It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Mars Pictures from Phoenix lander!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by metro
Second of all, this also isn't a mission to satisfy your curiosity by landing on some dune just to show you that it is what everyone thought it was - a dune. They are not spending hundreds of millions of dollars to go to places when they already know whats there. The idea is to find life, not take a single 360 panoramic picture of sand dunes.

Then why are they showing us sand dunes again especially in the polar region of mars?

Thirdly, until there is some solid proof, there is no conspiracy here about doctored images or censored images or even fake coloring. NASA themselves even stated that they use color-correcting measures to make sure they get an accurate image. They also change the filters to better suit the lighting.

Right. More problems and more poor quality images.........

Doesn't this excuse ever get old?

You guys have some very, very active imaginations. If they find life, they will let you know. They certainly aren't going to find it in the places some of you would stick the probe in, thats for sure and they certainly aren't going to censor the news if they find life because thats the whole damn point of this mission.

No. Its NASA that has an over-active imagination! I guess that damm Brooking Institute report about censoring alien civilasations is still in effect.

When will it be reconsidered? I think the majority of people can handle the truth. What do you think?

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I was watching the science channel special lastnight called "Mars, Phoneix lands" or something. It was an interesting show but one thing caught my attention.

A Nasa employee was asked some questions and what he said was that they would "Process the images to make them look like Mars" or something to that effect. How about showing us what Mars actually friggin looks like for once? So ridiculous!

-ChriS

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by metro If they find life, they will let you know.

Of course they will... they have always been up front with us and will make an immediate press release.. the minute they find life

Originally posted by wang_ke_~
So I'm just wondering but why did NASA include that DVD with that sci-fi library on it and the names of 250,000 people?

Well then they must have a DVD player on board the Phoenix, otherwise why bother? Unless they figure that life has one already AND can understand English

Maybe that list of names is a hit list
"Dear Martians... please eliminate the following....

errrr hehehe

From NASA.... "In Your Face..."

No MAYBE if they stopped showing me rocks that look like Nevada... MAYBE I will believe they are on Mars

MAYBE

[edit on 26-5-2008 by zorgon]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Firstly, these aren't just more sand dunes and we have never seen pictures of the polar region from the surface before. Have you forgotten the fact that this is the first time there has been a successful landing at the poles?

The reason they're looking at these 'sand dunes' is because of how they believe they have formed, from frozen ice under the ground causing the formation as the temperatures rise and the water becomes sublime.. it doesn't actually melt as on earth.

Zorgon, the reason they chose this type of landing spot and not on a sheet of pure CO2 ice is because they want to actually be able to obtain samples. They've stated they can't drill or dig up into solid ice. The hardest they can obtain samples from is from an area that would be just a little less harder then concrete.

Don't forget about the temperatures at which they can operate in. The temps can get as low as -200c. If the temperature gets too low the greases in the gears will cause malfunctions. Once the temperatures drop this area will be covered in frozen CO2.

I think you guys need to look at these pictures and the intentions of the mission more from a geologists perspective.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by zarlaan]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarlaan
Zorgon, the reason they chose this type of landing spot and not on a sheet of pure CO2 ice is because they want to actually be able to obtain samples. They've stated they can't drill or dig up into solid ice. The hardest they can obtain samples from is from an area that would be just a little less harder then concrete.

Oh for crying out loud!!!!

The two rovers have been using the RAT abrasion tool for years with no replacement and drilling into stuff a lot harder that ice or concrete

I have diamond drills and cutters that will cut corundum (go look up how hard that is...

Please do not give me the BS that they cannot drill into something as hard as ice... NASA had experimental probes in the Arctic and Antarctic doing just that getting ready for Europa

NASA says? OY

[edit on 26-5-2008 by zorgon]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Firstly, these aren't just more sand dunes and we have never seen pictures of the polar region from the surface before. Have you forgotten the fact that this is the first time there has been a successful landing at the poles?

The reason they're looking at these 'sand dunes' is because of how they believe they have formed, from frozen ice under the ground causing the formation as the temperatures rise and the water becomes sublime.. it doesn't actually melt as on earth.

I think you guys need to look at these pictures and the intentions of the mission more from a geologists perspective.

Actually they can drill to a degree. They have a masonry bit onboard for cutting into the hard ice to obtain samples because in testing they discovered the frozen material was too hard for samples to be obtained. The actual bit they are using is a masonry cutting bit bought from a hardware store!! They demonstrated it on the science channel lastnight.

And let's not forget that they only have 4 "single-use" beakers for the MECA experiments. They have 4 chances to find life and all samples are gonna be taken from an extremely small area since the lander can't move along like the rovers did.

Hopefully they at least give us some photos that are mars not photos that "Look like mars". Makes me kinda sick to my stomach to think that the NASA scientists somehow know more about what Mars should look like than Mars itself. Ridiculous! Great post BTW Zorgon..

-ChriS

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

I'm aware of that. But they have other agendas and reason for this kind of landing other then on a pure sheet of CO2 ice to please people like Zorgon

Hell, I'd love to see that kind of thing myself just as much really. But, until I can get the funds to launch a probe of my own we'll just have to make due.

www.spacedaily.com...

