It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan's People's Party proposes stripping Musharraf of power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Pakistan's People's Party proposes stripping Musharraf of power

www.mcclatchydc.com

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — Pakistan's fragile coalition government set itself on a collision course with the country's U.S.-backed president Saturday with a plan to strip Pervez Musharraf of his powers.

The move could create further instability in the country and is likely to heighten US concerns that political infighting is taking attention away from the anti-terror fight. American officials have repeatedly warned that the next terrorist attack on U.S. soil is likely to come from extremists based in Pakistan's wild tribal region.

The Pakistan People's Party, which leads the coalition, announced a legislative package that would take power away from the presidency and return it to the prime minister, the directly elected official who is supposed to run the government under Pakistan's original constitution.

Such a move would rob Musharraf of the authority that he currently holds to dismiss the government and also to appoint the head of the army.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Just what we need... a more unstable Pakistan... with nuclear weapons... a powerful military with a strong radical element.

www.mcclatchydc.com

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

im no Fan of Pakistan
but why would it be unstable? having a democraticaly elected goverment with more power then a dictator?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I agree with the above. We all know Musharaff was talking out of both sides of his mouth anyway. They might as well allow full democracy. The war of terror might not be the real most pressing issue in Pakistan. Just being an ignoramus I'd posit that food prices are the biggest issue in Pakistan.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

Just what we need... a more unstable Pakistan... with nuclear weapons... a powerful military with a strong radical element.

www.mcclatchydc.com

We have one already, called the USA.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Jinni]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I am just referring to the statement in the article that "The move could create further instability in the country"... also the religious fanatics and Taliban & Al Qaeda sympathizers have key positions in both the government and military.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by bodrul

I am just referring to the statement in the article that "The move could create further instability in the country"... also the religious fanatics and Taliban & Al Qaeda sympathizers have key positions in both the government and military.

How many love those that hold key positions in the US government?

I've never seen a rally in support of politicians once they are in power!

[edit on 26-5-2008 by Jinni]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

i would have thought that was your opinion/prospective
so what do you think if the article thinks that?

new topics

top topics

join