It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember Wacky Packs, Rock Tumblers, and the Good Ole Toys From Yesteryear?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Hey all,

This thread is a great one to start on Memorial Day Weekend...the first glimpse of summer, school was almost out, your glow in the dark Duncan YoYo was almost out of juice, or had gotten confiscated at school for covert use off the playground and you wore your metal roller skate key around your neck so as not to lose it?

You listened to AM Radio, played dodgeball or Horse with the basketball at recess, cranked Led Zeppelin II when your parents went to dinner parties and watched Love Boat and Fantasy Island on Saturday night???

Yehawwwww those were the days, the 4 tv channels usually went off at 1am...when you snuck outside to sneak a smoke, toilet paper a house or ring and run?

My favorite toys of all time had to be, my skateboard, my good old rock tumbler/polisher, and the Ouija board, great for slumber parties...how else would you find out if you and Timmy Smith up the street would go to "2nd base" LMFAO....and of course, collecting Wacky Packs and trading them around!!

What were your favorite toys from this time period and what times do they remind you of from that era???

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

I used to have this gadget called a creepy crawler maker. You had these metal inter-changeable moulds that fit into an oven type thing that would get hot enough to burn you. First you had to select the mould and pour this stuff called goop in it that came in a variety of colors. Out came spiders, worms, and a variety of bugs that you would litter around the house, causing your Mom to get mad because they stopped up the vacuum cleaner.

My friends and I also collected troll dolls. We would make them clothes out of felt, and other scraps of material. They got new hair do's, too. We used food coloring to die their hair! Endless hours of fun!

There was a forrest near where I lived growing up, and during the summer, we used to raid the garages at our houses for tools and head to the woods to build forts and tree houses. We would pack lunches and spend all day there. I can remember a few times when my Dad had to drive me over to the edge of the woods to retrieve his hammer or some other tool with a flashlight after dark! I went to visit there about 10 years ago and some of the forts and tree houses were still there with additions!

We also belonged to a country club that had a couple of lakes, and also during the summer my Mom would drop us off before she went to work, and we would spend all day swimming or in our little porpoise sail boat.
This would be from about 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.!

This reminds me of a lot of freedom. We were allowed to be out of our parents sight for more than 5 minutes without them worrying something bad was going to happen to us!

Those were the days!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Oh geez does this thread get me thinking. I never really had that many toys because I found them boring. I preferred to be outside.
My SUPERCYCLE bike was the best thing.I was riding all over the place dawn till dusk.
I usually had an Indian rubber ball in my pocket, that I would toss against a brick wall. I actually still do this in the summer. I toss a ball against the side of my house, usually a tennis ball now. I never grew out of it.
I had toys from dolls and barbies, to TONKA trucks. But my bike and ball were the only things that got daily use.

Ah yes..the fort building was fun too.
Oh man those were the days. I want to be ten years old again.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I am a little later than the roller skate days , but ah man I loved the yo-yo. I could walk the dog, and do around the world. I also loved my Gi-Joes (snakes eyes was awesome), He-Man action figures, and transformers. How about the etch-a-sketch, or those cheesy scrolling car games.

The Wacky Wall Walkers, the sticky hand was good fun, but nothing beat the realistic toy guns they had back then. Especially the ones with the caps in them. Oh, and can't forget M.U.S.C.L.E. Men, Army Ants, and The WWF LJN Figures.

I remember sneaky smokes, loitering in front of or on the side of convenience stores. Hanging out at the pavilion at several parks. All sorts of wackiness.

[edit on 5/25/2008 by eye open doors]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

You said it there Access! I remember fort-building was only 2nd to the all mighty creek damming up! We dammed up this creek one time and did such a great job, that when we came back in the morning it had flooded out into a major road and the police and fire department were called

It's almost hard to believe that kids, us, used to leave the house at 7am, eat at someone's for lunch and ten minutes later, back out, roaming all over until dark. Once a week in the summer someone was going to the emergency room LMFAO, usually the result of building huge ramps over creeks and getting a running start with our bikes up the neighboring hill to build up speed to jump the creek or climbing trees that were 4 stories tall etc.

Ahhh the good old days

[edit on 25-5-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Anyone remember playing ditch/night tag? We had this creepy old cemetery in our game area. The bold would hide there, or go seeking there. We flooded a creek once too. We'd also play capture the flag on that creek in the winter, we'd use a tennis ball instead of a flag.

Holy cats, cops and robbers, or marco/polo in the lake. I got water flukes one year. How about going off jumps on the bike?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by eye open doors

Oh yes, played endless hours of ditch/night tag/hide and seek/kick the can!

We played Kickball, baseball with tennis balls after a few of us got beamed with a direct hit to the eye and knocked unconscious

Marco Polo was a great one too, I always cheated at that one lol. What's "water flukes"? Sounds bad!

We went through a "Ninja" phase too, and found this book on how to make Ninja Blinding Powder, I remember it had cayenne pepper flakes and gawd knows what all else in it, and of course we needed a victim, er I mean test subject, so my little brother got the trip to the emergency room that week...man did I get in trouble for THAT one lol.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313

It's almost hard to believe that kids, us, used to leave the house at 7am, eat at someone's for lunch and ten minutes later, back out, roaming all over until dark. Once a week in the summer someone was going to the emergency room LMFAO, usually the result of building huge ramps over creeks and getting a running start with our bikes up the neighboring hill to build up speed to jump the creek or climbing trees that were 4 stories tall etc.

