moved to the top. So a pointless point isn't allowed but a irrelevant thread is allowed to be moved up. So now we waste actual users time and energy hunting even if the anon posting got through.

Bottom line I'll agree its hurting at least this forum and the current aviation threads by displacing them with the sheer number of no existent posts or irrelevant or misleading information on long dead subjects.

Is there any chance that this pain in the @rse will leave us anytime soon? If not I'll have to seriously consider if this forum is worth posting good information as it is soon overrun by either nothing or cr@p.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

Sorry Richard I didn't see your post before I did but it provides great support for what we are both saying. With the 10 or so thread that all are now on the front page of the Aviation forum thats 10 relevant users that have been bumped and now that information will probably not be seen again or replied too.

Can someone tell me why this system was changed like this. I mean like an honest answer like say to cater to the scoffers who what to harass a thread or so that people could create even more pointless work load for already busy mods? I know I'm being more then a bit harsh but I can't understand how the positives of this features outweigh the negatives.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Good News

Since the beginning of Anonymous posting, we´ve at had least one anonymous poster becoming a member a day.

I can't say that I find that really worth the pain that they are causing.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Canada_EH]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willard856
And how does this compare to previous membership rates prior to the anonymous posting option? Also, how can you determine that an anonymous poster has become a member? Not all that anonymous then, is it?

IT has been mentioned before (maybe in this thread) that IP addresses are logged. So it's a simple task to match ip's to usernames.

I have to agree with another member that based on the one per day membership rate so far, it hardly seems worth it.

What was the membership rate prior to the anony usernames?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
That was kind of my point. Why bother touting the post as anonymous, when it really isn't. All the anon posting option is doing is flooding threads with useless info, with no real anonymity benefit.

It has been the quality of thread content that has attracted users to ATS. The way I see it, the anon poster is a drain on staff time that would be better spent on actual members who contribute to ATS. And the net of one new member a day really doesn't sound that impressive to me.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Hello all,

I think anonymous posting is good it lets cowards speak their mind.

Everyone should peak his or her mind, especially if you’re a coward.

It’s like alcohol a drunk never lies.

For a while I thought the anonymous posters were one person I was like “wow that’s a cool profile and man this guy gets around” lol

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Willard856

Its because they say "I just signed up, I was the guy posting anonymously with you".

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tuebor

I have to agree with another member that based on the one per day membership rate so far, it hardly seems worth it.

What was the membership rate prior to the anony usernames?

Sorry, its certainly more than that. I was only referring to the ones known or the ones I have seen.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Announcement

The purpose of this thread was to collect all the questions and answers from the many different threads into one thread and re-direct new threads to this one.

Unless new questions/issues that havent been answered yet or are not known to staff, come up Complaints should be made using the Complaints/Suggestions Form

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Canada_EH

Hi there Canada EH,

thanks for bringing this to staff attention. We´ll try to pay more attention to that Forum.

Please notice the new "ignore" function you can activate for anonymous posters you think are wasting your time.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Could it be that anonymous posting is more profitable for advertising purposes then not. Is ATS in the business to make a profit and to stay in business therefore the more views the more apt of making a percentage of a product sell from pop ups or standard advertising? Do not know the answer, that is why I am asking. Rik Riley

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Please notice the new "ignore" function you can activate for anonymous posters you think are wasting your time.

Can we please have an ignore facility that works against all anonymous posts?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join