It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange image of new lander photo

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
heres pioctures from hirise

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...
it looks like that shiny spot could be the heat sheild in my oppinion

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
As another poster stated why are the images in low rez black and white when we have the technology for far greater resolution and also in color. it is a cover to give just the minimum resolution to the hungry space nerds to ooh and ahh over, while all the great resolution color images showing any kind of strange unexplainable anomalies go the the black op section for safekeeping. Thanks for being so honest with us NASA, you all are the best.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by internos
Phoenix Makes a Grand Entrance

NASA's Mars Phoenix Lander can be seen parachuting down to Mars, in this image captured by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. This is the first time that a spacecraft has imaged the final descent of another spacecraft onto a planetary body.

From a distance of about 310 kilometers (193 miles) above the surface of the Red Planet, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter pointed its HiRISE obliquely toward Phoenix shortly after it opened its parachute while descending through the Martian atmosphere. The image reveals an apparent 10-meter-wide (30-foot-wide) parachute fully inflated. The bright pixels below the parachute show a dangling Phoenix. The image faintly detects the chords attaching the backshell and parachute. The surroundings look dark, but corresponds to the fully illuminated Martian surface, which is much darker than the parachute and backshell.

Phoenix released its parachute at an altitude of about 12.6 kilometers (7.8 miles) and a velocity of 1.7 times the speed of sound.

The HiRISE, acquired this image on May 25, 2008, at 4:36 p.m. Pacific Time (7:36 p.m. Eastern Time). It is a highly oblique view of the Martian surface, 26 degrees above the horizon, or 64 degrees from the normal straight-down imaging of Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. The image has a scale of 0.76 meters per pixel.

This image has been brightened to show the patterned surface of Mars in the background.

www.nasa.gov...

Here PSP_008301_2480 can be found one of the many images that have been taken over the Phoenix landing site.

Phoenix touched down on the Red Planet at 4:53 p.m. Pacific Time (7:53 Eastern Time), May 25, 2008, in an arctic region called Vastitas Borealis, at 68 degrees north latitude, 234 degrees east longitude.

Latitude (centered): 68.0 °
Longitude (East): 234.9 °
Range to target site: 338.0 km (211.2 miles)
Original image scale range: 33.8 cm/pixel
(with 1 x 1 binning) so objects ~101 cm across are resolved

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

So whatever are we seeing in Phoenix's image, it has to be here, somewhere, but it also may appear like a dot, (unless it's a part of the lander like i.e. protective backshell).

[edit on 27/5/2008 by internos]

I have discovered 2 more Pyramids on Mars in the Northern Plains approximately 4 to 5 inches down from the top of elongated enlarged photo near center complements of Mars Recon Orbiter. See if you can locate the large pyramid you will be able to see it vaguely outlined in this photo so look very carefully. There is another smaller pyramid in front of the Larger pyramid. There are statues near the pyramids and in this elongated photo are more anomalies then any photo I have ever seen taken on Mars to date. Thanks internos for providing this incredible photo.
Rik Riley

[edit on 28-5-2008 by rikriley]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
May I ask the question. In this day and age of COLOR digital cameras. Why, oh why, do they keep feeding us this b/w crap!!!!!!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Oh I got it. More easily manipulated and covered up than true hd color photos. Silly me.
Hell, the '76 pioneer pics looked 50x's sweeter than this junkarama.

[edit on 5/27/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarktheSkepticUK
I wish people would stop making fuss over white bits on the #e quality photos.
Especialy the people picking out tiny rocks that look similar to things such as skulls when theres small rocks that would be the size of your fist next to them meaning the "skull" would be the size of a 50p peice.

Anything flat n smooth reflects light, this part of mars is icy, ive seen ice reflect light loadsa times cud be that.

I still dont get why they never record a small 360 movie and send it back? I know its sorta pointless, but it would be amazing to see.

That's all fine and well Mark. I too believe people let the imagination run wild. However their was a certain rock crushing incident on a fossil critter that looked 'exactly' like a well preserved scorpion fossil with the rovers. It was perfect.

[edit on 5/28/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
WELL, WELL, well... IT was the parachute.

www.nasa.gov...

Case closed I feel.

These images are not garbage, they are what all raw and unprocessed images look like from Mars - the colored ones are usually false color. Besides which, the one that sparked this thread about being able to see skulls and what not on the surface of Mars are low quality cameras used to see where the lander landed.

It's been there for two days, give it some time guys!

