It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange image of new lander photo

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Ok , Iwas surfing the web, on the new lander photos through JPL's site and Saw a strange image in the back round of one of the images here is the link to it , phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu... I was having a hard time thinking thats it just as image error isnt that a super camara taken those pic , hope the ATS Members can draw some thought on it thanks.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Hiyah cactus,

I looked at the photo and I don't see anything strange about it. What part of it do you think is strange? Maybe I missed what you're talking about.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I think I see what you are talking about...the little white thing in the distance, upper right? could be the jetisoned parachute, heat shield, casing, etc....I believe there were quite a few things Phoenix got rid of on it's way down. Perhaps we will see better when the high resolution images are taken, as these pics are just the first initial black and white raw pics.

edited to add this pic...I believe this is what is being referred to.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by sensfan]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I knew a thread like this one would be started with these images. They're hot off the lander and low resolution.

I wouldn't read into any little thing like that too much. These are low quality cameras that are used just to check that it landed properly.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Alright! I see lots of 'shattered' rocks were strewn across the whole plane of small hill-like bumps. And then I see a white vertical thingy in the far distance. That's all. Thank you for sharing.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Heh, one of the guys asking questions from the media just asked about that pictures exactly.

They said they aren't certain what it is right now, but given that there was very low winds during the decent it is possible it could be the heat shield or parachute. Once they analyze some of the data they'll be able to know for sure.

They admitted to seeing it just as clearly as everybody else in the media has but since these are such low resolution pictures they took just so they could show something today. Once they get the higher res pictures back in a day or two they'll hopefully know more.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by zarlaan]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I found two objects in the background of the main picture the Lander sent. They could be huge boulders or rocks, but who knows.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by zarlaan
Heh, one of the guys asking questions from the media just asked about that pictures exactly.

They said they aren't certain what it is right now, but given that there was very low winds during the decent it is possible it could be the heat shield or parachute. Once they analyze some of the data they'll be able to know for sure.

They admitted to seeing it just as clearly as everybody else in the media has but since these are such low resolution pictures they took just so they could show something today. Once they get the higher res pictures back in a day or two they'll hopefully know more.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by zarlaan]

HAHA, I guess the NASA guy and I were thinking the same thing. Hmmmm, maybe I should be working for nasa doing their press conferences. ;-)

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sensfan

Oh we all know you do really work for NASA

Just joking

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I would love to see the live video feeds of this place. I'm sure its above high definition.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Hello. My hubby and I picked up on that one too. When enlarged it looks like it is either metal or white, standing straight up. If I knew how to post the enlargement here I would. Not even 24 hrs and already anomolous photos coming back! I can't beleive that NASA is letting us see these pics so quick!

link: www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 26-5-2008 by space cadet]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Quasar

Quasar, they are loading the pics up live on the nasa site. Raw pictures.

Link: www.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Don't think it's data drop-out..

I took the liberty to enlarge just a little bit of the "thing"..without making it degraded with a lot of pixelation and artifacts (although there still are some because of the original)..

Johnny

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Didn't take long, did it?

I watched the NASA Channel on my SAT....the telemetry came in at 1955 EDT to confirm a safe landing of Phoenix....(anyone know how many light-minutes away Mars is right now?? 19? 26??)

The NASA Channel showed the JPL team, live....well, a two second delay, likely.....that pesky speed-of-light thing!!!! (satellites!!)

The sound track though....a German accent? Was ESA doing the tracking?

Anyway.....can't believe, a forum of intelligent people, and the first B/W scan, with likely artifacts, comes in.....and immediately we're seeing things???

Calm down! Relax......breathe..... it's Mars, it's a huge rocky plain.....the only thing seems noticable is how flat it is....no hills, as in nearer the Equatorial regions of the Rovers.....Spirit and Opportunity...

Phoenix is closer to the North, not at the pole, but way north, to search for water ice....could the flatness be indicative of an ancient lake bed or sea bed?? Or, a lava flow???

Remember, the horizon is foreshortened on Mars, not as much as the Moon, but very different in appearance to what you're used to on this planet.....

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
okay that completely threw me off , all that over excited, enthuiasm thing. A little too excited if you ask me. But i'm glad you (weedwhacker) are enjoying it. I personally find mars kinda boring. And i think none of this is 100% real. I'm gonna take a shot at the pic and say it was just a parachute from the lander or something normal along those lines. Won't know until the hd pics i guess though.

(I wonder when they're gonna upgrade the pic quality/camera quality to blu ray? Take the tech from earth to space!!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Mike, Mike, come back mate your missing out on some goooood stuff
. Looks like JPL was happy with the landing, I had a look at the map where it landed. It's far away from the centre of the pole, looks like the lander is intact judging by the party at JPL. Might be afew seedy heads at work tomorrow

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by screamo

yeah, screamo.....it's either part of the parachute apparatus, or an early photo artifact.....the Hi-Res will tell the tale

I'm guessing on an ancient lake bed.....bet ten dollars!!! (will accept five Euro....damn, our $ sucks!!
and I reserve the right to make a sea bed count as lake bed!!!)

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
My closer inspection also shows a corresponding shadow of object. What happened to the bunnies? Honestly, this this is a bit odd. But I have seen my share of odd rover images. Including aerial oddities. I've seen these white 'sprites' also in rover images.
Could it be artifact? Well certainly. An artifact with corresponding shadow of a 3pm Martian sun. Well, maybe.
What I will say is we don't keep throwing multimillion dollar rovers and orbital scanners and scientific platforms at a planet if there was not something mighty special about it.

[edit on 5/26/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Am I the only one on this site that believes NASA is a fraud and everything they spoon feed you is a lie?

No?

Where's the site that thinks like wise?

Z

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

I think it's tunnelvisionrus.org.
Everything needed for your everyday "everything is lies" conspiracy theorist.
I'm looking forward to the finding from this rover, not so much the endless threads claiming artifacts. Or men, or fairies...
Occasionally I see an image that makes me stop and think, and i have to ask myself if it's possilbe that the image could be formed naturaly, or not involved any organics?
Generally the answer is yes. Ultimately until everyone is allowed to Mars, most questions will go unanswered, many may be unansweralbe.
Heck, even after we reach Mars the stories will continue.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join