It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism and effects.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
First, let me preface. This all came about due to an entirely different thread. I used the term 'Reverse Racism' and some one else picked it up later. When they used it they were hit with a post about not knowing what Racism was if they thought the term was accurate. I came to Education and Media because these two pillars of society give us our general view on Racism.

I will say that I am not a Racist, I make a decision on an individual and not a group. This is why this gets me so worked up. I wonder, just to throw a little ATS into the pot before I stir, if perhaps the perspectives could be feed to us for a reason, i.e. Government, Secret Society, etc.

I do not advocate that to be the truth, however this could be something overlooked by those who believe such things and I feel best when I look at both sides and both sides have equal information.

Here is what I posted. Take it as what it is, a statement about the definition of Racism and how the definition is not being equally applied. Please, let us keep bigotry out of this thread. If you are offended by what comes below, U2U me and I shall explain. I feel I state nothing wrong, but I know in any areana (especially ATS where thoughts have hearts) tempers may flare. (Rest in 2nd post to fit all without break)

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Semper Fortis, I have to call B.S. on something. I don't care what Webster says Racism means, it is how it's used and understood today.

An example. If I were to say that the University of Alabama would only allow a 1% Minority rate, I would be called 'Racist'.

However, you have the NAACP setting up things like 'Traditionally Black Colleges' (Don't yell at me, that's what they are called by those that attend) and the United Negro College Fund. All of this is fine and well.

Until I start a Telethon for the United Caucasian College Fund. That's Racist.

If I exclude, because I am white, I am racist. If I am exclude, because I am white, it is merely paying past dues to minorities.

If I attack an African-American, for any reason what so ever (to include Self Defense) so lawyer will try to play the 'race card' and make it into a Hate Crime. Not just African-American, any Minority. However, if some Blood sees me in the wrong side of town (and he happens to be a Minority) and he kills me, it's merely a murder/robbery... not a hate crime.

Apparently, by the actions of the Courts and Education system, White can't be discriminated. Causcasian can't be discriminated. How many Minorites have not got the job and were told "Sorry, we have a quota to fill". (I agree, they may have been told the Quota was filled... and if an equal or better canidate they have a court case they should pursue... racism should be stamped out and not tolerated). Now, if you are Caucasian, you very well can be the most qualified person applying, and be told "We can't hire you due to Quota".

So, let me ask you... if Racism is strictly choosing one on no other basis than race alone, and Racism is bad... Why are there United Negro College Funds and not United Causcain ones? Why are there Traditional Black Colleges, but it's unlawful and politically incorrect to state you are a Traditional White College? Why can some one that I may be an equal or better canidate than get the job because I'm White?

Don't these things sound just a tad bit like Webster's definition of Racism? They do to me. Except, perception states that Caucasian can't be target for Racism because apparently Caucasian is the root of Racism. If it wasn't for Caucasian then the minorities would never have been enslaved, treated badly, used in sweat shop labor, etc.

Now, let me remind you, I'm Irish, Native American (Creek), Italian and German. As many Irish died making the rail roads under 'we pay you $5 dollars a day... and charge you $6 for the tools of ours that you use a day' days as did Oriental's and African-American's (as they were now in American, so I place the title). We know about Native Americans, there entire land was raided from them, what of it that wasn't swindled by illegitimate deals. Italians were only allowed in the slums until they got very organized in crime (not all, but the most successful found alternate means to suceed as most avenues weren't allowed to them).

Caucasian though I am, most of my forefathers were every bit as oppressed as other 'minorities'. Still, though Webster says I am, I am not protected in any way from Racism, and the littlest thing said or done by me can me slanted to be found Racist. Simply suggesting a Traditionally White College, for instance.

So, that is why the term "Reverse Racism" is used. A Caucasian simply can't (though should be able to) say a Minority Group treated him with Racism and be taken seriously.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BradKell

Thank you for your post. I am new to this web site, I found it by way of doing a bit of research on a "A Haunting" episode on the Discovery channel. I digress! I am a 39 year old stay at home mother of two little boys, I was raised lower middle class suburbia in Illinois with many different nationalities, I consider myself lucky because I have a wide spectrum to draw from. My mother was loving, kind, generous, open minded and hated bigotry of any sort. My father was raised in the middle class and was skeptical of all.

My first taste of reverse racism was when I obtained my first "real" job at a factory working nights in a city just miles outside of Chicago. The hatred that was shared with me from other nationalities from the city floored me! Never had I met so many people with such chips on their shoulders. And the way they would perpetuate the hate with their children really sorrowed me. Eventually because I was wet behind the ears and very naive a few took me under their wing. By the time we had a major lay off only one still hated me, for whatever reason, that was her problem not mine, all were very close friends of mine and I still miss them dearly. I was the only Caucasian on the floor, while there were a handful of Asians, approximately twenty African-Americans and perhaps fifteen Hispanics along with a small smattering of Philoppinos. I loved the diversity and the history, the stories of their youth, the stories of their countries, the stories of their families. But, at the beginning the reverse racism was nearly paralyzing, I was so very young that my youth actually worked in my favor.

