It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the deeply religious who feel god has made a change in their lives... answer this

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
So here we go again
How many of these type of threads have i read since i have been floating around here for the last few years.
This is just another "Does God Excist",no more than that.
As another person has already stated here,you can see famine all over the world,its not exactly a rare occurence.
Yes the photographer could have helped the child,and he may well have taken his own life due to him not helping this child,but that is not an action of a god who may or may not exsist.
And what about all the children who are starving in the western world,what about all the children who are being killied and sexually abused by a person or parent right now?.
WE are responsible for our own actions.
At the end of the day why not blame our own corrupt governments for not acting or you could blame the huge corporations like shell pertoleum who just made 3.8 billion pounds in profit for the first 3 months of this year,a small percentage of that would go a very very long way to stop famine in the third world.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ybab hsur

Thank you buddy, useful info I will go away to dwell on for a bit. Im not keen on the OP mentality of questions anymore thats why I said its a silly thread, even if I do sometimes sling out one of those kinda questions myself it only slaps me back in the face, depending on who Im talking to and how deep they are
those sort of questions do have some validity, but only at 'first awakening' .. as I'l coin it.. after that it gets so deep and we all contradict ourselves.. just like the bible seems to do to itself with God.... hence my name, as I was saying to somebody earlier all is one big paradox.

Back later

[edit] THE DIVINE PARADOX.

“The half-wise, recognizing the comparative unreality of the Universe, imagine that they may defy its Laws– such are vain and presumptuous fools, and they are broken against the rocks and torn asunder by the elements by reason of their folly. The truly wise, knowing the nature of the Universe, use Law against laws; the higher against the lower; and by the Art of Alchemy transmute that which is undesirable into that which is worthy, and thus triumph. Mastery consists not in abnormal dreams, visions and fantastic imaginings or living, but in using the higher forces against the lower–escaping the pains of the lower planes by vibrating on the higher. Transmutation, not presumptuous denial, is the weapon of the Master.” –The Kybalion.

[edit on 05/09/2008 by P-a-r-a-d-o-X-2]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by narissa83

just a couple quotes that turned me away from the bible;
If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son ... Then shall his father and his mother ... bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die.
-- Deuteronomy 21:18-21 (AV)
God did tempt Abraham, ... And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest ... and offer him there for a burnt offering...
-- Genesis 22:1-2 (AV)
There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.
-- Ezekiel 23:20 (NIV)
If a man [meets] a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her ... He must marry the girl ... He can never divorce her as long as he lives.
-- Deuteronomy 22:28-29 (NIV)

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by P-a-r-a-d-o-X-2

I think that everyone is indeed getting wore out.

I can really say no more about this unless i start retreading the same path, and i dont wish to do that.

What i will say is this:
No matter which ideal you choose to examine, beit religion, race, etc, there are going to be extremists who make that ideology look bad. Now, opposers of said ideology are going to use those extremists to make their point, but are going to blind you to the rest of said ideal.

Like when 9/11 happened, really all you heard about was extremist muslims, not the peace loving people that occupy the majority.

The same thing happens with atheism and religion. But before you go jumping into a debate, draw yourself back and examine what is really going on.

If atheists are having a debate on the non-existence of God, and you chime in telling them they are stupid, they are wrong, they are this and that (while you are right) you are going to do nothing but fuel their fire if they did not ask for your input. Same thing goes for non-believers.

To come to our thread and say "here we go again, god doesnt exist, blah blah blah" You bring no fortitude to the table to carry on a debate, you only bring your own worthless opinion. If you disagree with what we're talking about, then go to another forum. Otherwise you make yourself look like an ass. if you like looking like an ass, then fine, its just as easy for me to ignore you.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by narissa83

just a couple quotes that turned me away from the bible;
If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son ... Then shall his father and his mother ... bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die.
-- Deuteronomy 21:18-21 (AV)
God did tempt Abraham, ... And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest ... and offer him there for a burnt offering...
-- Genesis 22:1-2 (AV)
There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.
-- Ezekiel 23:20 (NIV)
If a man [meets] a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her ... He must marry the girl ... He can never divorce her as long as he lives.
-- Deuteronomy 22:28-29 (NIV)

1.) If you read further into that story - God stops Abraham before he sacrifies. God was testing Abraham, and ol Abe never actually carried through with burning his own son.

The other 2 or 3 or whatever, ill have to cover when i get home, as im leaving my store right now. See you soon

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
You ask why doesn't God take a little time out of his day to help that poor little child...

God isn't a puppet master, he gave us free will. It's up to us...US...not divinity to help our fellow man. Do children like that one die every day, every where in the world? Yes. Whilst people like you and I, and billions of others sit on our fat and happy duffs doing nothing about it. You wanna blame God? His responce will be something along the lines of I put you on Earth to help each other, for you are your brothers keeper. No one else, not that nebulous other, you. If it makes you feel better to blame God, have at it.