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

Yes, how sad for those who have made the government their god that there exists those who would apply critical thinking to what that god tells the people.

Originally posted by malcr
Surely you don't believe that NASA would perpetuate a myth created by an incorrect assumption 40 years ago that has resulted in decades of scientists reputations anchored to a red sky...do you?

Why you tin foil hat wearing, pointy headed conspiracy nut!
We all know that there's no place for self interest in pure science.

reply to post by zorgon

Great stuff zorgon. But you know what you will get in response to your questions....

Never
A
Straight
Answer

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Are they searching for "rare minerals" or life?

Maybe they find "UnUnPentium" aka element 115.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistor
Great stuff zorgon. But you know what you will get in response to your questions....

Well perhaps not in the thread.. but there are other 'rewards'

But have you noticed every time something like this comes up, there is a rash of newbies coming on strong defending NASA

Curiouser and curiouser said Alice

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by zarlaan

Well exactly. It isn't a drill at all. But they do have the capability to cut into the icy surface if they need to.

In 2005, the team began working on an alternative design to loosen and collect an icy sample more quickly. JPL's Gregory Peters came up with the idea of a motorized rasp to replace one of the sets of blades. Honeybee Robotics Spacecraft Mechanisms Corp., New York, built and tested the redesigned scoop. The rasp uses a tile-cutting bit lowered at an angle through a slot in the bottom of the scoop. Tests indicate the system can loosen and lift and deliver an icy sample in about half an hour, which is believed to be quick enough to outrun sublimation of the exposed ice under Martian atmospheric conditions.

Also just thought I would share this photo, captured by HiRISE, from a new NASA Press Release which shows Phoneix parachuting down to Mars.
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

-ChriS

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I'd guess not as many old timers wearing foil hats coming to bash against NASA. Sorry, but i couldn't resist in defense. I have just as much speculations against NASA or any government agency really. But, I do try to keep an open mind for all sides regardless who's publishing the information.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, just trying to make a point that it's barely been 24hrs since the landing and tests haven't even been done yet. We're going to have a ton of things in the following 90 days from this landing to talk about.

How about we all just agree to be happy the mission was a success and hope to finding out new information in the advancement of science and further successful missions.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

Nice

I guess they wanted proof it actually landed on Mars
Crafty little devils

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Well first of all, Nasa has never sent any probes to Mars. The images are all of the Atacama Desert in Chile.

Atacama Desert, Chile. Notice the person walking in the photo.

Why did NASA choose the Atacama desert to take photographs in? Because the terrain is plantless, contains little life, and greatly resembles the terrain on Mars.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I really wish NASA would quit with all these fake missions. It's about time they stopped this childish game. TPTB set up a colony on Mars in the 1950s and there are hundreds of humans living there and studying the vast ruins and technology on the planet.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by flashstorminc]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by flashstorminc
I really wish NASA would quit with all these fake missions. It's about time they stopped this childish game. TPTB set up a colony on Mars in the 1950s and there are hundreds of humans living there and studying the vast ruins and technology on the planet.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by flashstorminc]

How else are they going to show to the people that all their tax money is not going into 'black' projects?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Yesterday I saw in one of the new pictures you can see sort of a white thing off in the distance, well I was watching the 10 o clock news last night, and when they showed the pictures I could have sworn that the object was not there anymore. Anyone else notice this?

The news station was KRQE news 13, in albuquerque.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Makes me wonder where that money is really going.
I can hear NASA now. " OK guys we need more money for the black projects so let's put together a lander from all this junk we got here that will cost $500,000,000 dollars to build and deliver to the (earth) desert. Everyone will think it's mars with the reddish tint lens we use and we'll make us some money the easy way."

I'm with Zorgon about the ice
Where is it? This is ridiculous and I'm not falling for it this time. They made a lander that can't move and I know they(NASA) are going to say the ice is about a mile away from where it landed. Unfortunately we can't move this billion dollar project anywhere to see it.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentStovkowski

Your RIGHT

Viking landers may have found Martian life after all
space.newscientist.com...

ALMA, based in Chile's Atacama desert, will use up to 64 antennas when it is finished in 2012

Thanks for the tip

This just opened a huge can of worms

Caption:The trace amount of organic matter in soil from the Atacama desert in Chile did not decompose into smaller molecules when heated to the temperatures used in Viking's GCMS experiment (Image: Rafael Navarro-González)

DANG and here I thought they used Nevada

NASA and Chile Carve Up Easter Island

Meanwhile, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration pours undisclosed millions of dollars into creating an ''emergency'' landing strip on Rapa Nui, better known as Easter Island - a small world-famous open-air museum of an island, which is under Chilean ''protection.'' It is perfectly situated for strategic pole-to-pole orbiting, and NASA, making deals with an oppressive regime, selected the site despite local concerns. As far as NASA is concerned, Chile owns the land. On the contrary, land rights are in dispute.
SOURCE

'Nasa hackers' detained in Chile
news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 27-5-2008 by zorgon]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Navigation error? Wrong lattitude? Missed Martian pole?

Consensus is: pathetic.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by Chakotay]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join