It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the best file sharing software?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'm currently using iMesh and Kazaa for internet file sharing. Not having much success with either one. Most files don't actually download.

Just wanting to know what would be some better alternatives.

Some suggestions would be great.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I use WinMX and Bittorent.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
bittorrent. everything else is worthless.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MorningtonCrescent

Right ON!

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Bittorrent and kazaa lite. The two best programs ever IMO, and I've tried a bunch.

BTW, interesting fact about kazaa lite, they may have took down most mirrors, but websites like oldversion d0t com still have all versions.

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
You could also try checking out places like Xgooge.com and search for XDCC bots on various IRC networks sharing files your interested in. Also if you have a bunch of friends with highspeed connections you can look into Waste (waste.sourceforge.net...) which is an encrypted filesharing setup, but you can make it private so as not to let in RIAA/MPAA snoopers, or leachers.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MorningtonCrescent

I've never tried that one before. I'll have to give it a shot though since it comes with such great reviews.

Way back when I used BearShare....
Then I moved to Kazaa Lite....Still use it now and then.
Recently I've been using WarezP2P....It works nice and fast. No Downloads yet have had any problems. It is extremely simple to use with very few options to mess with, but so far it doesn't seem to need any either.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Bittorent!! Amazing speeds.
or, mIRC at times, when I know something will be there.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
Bittorrent and kazaa lite. The two best programs ever IMO, and I've tried a bunch.

Kazaa Lite is really really good, easy to use and straight forward. I would go for that one, it's the one I have.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
Recently I've been using WarezP2P....It works nice and fast. No Downloads yet have had any problems. It is extremely simple to use with very few options to mess with, but so far it doesn't seem to need any either.

Call me paranoid if you wish, but I am somewhat wary of anything with the word 'Warez' included. Too many viruses in downloads for my liking - and don't even mention the bug-ridden copy of the Sims I tried to download a while ago ... Just as well I had an antivirus running.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
Call me paranoid if you wish, but I am somewhat wary of anything with the word 'Warez' included. Too many viruses in downloads for my liking - and don't even mention the bug-ridden copy of the Sims I tried to download a while ago ... Just as well I had an antivirus running.

Ok, you're paranoid.
This is a good thing actually. Anyone who isn't paranoid, is obviously not paying attention..

The word 'Warez' has pretty much become some commercialized techno cybernerd catch phrase nowadays simply to catch the attention of John Q public computer user. This program obviously has nothing to do with Warez downloading in the traditional sense. This software is exactly like Kazaa, Bearshare, Limeware, etc. and even pull from the same networks and same files. Just another group jumping on the bandwagon, which is actually a good thing. The more alternatives that are out there, the more difficult and scattered are the people who are out to stop p2p types of file sharing.

The speed is good, and the software is simple to use and I have yet to discover a glitch. So far the files I've downloaded have been what they say and all of them working. Haven't tried the Sims yet but if I get a good one I'll let ya know. As far as the Viruses go, they're gonna be everywhere regardless of the software you use. If it isn't one made special just for that program, it will be some other worm or trojan that has been neglected by the person on the other end. No biggie, just use caution like always.

I'm trying out Bittorent actually as of today. Nice idea IMO by it's developer. I'm not experiencing the super fast speeds I've heard about, but I'm not downloading anything that would be very common as of yet either. The speed I'm getting is pretty good for what it is I'm after, but more importantly is the fact that it was even there period. I've looked everywhere trying to get it and so far this is the only program that has come through for me. That alone rates it at the top of the list as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   

join