It is up to us to find the wherewithall to help, not God. He will only inspire, not do. You don't like it? Take it up with Her.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
well GOD gave us the ultimate responsiblty free will and we abused it its not gods fault that that child starves its ours we created this #ed up system and now we must live in it G he could come and help us but then that would interfre wit the free will he gave us and we wouldnt be grateful either if he did we would just demand more and more humans as a rule a greedy #s

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

This is my take on how DEEPLY RELIGIOUS PERSONS will justify this horrific picture...

1. THE PARCHED FRUITLESS LAND MEANS... 'ANTI-EDEN' BECAUSE ALL PEOPLES, ESPECIALLY, NON-CHRISTIAN AFRICANS ARE BORN INTO EXTRA SIN. BECAUSE THEIR SKIN IS DARK AND THEY ARE NOT CONSIDERED CHOSEN-ONE'S BY GOD WRITTEN JEWISH FACTS THAT ARE PROMOTED AND ENFORCED IN THE BIBLICAL TEXT.

2. THE VULTURE REPRESENTS.... A COWARDLY, WINGED, SATAN ABOUT TO POUNCE ON MANKIND.

3. THE CHILDS SUBMISSIVE FETAL POSITION MEANS... HE WANTS THE BIRD TO EAT HIM BECAUSE HE WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN ON A EMPTY STOMACH... WHILE FILLING THE BIRDS GUT IN PREPARATION FOR A 7 DAY FLIGHT BACK TO HELL IN THE CENTER OF THE EARTH... WHERE UPON HIS RETURN HE'LL GET A HERO'S WELCOME THROUGH PILLARS OF SALT... WITH A BOTTLE OF 'FOOT STOMPED' WINE.

4. THE ANGLE OF ATTACK MEANS... SATAN IS SCARED TO LOOK INTO THE CHILDS EYES... SO A REAR-END ASSALT IS MANS INABILITY TO REALIZE A FAIR-FACED JESUS, ON A CROSS, IS THE TRUE SAVOR IN THE UNIVERSE... AND IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THIS... YOU ARE A SINNER.

5. THE FACT THE CHILD IS LOOKING DOWN MEANS... HE'S LOOKING AT HELL WITH THE X-RAY VISION GOD GAVE HIM.... SO HE CAN SEE THE PAIN HE'S ABOUT ENDURE FOR ALL ETERNITY AS GODS 'TAPE WORMS' PREP HIS LARGE INTESTINE FOR THE RIDE.

6. THE TREES IN THE BACKGROUND MEAN... GOD AND HIS ANGEL'S ARE LOOKING FROM THE BRANCHES OF LIFE... ONCE THE CHILD IS EATEN HOWEVER. THE TREES CAN BE CUT AS SACRED FIREWOOD TO STOKE THE GOD'S FURNACE'S, THUS THE CYCLE GOOD OVER EVIL IS COMPLETE.

7. ANGLE OF SUBJECTS IN PICTURE MEANS... BIRD AND CHILD ARE ON THE SAME LEVEL... AND ACTUALLY THE CHILD IS SATAN AND THE BIRD REPRESENTS GOD WANTING TO CLAIM WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY HIS... BY DEVOURING STARVATION FROM A INFANTILE LEVEL IN ORDER TO PROVE EVERY OTHER RELIGION IS BAD, WHILE PROMOTING CHRISTIANIY AS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD WITH NO REAL FACTS.

Alex you hit a homerun... they cannot even comprehend a comeback!!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Is it just me, or am I the only one that remembers that God himself said,

"Blest are the hungry," and "Blest are the poor in spirit,"

It is our job as human beings to take care of each other. God gave us free will to make that very decision whether or not to help children like that. The photographer had the opportunity to help that child and he didn't take it. THAT was HIS free will, his choice to not help. WE can help. WE can do something to help starving people.

As for God taking time out to help starving children, Who are you to question his motives? Are you not human, just the same as all of us, and do you not make the same errors everyone else on the damned rock makes? Are humans worthy of God's time TO help? If God helps someone, it is because God has planned it that way. God takes care of all his children, whether it is in this reality, or the next. Just imagine what the child must have felt as soon as he did die....pure joy, and infinite bliss.! God doesn't want us to suffer, but sometimes it is neccesary. And not always is God putting the suffering on the one who is to learn, but through others, like this child. The Photographer took this picture, and the child may have died, but many others saw this picture and were made aware of the atrocities in sudan. That one child may have set in motion hundreds of peoples lives to help others, and perhaps thousands of childrens lives have been saved because of that one starving child in the picture....It may sound unjust of God to use that child for the example in life, but once again, who are we to understand the motives of God? He is the beneficient, wise creator of All, and he gave us life. Take it and use it, help others, and don't waste it bickering about what could be done.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ybab hsur

WTF was that all about
you totally got the wrong end of my last post there mate. Was all that 'you' stuff directed at me?

