It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Search for Titanic was cover for secret Cold War subs mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Search for Titanic was cover for secret Cold War subs mission

www.timesonline.co.uk

The man who located the wreck of the Titanic has revealed that the discovery was a cover story to camouflage the real mission of inspecting the wrecks of two Cold War nuclear submarines.

When Bob Ballard led a team that pinpointed the wreckage of the liner in 1985 he had already completed his main task of finding out what happened to USS Thresher and USS Scorpion.

Both of the United States Navy vessels sank during the 1960s, killing more than 200 men and giving rise to fears that at least one of them, Scorpion, had been sunk by the USSR.

Dr Ballard, an oceanographer, has admitted that he located and inspected the wrecks for the US Navy in top secret missions before he was allowed to search for the Titanic.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   

“I couldn’t tell anybody,” he said. “There was a lot of pressure on me. It was a secret mission. I felt it was a fair exchange for getting a chance to look for the Titanic.

“We handed the data to the experts. They never told us what they concluded – our job was to collect the data. I can only talk about it now because it has been declassified.”

Wow, this is an interesting twist. There have been no shortage of conspiracy theories about the Titanic but I would have never guessed this one.

The article states that a documentary titled Titanic: The Final Secret will be shown on the National Geographic Channel at 9pm on June 8. This will definitely be one to watch...

(thread title edited for clarity)

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I hate to say this is old news, but I've known about this for at least a couple of years. There was a documentary on the television, I don't recall if it was History or Discovery or something similar and Mr. Ballard talked about it. Seemed a goood compromise to me, get a chance to hunt for a famous wreck, and get an expierienced crew to find to other secret and potentionally harmful wrcks.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I think this will be a good one to watch. To bad I dont have national geographic channel. Maby it will come out on pbs some time.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
This is not "news". The backstory behind the Titanic's discovery has been known about for years, since Ballard's ghost-written autobiography was published. Indeed, an interview that Ballard gave to Omni magazine in 1986 revealed the whole story!

A much more interesting angle can be found here: www.paullee.com...

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Heh...just goes to show how far ahead of the curve people can be (or behind as the case may be). You know, I saw in the comments for that article that someone mentioned already having known about this so I did a google news search (which only got recent hits) and a forum search got nothing. Guess I didnt look deep enough.

I'd imagine the timing of this news item might have had something to do with pimping the documentary on Discovery then.

new topics

top topics

join