It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen actor in upcoming 'Harry Potter' film killed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I was talking about gun related crimes as opposed to gun related deaths. There's a big difference. I don't have any links directly at hand at the moment, but have seen stats before to support my assertion. On the international scene, take a look at Switzerland. One of the highest per-capita gun rates in the world, and yet carrying one of the lowest rates of gun crimes.

Here is one chart I have on the topic as well...

[edit on 5/25/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Sorry this image doesn't show up that well. If you hit the "go light" key in the top left of the first toolbar, it will be easier to see.

[edit on 5/25/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

to me it just undervalues the lives of others
when i first saw this i was thinking to my self what a bunch of BS
a kids dead and the first thing that comes to the media is Hes part of harry pothead.

i fall into the second categ where someones status doent wow us

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

you do know that a large percentage of Gun related crimes are done so using replica guns? BB guns and Blanks and so on.
only a fraction only envolve real Guns

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Actually, I did notice that when I looked over a few stats for London. It was something I had not considered before, and found quite interesting. I would venture a guess that those crime rates committed with fake guns are much higher in places like London, than in places where law-abiding citizens are armed.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

to me it just undervalues the lives of others

Well, I can't say I entirely disagree with you. I know some famous people myself actually, well enough to know that they're just people like everyone else.

But for whatever reason, people will pay more attention to an article such as this. Probably for the same reason that fans of various famous people feel as if they know this person thay have never met. Sometimes this phenomenon reaches dangerous and criminal levels even, with stalkers.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by mybigunit

Seems to me that the more relaxed states have higher instances of gun-related deaths.

Looks like jackinthebox is quite wrong in his assertion here then.

Not really only in a couple cases if you look at all the states. For the most part the laxed states have average gun deaths.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
i would rather face someone weilding a knife than a gun, at least with a knife i have a chance of either out running them or disarming them with a gun ... well i suspect my chances are 0 for out running a bullet or getting close enough to the assailant to disarm them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join