By the way this isnt your thread or a Christians believing thread its a thread debating Christians and the bible and basically against you.. far as I was aware I was starting to have a half decent convo and being sweet, even added you on my friends list cause I liked what you had to say, then you go telling me to more or less piss off somewhere else
baffled... but as I said maybe you wasnt directing it at me just anybody in general.. and if thats the case you should change some 'yous' and 'yours' cause all that seems to be directed at me seeing as youre replying to me.

Peace

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
To the OP.....

Your question is one ive always asked myself... and maybe been the reason i have never been religious or believed in any one 'god'... i find it hard to believe a god would look down on this planet and be happy to sit back and see such suffering on a daily basis..... or choose to help certain individuals over others??????...... just as my 8 yr old son does not believe in santa, he asked why doesnt santa take presents to starving children in thirld world countries?

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I think a good way to tell that this thread is really, really stupid is the fact that the OP no longer shames himself by posting here.

Way to go AlexG141989, you've made 19 year olds lose clout worldwide.

Believe me, there will be no conclusions to come of this. There will not be anything contained within these pages that will make you not feel like you've just wasted your time watching a two hour book signing on CSPAN-2.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by italkyoulisten]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It also makes me wonder why, with a wave of his hand, he didn't stop 2 planes from hitting the WTC's, 1 crash in a field killing all aboard, and one crashing into the pentagon. Surely all those people in those buildings and on the planes couldn't have all been bad??????

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by italkyoulisten
I think a good way to tell that this thread is really, really stupid is the fact that the OP no longer shames himself by posting here.

Way to go AlexG141989, you've made 19 year olds lose clout worldwide.

Believe me, there will be no conclusions to come of this. There will not be anything contained within these pages that will make you not feel like you've just wasted your time watching a two hour book signing on CSPAN-2.

If this thread is so stupid then why do you bother to post to it? Find another thread and take your negativity with you.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I will explain hold.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
it's a rough world for some which is sad..it's up to us to make a difference..modern society sucks in lots of ways....greed/money is the root of all evil imo..if there was no money system we would be helping each other out by planting crops and gather food for our families and villages.

i can go on and on on how bad society is.....

what is most sad to me is how the anu came here and made us slaves and set up governemnts to control us

i guess we are supposed to forgive them and our governemnt...i guess i can do that,depends on how they handle niburu and if they are gonna take care of all of us...i dunno,confusing times for me,but i want to stay positive

edit=there is a creator a god

basically if you want to know how things started,here you go

www.youtube.com...
[edit on 26-5-2008 by Skipper1975]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Lantian

Where is Atlantis?

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Short answer: God doesn't exist. There is no higher power.

Would explain a lot.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lurch
Short answer: God doesn't exist. There is no higher power.

Would explain a lot.

But opens up even more mysterious and unsolvable questions.

As far as im concerned this discussion is over. If you don't believe in God, then its your soul, not mine.
If you do believe in God, good for you.

If you're not sure, and you have questions, send me a message, and we'll talk

No matter what - I love you, and God loves you. Have a terrific day!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

The reason to this is because I do like religious/philosophical debates. But upon reading parts of this thread, and seeing the debate, I am just saying that not only will it lead you nowhere, the whole point of this is dumb. Who thinks you can actually prove or disprove that the Christian omnipresent and omnipotent god exists? Well, I guess you guys think you can, but the OP presents an argument not based upon logic but upon emotion.

Who says Africans dying is a bad thing? Without people is there a really good or a bad? No. Good and Bad are not intrinsic values of things or situations. People assess a situation or an object, and deem it good or bad, based solely upon their own subjective perspectives. I mean we are over-populated. Maybe more people dying is a "good" thing? Or would saying that make me a "bad" person?

What I am saying here is this: something "good" is only "good" because it either benefits the person who views it as "good", or society considers it "good". In this case, society deems helping those in need to be "good". "Bad" is the opposite, of course.

If the Christian god does exist, why must he obey human society's conceptualization of good or bad? He also does not (and cannot) gain or lose, since he is supposed to be all powerful. Therefore, since the Christian god is not a part of human society, and never gains nor loses, then he must always be neutral, which means that he doesn't care, which contradicts the Christian definition of god anyway. This is why arguments about Christianity is really, really pointless because there are just so many contradictions. Also, no matter how many contradictions you point out, they (the Christians) will not believe you, nor care. This whole thread seems to be based upon bellyfeel.

I am not an atheist by the way.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join