It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange image of new lander photo

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by djerwulfe

I checked the ESA images. It made no difference. Wait till they post hi res color images.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by djerwulfe
Any NASA spokesperson who claims that the anomaly may be heat-shield or parachute, but it is uncertain, is a liar.
Any research team would be painfully aware of the locations and appearances of their own nearly priceless equipment that just successfully made a historic acheivement.
Besides, they can view the images at much higher quality than they're published.
See ESA. They allow you to download the images at higher quality than NASA.
The fact that I'm ignored at ATS does not discourage me.

The "new" Phoenix anomaly is not new.

Well, it is in close proximity to the lander. So either there is an abundant source of unusual objects on mars, or it is a component of the vehicle or it was a fluke that in all that barren landscape the lander manages to be within close proximity of an interesting object.

I think it's -likely- that is it from the vehicle but the NASA, knowing their vehicle inside out, should tell right away -exactly- what it is.

If they haven't then it becomes suspicious.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by Jinni]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Hmm, I was looking at the fully zoomed picture on the Nasa website, and in the upper right corner in the sky is a dot. I don't know what it is, but it is an abnormality. Dust? An imperfection in the photography? If someone could crop that picture and post it to this thread, it will be yet another unanswerable question, but there is something there.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
What is interesting about this "anomaly" is that it appears in a different NASA photo too..

2nd NASA Photo that shows "pillar"

Johnny

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Oh, yeah. I tried to see if I could grow my fortress of solitude there but it didn't take

Maybe its a crystal, probably of the ice variety.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Well we'll find out soon enough what it is or isn't. The media covering the briefing was all over this photo the second NASA showed it. Like the third question asked to the panel was regarding this photo.

You can guarantee they won't forget about it anytime soon. How long until NASA even pays attention to it is anybodies guess tho really. They seemed a lot more interested in seeing the entire terrain behind and to the sides of the lander first just to get an idea of the surroundings.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cactusjacks

I wondered how long it would be before this thread appears. I actually won a bet on how close it would be ha!!! (mind you the pound isn't as strong against the dollar as it was so the NASA guys don't lose that much!)

So, I was trying to put in a cunning clue but couldn't find anything that rhymed with image processing. Any takers anyone?

[edit on 26-5-2008 by timelike]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cactusjacks
Ok , Iwas surfing the web, on the new lander photos through JPL's site and Saw a strange image in the back round of one of the images here is the link to it , phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu... I was having a hard time thinking thats it just as image error isnt that a super camara taken those pic , hope the ATS Members can draw some thought on it thanks.

There are 43 images there. Which one are you pertaining to please.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I have to agree with the people who think its the braking chute draped over a hillock. I also agree we should wait for HD pictures to come in because the first ones will just be confirmatory photos of the Phoenix's solar arrays and digging equipment. Its whats under the surface of the region that intriques me. What will they find?

I use to work for the 6594th Radar Orbital Data Squadron outta Sunnyvale, CA. and we did work for NASA all the time. (Mostly satellite and Space Shuttle stuff but still fun.) Their just making sure everything is okay with Phoenix and they have some good terrain to dig in.

Go Phoenix!!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

If it appears in more than one photo at the same spot, then I retract my original theory of the braking chute on a hillock and change it to a scratch on the lens. Some ice may have gotten into it and is now catching the light, making it appear bright white instead of grainy.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by qxlb52
I have to agree with the people who think its the braking chute draped over a hillock. I also agree we should wait for HD pictures to come in because the first ones will just be confirmatory photos of the Phoenix's solar arrays and digging equipment. Its whats under the surface of the region that intriques me. What will they find?

I use to work for the 6594th Radar Orbital Data Squadron outta Sunnyvale, CA. and we did work for NASA all the time. (Mostly satellite and Space Shuttle stuff but still fun.) Their just making sure everything is okay with Phoenix and they have some good terrain to dig in.

Go Phoenix!!
you have to admit, its a curious image. Maybe you could make a few calls so they can come up with the super resolution images of the target already? Or if the phoenix is mobile like the rovers, have it go over there to say "cheese" and take a closeup photo and put this thing to rest.

I hope they don't say "heat shield/parachute" without further clarifications. This is taxpayer money they're spending.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

The area close to the pole is flat because of the contraction and release of the top soils in the area, due to temperature fluctuations. As the ground freezes and thaws, it expands and contracts, causing vertically significant land mass to slowly break down, and for depression to fill up. It acts like a really slow shaker to level everything off. Combine that with wind erosion and deposition, and it's going to be pretty featureless.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by cruzion]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by un4gvn1
I'll bet NASA's airbrushing dept. is working overtime for the next 90 days.

They won't have to... its not a rover and they landed in a flat non descript area, so once you see the 360 panorama that's it no more pictures

But that landing video clip... Good to use to show people there is a substantial atmosphere on Mars first the heat shield, then a parachute

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by cruzion As the ground freezes and thaws, it expands and contracts, causing vertically significant land mass to slowly break down, and for depression to fill up. It acts like a really slow shaker to level everything off. Combine that with wind erosion and deposition, and it's going to be pretty featureless.

COOL!!! So your telling me that when Malin showed us that THIS is the polar region they lied?

Or how about the melting ice 'lakes' and black spots that change with the season?

And what about the Crater Lake of frozen water Ice that ESA found?

And I really wanted to see the geysers up close

But what do we get?

The same reddish 'false color' rock we always get and no ice or snow around

Well at least NASA is consistent...

I just wish we didn't have to have several threads on the same project
hard to keep up

First Mars Pictures from Phoenix lander!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Good Thread

It looks like it can be explained at first but there is a few things that need to be brought up and be answered before NASA and we can comfirm totally what it is.

1. Parachute? Are we sure? How sure are we? Wouldn't the parachute still be attached? This the first Mars mission to use a combination of rockets and parachutes. Would we not see some attachment device to the "parachute"?

2. Crystal/Ice. How can we be sure it was a crystal? We should ask them what are the chances of a cystal or salt pillar or ice something could form there.

3. Camera. How could they spend millions of taxpayers dollars to buy a camera that has a defect in it to cause that. We should ask them for some technical analysis of it to see if it was a possible defect.

4. Are there any other possible causes could this be? Anything technical, maybe something lost from the spaceship? Could it be something to do with the sun's angle.

I am not a skeptic that this could be something. Before we decide that it could acually possible be something alien or something, we must first answer these questions.

Maybe it is something. I hope it is

Again, good topic

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Here is one of the latest images. Not sure which direction this is in but there seems to be an object reflecting light like the other photo in question

I think this is from the other side of the lander. There are hills in the background. This could be the heat shield.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by 1freelectron]

[edit on 26-5-2008 by 1freelectron]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
If you zoom in on the original picture with the "white post" or whatever you want to call it. It's easy to see that the post rises above the horizon in an almost three-tiered fork-like shape. Doesn't look like a parachute to me.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join