The strange case of Lovie Herman puzzled doctors for more than a decade.
When Herman lost her struggle shortly after midnight on Dec. 9, 1910, the reported cause of death jolted the medical community and sent a shock wave
through Northeast Ohio. It was the stuff of nightmares.
Dr. Alex J. McIntosh, Herman's attending physician, certified that his patient had succumbed ``due to stomach trouble caused by lizards in the
stomach poisoning the entire system.''
``There is absolutely no question about the lizards being found in the girl's stomach, for I have the two largest ones preserved in a bottle in my
office,'' McIntosh said.
He also reported finding a batch of eggs in a tiny ball. The green reptiles had been in her system a long time, he said. Herman's family told him
that she had taken a dip in a ``cool, refreshing spring'' near Millersburg a dozen years earlier, and it must have been there that the girl
accidentally swallowed tiny lizards or possibly their eggs, he said.
A few days before Herman's death, McIntosh said he had given the woman a strong dose of medicine under the assumption that she was suffering from a
tapeworm. That's when, he said, she could feel the reptiles ``crawl up her throat.''
``They are each 3 ˝ inches in length,'' he said. ``One lizard is as well formed as any I have ever seen. I also extracted several smaller lizards
from Miss Herman's stomach, but I have kept only the two largest ones. The head, mouth and tail on both are to be plainly seen.''
TIf this were true it would be the freakiest cause of death I have heard of! Why the Dr. would make up something like this I don't know, but
apparently he retracted the story after pressure from the medical community
[Edited on 1-3-2004 by jezebel]