It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you doubt Global Warming?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I've said it before - I've been a member of greenpeace for many years, and support environmental issues (within reason) and the wider issues of sustainability.

I live a pretty frugal lifestyle, with no car, few electrical appliances, and the appliances I do have are as economical and "green" as I can get.

BUT - I still believe AGW is nothing more than a scam.

It's never been proven because it CAN'T be proven - it's a complete load of absolute rubbish promulgated for political and personal gain by one of the biggest hypocrites on the planet.

Can we help the planet and conserve resources?

Yes.

Can we stop "climate change"

Not a chance in hell - might as well be king canute trying to hold back the tide by commanding it to stop.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
I've said it before - I've been a member of greenpeace for many years, and support environmental issues (within reason) and the wider issues of sustainability.

I live a pretty frugal lifestyle, with no car, few electrical appliances, and the appliances I do have are as economical and "green" as I can get.

BUT - I still believe AGW is nothing more than a scam.

It's never been proven because it CAN'T be proven - it's a complete load of absolute rubbish promulgated for political and personal gain by one of the biggest hypocrites on the planet.

Can we help the planet and conserve resources?

Yes.

Can we stop "climate change"

Not a chance in hell - might as well be king canute trying to hold back the tide by commanding it to stop.

i never thought id' say this to a member of green peace, but

You are absolutely right!

Thank you for going against the grain of your own surroudnings to let truth prevail. You have my respect, if that means anything to ya

And it should....i mean...if you knew who i was and all

[edit on 29-5-2008 by ybab hsur]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
But of course you realize that global warming and environmentalism need not stand in opposition. You'd be surprised at how many environmentalists (including me) do not support the AGW hypothesis.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ybab hsur

Nope, I don't know who you are, but you can always u2u me and let me know.

Regardless of this, it's nice to see people with an open mind about how others see alleged AGW, and I thank you for your kind words.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

You'd be surprised at how many environmentalists (including me) do not support the AGW hypothesis.

A friend of mine recently pointed out to me how political the term "environmentalist" has become. He loves nature and the outdoors, and lives what many would consider a 'sustainable' lifestyle. He will not let anyone call him an environmentalist. Instead he prefers to be called a "conservationist." What a great idea!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Thanks for your responses. It's been interesting to see your point of view.

It seems for the most part that it is not the fact of global warming that is disputed, but rather its link to human activity (at least among those who have posted replies). Have I understood the responses correctly that most of you do accept the data that shows that the world is becoming hotter, but do not find the evidence convincing that greenhouse gasses are the cause and/or do not see global warming as being as great a concern as other environmental matters?

It's heartening to see that those who consider themselves skeptics are still environmentally concerned.

I can relate well to that point of view. I only fairly recently myself became convinced that global warming should truly be a significant concern, whether man-made or not.

As a resident of Alaska, I formerly even welcomed a little global warming. (And many Alaskans would say "Bring it on!) Indeed, I've heard that warmer temperatures could be quite beneficial to some northern climates that would likely see a boost to crop yields.

Also, warming or cooling seems quite natural when looking at geological history. Whether this warming trend is man-made, natural, or a mixture of both, it seemed to me that the earth had passed through similar stuff before and shouldn't have a problem doing it again. Sure, some habitats would change, but you can't expect things to stay the same forever. Change is a part of life.

Even if some animal species went extinct from habitat change, I'm not one that thinks it is really within human ability or responsibility to preserve them all. There were extinctions when we came out of the last ice age and many other times in the past, but other species arose to take their place. Yes, we should still be responsible about not over-hunting or destroying habitat, but there are reasonable limits to conservation. (I don't personally feel that spotted owls would be missed all that badly.)

In summary, I accepted global warming as a fact and possibly man-made, but not really anything to be concerned about.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
There were a couple of things I came across that changed my view however, and I'll share them in case there are others of a similar mind-set to mind who could benefit from this information.

The first bit of info was that this current warming trend is not equal to those in the past, or at least does not appear to be. Yes, warming occurred in the past and we can roughly measure it through ice core data from glaciers and ice caps.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join