Fast forward to today's society. This past summer of 2007 my father had an altercation with someone in traffic. He did not know who was behind the wheel, and I am sure they did not know who was behind the wheel of his automobile. As it happens, the person driving the other auto was an African-American woman; she got out of her vehicle and advanced on my father. He screamed at her and used profanity. Because of the use of the "N" word he was arrested and spent 34 days in jail on a hate crime. He also spent 7 months on home arrest and spent $20,000 in lawyer feels. Nothing happened to her. Now, I was not there. I cannot attest to anyone's innocence or anyone's wrong doing. I can only tell you that my father worked in the post office for many, many years, retiring after my mother died of diabetes and that he would give anyone, and I do mean anyone, the shirt off of his back. That this happened to him and he was held on $300,000 bail infuriated me beyond all explanation.

The media, be it the newspapers, the television, the radio, they all compound matters and add fuel to the fire. To have had personal experiences myself, one being when my oldest was 18 months old and a van full of Hispanic men chased me all over my home town, the police FINALLY helping me and nothing coming of it, why is anyone else's life more important than mine because I happen to be a Caucasian? Why, if you happen to be a "minority" do you receive more protection than I do? Why are the lines so very blurred when it comes to the law when the law should be followed to the letter for each and every human being?

The bottom line is this: My job is to raise good, strong, opinionated, educated, smart, funny, loving human beings. They will inevitably run into reverse racism. I only need make them aware that some people may not be nice to them. Unlike the way I was raised, that there is good in everyone. Because, honestly, there is not. We can only change ourselves, we cannot change anyone else.

Because of what happened to my elderly father, I am much more reserved with everyone, including Caucasians. Unfortunately other nationalities have taught me this tough lesson. As much as things change they stay the same

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Because well you dont really actually need it.
Blacks still pay to go to the colleges (im 1/2 african american and 1/2 french).
And well 26 days a year to learn about aa culture v the whole other year just to learn about the anglo/english/usa caucasian culture, is pretty well...favouring to you.
Well you got chased by a van of hispanic men?
Where were you?
L.A?
Your an idiot, i doubt they would've just been in your area "thinking" lets go chase a random person for the rest of the night?....
2 people having run ins with minorities versus the 200000000 minorities having run ins with disobeying made up laws against anglo americans.
I mean Emmit till or w/e was killed for whistling to a white women....

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by BradKell
First, let me preface. This all came about due to an entirely different thread. I used the term 'Reverse Racism' and some one else picked it up later. When they used it they were hit with a post about not knowing what Racism was if they thought the term was accurate. I came to Education and Media because these two pillars of society give us our general view on Racism.

I will say that I am not a Racist, I make a decision on an individual and not a group. This is why this gets me so worked up. I wonder, just to throw a little ATS into the pot before I stir, if perhaps the perspectives could be feed to us for a reason, i.e. Government, Secret Society, etc.

I do not advocate that to be the truth, however this could be something overlooked by those who believe such things and I feel best when I look at both sides and both sides have equal information.

Here is what I posted. Take it as what it is, a statement about the definition of Racism and how the definition is not being equally applied. Please, let us keep bigotry out of this thread. If you are offended by what comes below, U2U me and I shall explain. I feel I state nothing wrong, but I know in any areana (especially ATS where thoughts have hearts) tempers may flare. (Rest in 2nd post to fit all without break)

i ¡m totally agree with what you said

me too i'm not raist

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
To the OP: What is reverse racism?
Could you please explain to me what it is.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I personally don't believe there is such a thing as "reverse racism". And what I mean by that is that if one person treats another person differently purely because of their race, that's probably simply racism.

(I say probably because there are cases where a person might choose a mate of a particular race because they have a preference for that race. That's not necessarily racism, but preference.)

Having said that, many people believe that racism can only be practiced or experienced when there is a SYSTEM or STRUCTURE in place that supports RACE A over RACE B. Therefore, only people of RACE A could be racist or practice racism. RACE B can be "prejudiced" against RACE A, but cannot practice "racism" because there is no STRUCTURE in place that supports their position.

I understand that point of view, but I don't agree with it. I think it's a cop out, personally. Yes, there has been a structure in place that supports whites over blacks, but to rid ourselves of it, I believe we have to work toward a goal of ridding ourselves of ALL the racial hatred and prejudice that exists now. An impossible goal, perhaps, but one to work toward.

BUT!! I think we have to look at this structure and accept that it is and has been a reality. We aren't doing anyone any favors by ignoring the way things are and have been. I believe the White Christian Heterosexual Male has historically been at the top of this structure. And if you're anything different than that, you've probably experienced some form of discrimination. And even today, the WCHM himself is experiencing discrimination because he's been at the top for so long and the other people are tired of it. That's where the quotas come in.

If things had been equal all along, there would be no quotas. But we're in the middle of change. We're moving from a racist, prejudiced society into equality. And ONE way to do that is with quotas. And if you're a WCHM and complaining about it, think about how it has felt for all these years to be a black woman or gay man who was turned down simply because of who they are and not their education or experience. It does suck. Either way.

And in this transitional period, probably no one is going to be happy about it. But to be fair, the government is instituting policies to "make" it more fair. It's not punishment any more than a black man being rejected because of his race was punishment. IMO, it's institutional racism, still. But this time, the goal is not to strengthen the power structure, but to equalize it. Two sides of the same coin. It's wrong. But necessary, in my opinion.

By the way, welcome to the United White College Fund. It's been done. No one batted an eye.

new topics

top topics

join