It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Phoenix land or crash on Mars?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Denied

the education and media streams are other stuff they usually stream. They stop them to give all the bandwidth to nasa tv for phoenix. There will be no disruption to phoenix coverage

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by Denied

the education and media streams are other stuff they usually stream. They stop them to give all the bandwidth to nasa tv for phoenix. There will be no disruption to phoenix coverage

Ahh cool, i thought they would temporarily cut it off in case anything went wrong....Thanks.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
nice one comms are good

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Separation and UHF signals going. They have a good strong UHF signal between Phoenix, Mars Odessy, and Earth.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Will Phoenix land or crash on Mars?

Its landed, everything went ok...

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Denied]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
We owe a big thanks to the Canadians (CSA-ASC) for their contribution of the on-board weather station.

They also set up the L.I.D.A.R. equipment. This will help in getting best images and for other ranging aspects. It's the first LIDAR set up on another planet.

(Light Detection and Ranging) is an optical remote sensing technology that measures properties of scattered light to find range and/or other information of a distant target. The prevalent method to determine distance to an object or surface is to use laser pulses. Like the similar radar technology, which uses radio waves instead of light, the range to an object is determined by measuring the time delay between transmission of a pulse and detection of the reflected signal

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Hi Badge --

I believe the LIDAR on Phoenix will be doing more than range-finding. I read that they will use the LIDAR to detect the size and distribution of particles (such as water-ice) in the Martian atmosphere. If you saw the animations of Phoenix workning on Mars, you may have seen the green laser light pointing straight up. That green laser is the LIDAR. The LIDAR and the meteorological station was supplied by Canada.

Here is an excerpt from NASA's website:

Throughout the course of Phoenix surface operations, MET will record the daily weather of the martian northern plains using temperature and pressure sensors, as well as a light detection and ranging (LIDAR) instrument. With these instruments, MET will play an important role by providing information on the current state of the polar atmosphere and how water is cycled between the solid and gas phases in the martian arctic.

The MET's lidar is an instrument that operates on the same basic principle as RADAR, using powerful laser light pulses rather than radio waves. The lidar transmits light vertically into the atmosphere, which is reflected off dust and ice particles. These reflected light pulses and their time of return to the lidar instrument are analyzed, revealing information about the size of atmospheric particles and their location.

From this distribution of dust and ice particles, scientists can make important inferences about how energy flows within the polar atmosphere, important information for understanding martian weather. These particles also reveal the formation, duration, and movement of clouds, fog, and dust plumes, improving scientific understanding of Mars' atmospheric processes.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The first images are in:

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Badge01]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Haha,I'm betting it lands just fine.Anyone wana disagree?

Lol,sorry I couldn't help myself on this(since we all know now it landed just fine)

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Here's what fossil hunters will find at Phoenix site,mostly sea creatures fossilized/freeze dried.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Oh jeez....way to hijack a thread with your amazing creatures again. Can you give it a rest already?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

There are live masked faces at Phoenix site,unbelievably.I thought it was too cold for life there,but apparently not.A very large triangular dragon face with glaring eyes was too faint to capture for right now,but looks like the Spirit site species,eyes sunken in and perfectly round.Wow before mid-night here.

sty

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by vze2xjjk

with all the respect, where is the fossil ? the only form of life they would tell us about is unicellular .

[edit on 25-5-2008 by sty]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Please take your nonsense to your own thread please. This is about the technological achievement of landing Phoenix on Mars, not about the fossils you can only see in every pic someone posts on ats.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Dude are you freaking kidding me? You really can't be serious, can you?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by pompano

Dude are you freaking kidding me? You really can't be serious, can you?

Yes, he's serious. Check out all his other threads...this is just the tip of the iceberg.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I'm wondering if the images are being converted to black and white for the public? Surely they didn't send that lander all the way to Mars without a color camera.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PullThePin
I'm wondering if the images are being converted to black and white for the public? Surely they didn't send that lander all the way to Mars without a color camera.

These initial images from the lander are RAW data..basically quick pics they took to ensure a few things went as planned (opening of solar panels, landed upright, etc). They have not been processed in any way shape or form yet.

The Lander does indeed have a color camera, and should provide some amazing images..

A stereo color camera and a weather station will study the surrounding environment while the other instruments
check samples of soil and ice for evidence about whether the site was ever hospitable to life. Microscopes will reveal features as small as one one-thousandth the width of a human hair.

from Mars Lander info

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
It's so hard to see them,so I must be the only one for this batch.But oters will find things too if I did.Phoenix success.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   

vze2xjjk,

We try not to drift too far from the facts and figures in the scientific forums.

I'd suggest we keep the fringe speculations to the proper forums.

Thanks for your cooperation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join