It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas is LITERALLY going up every day!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed this?

Everytime, everyday I pass a gas station, the gas is going up about 5 cents.
I just passed a Shell and regular is $4.21!!

I have hardly any gas in my car, and I skipped the gas station because I don't want to feel violated just by filling my car up.

Can someone please briefly explain WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Well oil is not renewable and we already passed it's peak. So soon there will be no oil anymore.

There is also documentary 2013: Oil no more. I think it's available online. Another thing is that US dollar is weaker every day. Opec and some other organisations are thinking about € as new currency to trade oil in. Also Chinese are changing their $$$ reserves into Euros but really slow. Because if they did it all at once. USA would have huge inflation and $ would be worth far less. Until the end of year prize will be around 200$ on market. Now it's around 135$.

Here is the link:

www.dailymotion.com...

I hope it works.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Locus Iste]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Locus Iste
Well oil is not renewable and we already passed it's peak. So soon there will be no oil anymore.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Locus Iste]

I find it hard to believe. I see no justification for such a rapid increase in price.

When GWB took office, oil was $21 a barrel. Now it's almost 7 times higher!

There is plenty of oil. They won't build refineries. This creates an artificial bottleneck in supply, so they can charge whatever price they want.

It's like DeBeers diamonds. There are millions of carats of diamonds in the world, but since their supply is under an almost monopoly control, people will spend thousands of dollars on a tiny little rock.

If there were free market competition in the diamond industry among many different companies, a diamond wouldn't be worth much at all.

Since oil is under the control of a cartel, the price has been artificially inflated. There's plenty of stuff to go around.

Just recently they found 200 billion barrels of oil in NORTH DAKOTA. And yet, even after the news of this discovery, the price at the pump still went up. How do you explain that?

Long story short, we are getting very, very screwed.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by ianr5741]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
yea gas down here is already 3.87...now that may not seem bad, but we are close to the oil and some other factors are involved that give us cheaper oil that in most of the country.

but i predict that within maybe a couple of weeks gas will be at around 4.02, then by the end of summer it will be around 4.35 or 4.50...i think by next summer we will be looking at 5-7 bucks, which is what people pay in Europe.

of course people upstate in the us will be experiencing these things more often!

All in all PEOPLE we are screwed! i literally went and bought a bike at walmart the other day, it saves me about 20-30bukcs a week on gas considering i only full up half way.

And not only that but since gas is going up, prices of food are going up too!

by this time next year it will be allot tougher. Oh and diesel is crazy, i bet its already 5 bucks up state considering in New Orleans its around 4.15 or something.

but its all because of a set plan, read all you can on this thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I don't agree here, oil was about $21 a few years ago, but demand had increased a lot since then, think of india china and other country's that decided they wanted a piece of the cheap oil as well before it ran out.

So guess what... they where just in time, becaurse the demand has outrun the supply, and by that, I don't only mean the producing part of supply but as you already stated, also the refining part.

The major oil company's are not investing enough in refinaries to keep up with demand, I guess this is true, but have you even wondered why that is? Most people into the peak oil thingie
believe it's becaurse they
know oil production is over it's peak, and it's not worth investing in expensive refinaries when the is not increasing anymore. I personally believe this to be true.

There is plenty of the stuff going around, and there are still more reserves to be discovered, the real problem, is getting it out fast enough, and the quality becomming less, the good stuuf goes first.
I really think, the production peak has formed, and will (with a bit of luck) stay stable for a couple of years, before starting its slow but inevitable decline.

The recent find in North DaKota which I cannot verify at this point, but also any other find, like brazil or the alleged finds in the arctic circle will perhaps help us, but not on short term. The time from a find
being discoverd, to actually producing is generally said to be about 5 years. Too long to make up for the current increase in demand and lack (if not decease) in supply.

I personally worry a lot about this, and the only thing I can do is propagate the need for alternative sources
to be developed. If concisness about this subject is all I archive I will be happy.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
There are still tons of oil out there.. We have by no means depleted all of the oil resources this world has to offer. A good start would be to build a few more Refinery stations.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Lantian]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Agreed, there's still much more left, although not in the quality and quanitity we are used to. Hense the high gasoline price.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackCat13
Agreed, there's still much more left, although not in the quality and quanitity we are used to. Hense the high gasoline price.

funny you mentioned that.. I noticed Im getting much less mpg. The gas we are putting into our car is probably 90% water

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix

Originally posted by BlackCat13

funny you mentioned that.. I noticed Im getting much less mpg. The gas we are putting into our car is probably 90% water

If it was that heavily watered, you'd be getting zero MPG...the engine wouldn't start or run on gas that was more than a few percent water. Declining quality of oil doesn't impact the quality of the gasoline (it's the same refining fraction, and the same additives)...but it can and does impact *how much* gasoline can be refined from a barrel of oil, and the sort of trace 'goodies' left in the heavier fractions (that become diesel or bunker oil)...the usual souring agents are sulfur compounds.

If your MPG is dropping, check your tires for correct inflation (an easy one that a lot of folks miss), clean your injectors, and have a tune-up.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Speculators are running wild driving up the price because bush continues to buy filling the reserves and the opec/saudis are punishing america for bushco plan of iranian attack. that is why bush must stock piling the reserves. Once the iranian war begins, the spigit gets closed to those bad little neocons.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Like others have said, I don't think this is peak oil. It might be getting close to it, but as others have mentioned, the price has shot up extremely sharply since Bush took came in.

The Bushmeister was visiting the Saudi's just recently to try to get them to release more oil from OPEC - he even offered them nuclear power. The OPEC gang has got the west by the proverbial, so I think that explains the sharp prices somewhat.