*snip* I know it's been mentioned that it's the parachute, but that link has a nice little zoom in animation of it.

Also, I'm flabbergasted at the suggestions that it was alien in nature and that NASA was somehow covering it all up, when only 48hrs later, there it is, on their site, as a feature.

Just thought I'd bring it up again!

[edit on 28-5-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
This is the present status of the 360° image:

So far we know the position of the Parachute and Backshell and the location of the Heat Shield impact:

so we still miss the Heat shield location, and to know what's this, the one of the OP:

so my guess is that the one in the OP may be the Heat Shield, but once the 360° will be complete, we'll be able to assess it in the Hirise image taken 22 hours after the landing.

[edit on 28/5/2008 by internos]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Internos they should delete wikipedia.org and have internos.org. You are a living wikipedia. (mikes joke and I stole it and im proud)

On topic though:

This one is just a waiting game sadly. But im sure it wont be long till we have better images.

/Rich

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by olegkvasha

Hi Rich, and thank you

Yes, it's a waiting game

There's a problem with the image in the OP, lol

in according to this image,

the parachute is roughly located between 155 and 160 ° relatively to the lander.
But in according to this one,

the object in the op (allegedly the Heat Shield) would be located between 358 and 359 °.

This would mean that in this image, the location of the object of the OP would be (approx.) in the direction indicated by the green arrow, while the impact point (and the Heat Shield) would be (approx.) in the direction indicated by the red one:

so, basically, if what we see in the OP is the Heat Shield, then it's NOT where it is supposed to be,also in according to THIS image, taken straight from NASA website:

This enhanced-color image from Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera shows the Phoenix landing area viewed from orbit. The spacecraft appears more blue than it would in reality.
Labels point to the lander with its solar panels deployed on the Martian surface, the heat shield and bounce mark it made on the Martian surface, and the top of the Phoenix parachute attached to the bottom of the back shell.

www.nasa.gov...

Now i'm baffled: if the object in the OP is the Heat Shield, then Nasa scientists are wrong (and i don't think they are).
But if they are right, then the object in the OP is neither the Heat Shield nor the Backshield with parachute.

So, what is it?

I've also found an article, on New Scientist Space

Image artefact?

In one image, the lander's backshell can readily be identified resting on the surface about 300 metres away (scroll down for image). This means a strange linear feature seen in another picture (taken in the opposite direction right after Phoenix landed) cannot be the backshell.
It may be nothing more than an artefact of the image, though scientists will eventually turn the camera back that way to check.

[edit on 28/5/2008 by internos]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by sensfan

Dear Sir,
The Phoenix instruments are quality. Also, they watched the descent/landing with the Global Surveyor and/or another satelite.
They know.
Now watch how they never address the issue directly.

Oh, you're right. NASA wouldn't lie... no precedent for that or anything...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
What the Martonians, another name for Martians, have accomplished is they have been able to store what I call holographic type images on the surface of Mars thru what I would call stored images in crystals like a DVD. Most humans can not see these images and the images are elaborate.

I still go on the theory that there is a possibility the Martonians could be visually detected out of phase from the dimension we live within on Earth. The human eye can see within the full spectrum light spectrum from approx. 400 nanometers in the violet range all the way up to approx. 700 nanometer range which would be the color red. This is what I call and others call seeing in the array of rainbow colors called the visual spectrum.

I still think each planet has it's on frequency realm and since we are limited on what we humans can see on Earth and in photos we miss a lot of what can be seen out there in our Solar System and on Mars. This is why the Space program uses infrared, ultraviolet and X-Ray to see things we humans can not. Rik Riley

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
i noticed a "ball" to the left and down of the object in question. does anyone else see this ball?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
With what I have seen of Mars thru photos is this is a planet gone wild with the manipulation of DNA or genetically engineered life forms. Each planet is going to have their own rules and mind set when it comes to the manipulating DNA in the creation or making of different life forms. The only way I know to show people what I am seeing on Mars is thru my art until I can figure out a way of actually showing you what I am seeing when it comes to anomalies.

The Martonians use complex holograms one second you will see one image the next second you will refocus your eyes and you see another image of something totally different in detail sharing the same space. The only comparison on Earth would be the holographic photos of Jesus that change into another photo on top of the original photograph. The Martonians brains are so complex that they will use one part of an area in an image using part of the body, face, headdress, eyes or structure to make four or more images sharing one space at the same time.

Rik Riley

[edit on 28-5-2008 by rikriley]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
May I ask the question. In this day and age of COLOR digital cameras. Why, oh why, do they keep feeding us this b/w crap!!!!!!