You too, huh? The emergency room staff knew us by name when we would walk in the door! We also back in the day had a Doctor that would actually make house calls for things other than broken bones!

We used to have one huge hill in our area that parents used to cringe over in the summer, because we would have bike races to see who could make it to the bottom of the hill without holding on to the handle bars!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Water Flukes, or what we called the Itch, or swimmers itch. It is caused by Trematode parasites. Little buggers. We were into ninjas big time. We'd get the martial arts mags at Shinders. This brings back a memory about this German family that moved into our neighborhood.

We were goofing off outside one winter and all of a sudden my neighbor was like "What the heck" we look over and there is Thomas in his white long underwear with a piece of white cloth across his face laying in the snow. He gets up and runs. We had a laugh at that.

How about the paper ninja stars, or wrist rockets?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
that reminds me of King of the Hill. We'd stand a top the huge hills/mounds of snow. Whoever could last the longest at the top was the king. oh and tag, everyone has played a game of that.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by eye open doors

Anyone remember playing ditch/night tag? We had this creepy old cemetery in our game area.

Those games were fun to play on a cool summer night. We also played red rover, and statue maker.

One time when I was about 6 or so, we were playing indoor hide and seek. I hid in an antique trunk, and could not get the lid open. This was at a babysitters house. I don't know how long I was in the trunk, but when she found me I was unconscious and had to be rushed to the emergency room.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

Woah, that is not good.

You remind me of Simon Says, red light green light, and duck duck Grey Duck/goose, and Telephone.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

Now that's hilarious Enthralled...yes, I remember those no handlebars rides down the biggest longest hill you could find, like a game of chicken, who could resist grabbing the handlebars first before tumbling headlong over the bike or veering off down the side to wreck in a tangled heap!

Statuemaker huh? We called it Swinging Statue but I am sure it has to be the same game, wonder if kids play these games nowadays? I never even see kids out playing now except on their driveway, with lame bikes and a helmet ...one parent in a lawn chair watching so they don't go into the street...how that must suck for kids today.

LMFAO at you unconscious in the trunk, oh lawdy now those were the day for sure!!! We dared some kid to drink turpentine, and he did LOL...he took great pleasure in regaling us about his trip to the emergency room...I think he only drank a small sip, but he earned his street creds that day with us!!

Hey Eye...that trematode sounds nasty, we didn't have that in these parts...but we always came home with a few ticks every day from the woods...oh and when we were on our Ninja kick, we had many a mishap with the metal throwing stars and the Numbchucks, however you spell that

How about going to construction sites of the new houses being built late at night and stealing the wood and other supplies to make our forts lmfao.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

We would sneak into the lumber yard that was up the railroad tracks and grab a lot of wood. We'd just pull the fence out a bit and slip in. they'd always talk about the dog that was in there. I think my older brother and my older neighbor would just say that to get me scared.

The itch was terrible. I got it one year before I went to Boy Scout Camp. I had to bring with the Calamine lotion.

[edit on 5/25/2008 by eye open doors]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Great idea for a thread, LA!! Star & flag and m&m's for you!

My barbie dolls had cardboard furniture. Fold and go!

Jeez, troll dolls, forts, creepy crawlers....I love it! Don't forget the easy bake oven. Who remembers those keychains that had the gold fish, that was kind of in sections? Anyone? I'm trying to find one.

And yep, out all day, come in and eat, back out until forced to come in. With four kids in our house, instead of getting grounded to our rooms, we would get grounded outside, weather permitting, of course.

Remember Monopoly games that used to last 4 or 5 days?

Next to our neighborhood was a cemetary. We would spend countless nights playing ghost in the graveyard. During the day, however, my sister and I would visit the discarded flower pile there and make my mom bouquets. If we were real lucky, we would find a nice plastic to add to it. She knew where they came from, and she loved getting them anyway.

Rush

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by eye open doors

Did you have the ONE house in the neighborhood, where the cranky old loner man lived, where the big dare was to ring and run at his house, because he'd chase us cursing, even through the woods, he was tenacious as heck...we'd shoot bottle rockets at his front door too, just to rile him up. Man we were terrible LOL.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Holy cats, did you live in my neighborhood. We had Mr. Smith. he was a crotchety old man. We didn't ring his bell by our time, because the stories we heard from the older kids in the neighborhood.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Did you have the ONE house in the neighborhood, where the cranky old loner man lived,

Couldn't resist this one. I was selling girl scout cookies and went to some old loner guy's house and asked in my very sweet girl scout voice if he would please support our troop and purchase cookies and the sob chased me away with a shotgun. WTF?

Rush

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

Oh WOW I forgot about Ghost in the Graveyard, man I haven't thought of that game in probably, well I won't say how long....

OMG I remember those key chains big time, I haven't seen any in yearssss, did you look on eBay? Yes the Easy Bake ovens...the monopoly marathons.

Remember the record players that were in like a cardboard box with a designs and plastic or vinyl over them LOL that folded up so they were portable?? We used to sit in someone's basement for HOURS when it was raining listening to records.

I loved this board game called Masterpiece, and I recently found it on eBay and bought it, still had the original shrink wrap on it...

Sea Monkeys and K-Tell Record Albums ordered C.O.D. lmao

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Did you have the ONE house in the neighborhood, where the cranky old loner man lived,

Couldn't resist this one. I was selling girl scout cookies and went to some old loner guy's house and asked in my very sweet girl scout voice if he would please support our troop and purchase cookies and the sob chased me away with a shotgun. WTF?

Rush

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join