Not to mention China's appetite, the speculators, the odd war since Bush came in, and the anemic US dollar.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

I agree that we have not past peak oil yet. A small group of elites are attempting to 'artifically' botteneck the system by not building more refinieries. I believe that this gas crisis could acually turn out for the better in the end. I am not taking any othe propaganda stuff, but here is the story:

So, we are nearing the year 2000, and we are on a ever-more fast consuming path to use up oil for all consumer needs. China is currently streching its economical muscles and basically trying to rebuild an empire, all the while the rest of the world is consumeing oil like never before.

Maybe this was planned or not. Maybe a small group of intelligent people got together and looked towards the future. The reason was, ten years ago, we were on a fast track towards Armageddon, or our downfall of civilization. The rate that we were consuming oil was tremendous. But between the last 5-6 years since 2000/2001/2002, we have started to see a change.

Suddenly at the begining of the 21st century, we were not looking anymore closer to Buck Rogers as we were half and century ago.

At first, slowly people started to get smarter (not entirely though
) and started looking towards the future. Maybe it was a very small amount of people at the EPA, but anyways, the idea spread.

Look at us now! We still may build our huge SUV's and ride in cas-guzzling airplanes, but look at the turn this oil crisis has done for us. We have had some failures in the green field, but there has been some accomplishements.

This crisis has started us down the road to a soicety that can use renewable resources. Even if it may seem slow, but we have made large progress in this field. Most of the fastest growing jobs are in green energy.

The main point is that the 'crisis' controled or not, will have turned our sociaty for the better. We will run out of oil 'soon' but at least we will be prepared for it, instead of turning a blind eye to it.

Thanks
Peacemaker33

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peepers
Speculators are running wild driving up the price because bush continues to buy filling the reserves and the opec/saudis are punishing america for bushco plan of iranian attack. that is why bush must stock piling the reserves. Once the iranian war begins, the spigit gets closed to those bad little neocons.

You might want to look into exactly how much of our oil goes into the Strategic Oil Reserve. Filling it (or topping it off, as it tends to get tapped every time such an action is politically (rather than militarily) expedient, is an ongoing process, not just under President Bush, but under every president since just after World War I.

I hate to point this out, since it interferes with the popular pastime of "Blame Bush for Everything", but the President doesn't have a great deal of personal control over how much oil America purchases. If you're looking for a 'bogey-man' to blame high oil prices on, you might look into the number of environmental groups and NIMBY groups that have blocked construction of refineries and development of domestic supplies. Toss Congress in there as well, for the same reasons. Once the "stupidity stew" is simmering, season it with a falling dollar and rising international demand. Serves approximately 300 million.

As a side note, why is it horrible beyond contemplation for US companies to drill for oil in the Gulf of Mexico, and off the coasts of Florida and California, but perfectly fine for Nigeria and other oil-producing countries to buy long-term leases on those same areas?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
its all crap. Dont give me that limited oil supply garbage, everyone is still getting all the gas they need, we're just paying 5x as much for it. If it was a true fuel shortage, you would see gas stations sitting empty all over. Its all just the business owners deciding to charge whatever they like for it, and our government isnt responsible enough to step in and regulate prices. After all, profits are far more important than people in this country, its obvious in all industries and across all our legislation and all our news. then there are countries like venezuela where the oil has been nationalized, and they are getting their oil for 13cents a gallon. yeah, that sounds like dictatorship to me.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Food for thought, 1 barrel is 42 US Gallons, most people think a barrel is 55 gals but that is called a Drum. We can get; give or take about 19 Gals of Gasoline out of each Barrel of oil. 1 Barrel of oil is $135 US Dollars. Do the math. In the UK they are paying about $10 a US gallon of Gasoline and it is going up. We still have it cheap.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
Can someone please briefly explain WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

Sure.

There is a country that ripped the infrastructure out of an oil producing nation - Iraq - , and in doing so destabilised the region.

That same country has an openly hostile posture to another oil producing nation - Iran - , in the same region, destabilising it more.

That country also supports Israel at every twist and turn, thus destabilising the region further by its continuing refusual to acknowledge serious issues that affect the other players in the region.

Its a country that has an openly hostile posture to Venezuala, an oil producing country.

That country that is trying to deploy a missile shield in Europe that the Russian Federation sees as an agressive action, and the Russian Federation is a major oil producer and energy supplier.

People who sit in stockmarkets see all this, and get nervous when they percieve hostile actions are possible that will restrict the production and flow of the product they deal in. When they get nervous they buy in stocks. The more units that are sold, the more profit can be made, so the price of a barrel of oil increases to counter demand, and also to make more profit.

The end result is that this speculation means the cost of fuel is rising daily. Theres nothing most people can do about it, but 255 million people might want to ponder on who they are going to vote for in November, and whether or not they are likely to destabilise relationships with oil providers even more, or can come up with another way of handling things.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Its the same here in the UK, its driving me mad, i have to use my vehicle for business so i do a lot of mileage.....

its around £1.30 a litre.... shocking!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
not to mention, its not all opec raising prices. The dollar has crashed 60% since bush came into office and its estimated it will plummet another 90% this next year. that makes it look like people are raising prices when in fact its also dropping dollars

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I just did a quick calculation. Based on the price of diesel fuel today and fixing that price for the next 12 months - it sure as hell isn't gonna go down, only up - I find that I am giving the government an additional £310 in fuel duty over the next 12 months.
That's on top of the huge amount I already pay them at the pump - I am currently spending in excess of £2500 per annum on fuel.

Is it any wonder Mr Brown doesn't seem to be in any great hurry to cap fuel prices or tackle the wild speculation that is driving up the prices?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I just whant to say one more thing about gaz.
yep - it's going up...
but more important, that some day in our planet we couldn't find even 1/4 gallon of gaz even for 5000 dollars...
Think about it

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join