All digital cameras are "color blind", even the one you may have at home that produces "color" images...

...this is what I mean:

The light sensors on your home digital camera and the one on the Phoenix lander (and on the rovers) can only detect light in shades of grey. However, when a picture is taken, the light goes through different filters that produce black and white images of different light intensities -- different intensities for different filters. Different colors will be of different intensities when viewed through each filter.

The CMOS or CCD computer in your home camera looks at these different light intensities and can deduce or "guess" (usually a very good guess) what the color actually is. This all takes less than a second, so you get your "color" picture right away...but that color picture was "guessed at" by your camera's computer using the black and white filtered images. It is not really a true color image, but what the computer thinks is the true colors.

The Camera NASA is using works using the same concept, except they don't have the computer on board that deduces the color based on the black and white filtered images -- they do that here on Earth. NASA will recieve the "raw" black and white images, imaged through the different filters, and use computers here on Earth to deduce the true colors based on those black and white filtered images.

They do this on Earth because the raw images are of a greater value to them than a color image, since NASA can manipulate the way they want to view each color so they can create "false color" images. They use false color images to help them see certain materials better than others. For example, they may want a certain color wavelength to stand out from the rest, so they assign that color to be blue. Blue is often used in false color images since it contrasts very well against the reds and yellows of Mars. They always mark these photos as "False Color Images". They could not do this false color mapping as well if they tried to do it with a photo that has already been "made into color" by a camera's CMOS or CCD computer.

NASA does also create images that are what they deduce to be "True Color" using these same black and white filtered images. When NASA releases a photo that that they believe is as close as possible to the actual colors on Mars, they sometimes label it as "Approximate True Color", since there is actually no such thing as a "true color" digital image.

In Phoenix's case, NASA did release approximate true color images the day of the landing, but the images that we saw come down from the lander (we saw them for the first time the same time NASA did) were the black and white raw images. NASA took those images and create dthe approximate true color image and released it a couple of hours after they received the raw ones.

If you want to see the images immediately as they come down from the lander, you will have to be satisfied with black and white.

[edit on 5/28/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
It's been there for two days, give it some time guys!

Time for what?
Its a stationary craft set down on a flat featureless plain supposedly at the pole showing no snow and only the same red rock as far as the eyes can see...

You can wait a hundred years... the images won't get any better

Raw images.... 'false color' images... low resolution landing cam...

That is PRECISELY the point... they never just show us ONE decent full color high res natural color shot....

They have them you know... for the other rovers... just for scientists to use... not you or I....

well.... not YOU

I know it's been mentioned that it's the parachute.

Thanks for pointing that out

Just thought I'd bring it up again!

Thanks for your diligence

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
That is PRECISELY the point... they never just show us ONE decent full color high res natural color shot....

They have them you know... for the other rovers... just for scientists to use... not you or I....

well.... not YOU

Who says they have a full color imager on the rovers? The rovers send back the raw photos as black and white, and imaged through different filters. Those black and white raw iamges are used to create the color images that we see (such as the one you posted)whether they be "aprroximate true color" or "false color".

The rovers have never sent back a picture in color...only the B&W raw images that are later used to create the color image.

EDIT TO ADD:
I think the robotic arm on Phoenix has a camera that will bathe an up-close subject in colored lights (red, green, and blue) to get a better idea of the true color of the object. I'm not sure, but I think THOSE images will be sent in color (the color identification process will be done on the lander before being sent to Earth). But to tell you the truth, I'm not sure if the images will come back as color, or just raw images bathed in red, green, and blue lights to be later combined here on Earth into a full color image.

This camera will be used for close-up images only. They obviously can't do this with the panoramic cameras, since it would be nearly impossible to bathe the 100 meters or so around the lander with various colored lights.

Here's an article about the robotic arm camera:
www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 5/28/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Z, you said the Phoenix is "supposedly at the pole"....that is mistaken, Sir.

The location is 68 degrees North. On Earth, at that latitude, certainly you will find snow....but Mars is not Earth.

Since I am familiar with Earth's co-ordinate system, it is a comparison I make....but I would hope someone could explain why the Mars longitudinal co-ordinate mapping is so different from Earth's. I have searched, to no avail. We all know on Earth, we start at the Prime Meridian, and go 180 degrees West or East...but Phoenix is located at 234 degrees East. Why is Mars mapped differently than Earth, in terms of Lat/Long grids??

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join