It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When will the dumbing down of America and me end?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Everyday I see in the news, everyday! murders,deaths,robberys car crashes, nothing but hatred and death, all i see on tv is shows that are retarded, highschool kids rushing home to watch hannah montana on nick f-ing jr. the dating shows on mtv which you need no talent acting or musical. scripted with absolutly no emotion at all! Check it out for yourself watch mtv for awhile,it won't be more than a few minutes before you run down to your closet pawn shop buy a gun and off yourself. reality shows that don't seem real AT ALL! Some of the dumbest commercials i've ever seen in my life,And it makes me angry just to think that this is how the media and major corporations, tv moguls look at you as a citizen. THEY LOOK AT YOU AS AN IDIOT! They find something stupid then drag it out til we can't take it anymore like the budwieser frogs.or the geico cavemen,or flava of love 12. And now tv and movies don't even try anymore they just remake old crap for a new generation. Just like our text books in our public schools are over 40 years old and no one says anything about it.WHY? have we really become so stupid and self absorbed we can't see past our own stupidity? No just blinded. Most of america goes by everyday not asking why? [worker ants] their lives sre so busy they don't have the time, the time to spend with their kids, family or even getting to know themselves which is why so many people are victims of this dumbing down of american citizens. Why all this you ask? because stupid fat people are easier to lead, easier to lie to with no questions asked,puts up less resistance to thier lies. Its got to the point to where they just lie right to our faces, and if someone points out a flaw in thier lies they just make up a more convincing lie to tell you, and then people just go on about their buisness, and it angers me that they think of us [American citizens] as idiots! And they do everything to keep it that way! How does that make you feel REALLY? Knowing that they just lie to you, and you know when their lying when they stutter their words,change the subject quickly,or simply just can't anwser a simple question. HOW DOES THAT MAKE YOU FEEL THAT THEY THINK YOUR STUPID AND EASY TO CONTROL? if you want proof sit down and flip through your tv,or read through your child's old ass text book from school, and you'll see something IS NOT RIGHT! Only certain people are getting smarter and thats the goverment,media,and major corporations, the rest of us are forced to live a somewhat primitive life, while they try to keep US the consumers STUPID!!! does anyone else realize this and what can we or should we do to stop this dumbing down of AMERICA?

[edit on 25-5-2008 by truthseeker816]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It's a good post and I agree, but please go back take out the all-caps, lest your frustration be wasted.

Edit: In the title also please.

Peace

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This topic is a issue that needs to be taken care of, everybody needs to wake up, ask questions,ask why and don't fall for the illusion you see on tv and media channels, do your own research.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I think it is partly the fault of the poeple themselves because at the end of the day the people decide what to watch on that hypnotube. Where i live the same thing happens too but when a informative show that makes you think comes on it will get a fraction of the ratings that the nobrainer shows gets so for the programmers it's a simple choice; will we make a show with stupid people in a house acting like idiots and get a rating in the upper regions of tvland or will we make a show that makes people think but gets a poor rating?

btw, i think part of the reason that nobrainers are so populair is because everyone is so busy with daily life (work, finances, social stuff etc) and at the end of the day they just want to relax and give the brain some rest so they'll watch some show that does not require an active brain.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Adults as well as youngsters need to start realizing that they are actualy going to need to learn to speak the language and how to read if they are going to survive. Being 'street smart' is one thing, but the world does not revolve around the street. Companies, that are still here in the US, are starting to fight the PC problems and require they're employees to be smarter than the average bear.

Zindo

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker816

Well there is a back lash against the dumbing down culture. Many familes are homeschooling their kids inorder to escape the degradation of the school systems. You can gauge how much of a threat this is is by the lengths the authorities are going to discourage homeschooling. Although I believe homeschooling or Catholic schooling are musts for little children their are still even better ways to thwart ignorance. I personally never watch T.V. Seeing outright slander on the evening news cured me of that addiction. Everytime you paint a picture ,read, meditate, exercise, hunt or do anything but watch T.V. you are weakening the beast from which ignorance flows.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The Government WANTS the population as dumb as possible. The dumbing down of America will only increase. My best friend is a HS teacher and it is SHOCKING how little his student's know. SHOCKING!

p.s. Take a look at posters' spelling on this very site for an indication on how bad it is!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

the caps are gone my friends

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

Real teaching is completely individualized. It involves mentoring . The teacher must know the students interests and strengths. Teaching never involves a one size fits all approach nor does real teaching attempt to turn kids into something they were not meant to be. A real teacher puts students in places where even their flaws are advantages. There is no mentoring of students in this society and it shows.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

well my spelling is bad but im not an idiot and yes, i along with many, have been dumbed down. i didn't even go through highschool and i'm smarter than most of todays high schoolers because i choose to at least try to educate myself which is more than i can say for alot of people i think my spelling is the least of our worries, so bash on someone else

Mod Edit: Personal comment removed. Please see Terms and Conditions of Use section 2) Behaviour. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 25/5/08 by JAK]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown

As long as you get my point! i include myself in everything i typed. so we don't need you announcing it like i was saying my [snip]don't stink so dont think your better than anyone cause you have more education in the school system besides that was the second time i typed it i was in a hurry but yes still uneducated in alot of things but it don't make me a mindless robot

Mod Edit: Censor circumnavigation. Please see Please Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 25/5/08 by JAK]

sty

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
probably when people will find out that to know stuff is more valuable than to have stuff. In my childhood (Eastern Europe) all the boys wanted to be aviation pilots and the girls wanted to be doctors (this was sort of a standard response a child would give when you would ask about what they want to became when they get older)
Now, not surprisingly - most of the children dream to be half-naked singers on TV or football players.The brain of a child is looking for models and goals. The only one that is provided to them is the one presented by the Media , so this is what they choose.
My solution - do not let your children be brainwashed with the vulgar media we see around us. Let them watch educational materials instead .Give them a "tour" of the decent options , so they can have a choice. The power is in your hands.
Concerning the adults - well , the brain is like a muscle . The more we use it the better it gets. So just use it!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Harman

true true i agree its partly the choice of the viewer to choose what he or she watches but when propaganda and small minded programming is the only thing being thrown at you. its insulting im not the smartest but i'm not a mindless zombie i try hard not to watch dumb shows cause they anger me i like the discovery channel alot history channel because i didn't have a chance to complete school so i learn what i can on my own and i have a long ways to go.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

I don't support any religous teachings as a school choice. don't mix school or politics with religous beliefs

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Then it is my suggestion you homeschool. Our public schools are full of prostheletizers who punish those who do not emulate their religious dogma and reward those who do emulate their dogma. The religion is called secularism. It is one of the least tolerant creeds the world has ever seen.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I don't think that the education system is dumbing anyone down. It's all because of a lack of self-motivation. In America, there are books, scholars, and espciaily the internet. How is anyone trying to dumb down the population? Maybe we're just lazy and overtaken by materialism.

Seriously, foreigners tend to do way better in school than Americans because they want a good life for them and their families.

This "dumbing down" in my opinion is just an excuse.

Not talking about controversial issues is not dumbing down. Some topics just can't be taught becasue teachers don't even fully understand or believe some of the concepts themselves.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   

my motto is: If everything is bothering you and you know something isn't going right, what are YOU gonna do about it?

new topics

top topics

join