It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Approach Your Neighbor ? NOW?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Everyone says get together with neighbors, have a plan of action just in case something goes wrong, now is that reality? First of all, i live in a cold climate and have no children at home, so i dont get the opportunity to meet my neighbors,except for the obligatory Hellos here and there.

I have the feeling (a real feeling) that if i were to approach some neighbors who dont know me, the reception would not go very well.

That being said, how would YOU approach people you dont know and start telling them we are going to run out of food, lets get together and come up with a plan of action, bla bla bla?

Also keep in mind most people are STILL oblivious as to what is really going on... they dont come to ATS, they dont listen to Coast to Coast, they just watch FOX news,etc.

They all say that Bush will be gone soon (some people i have dared mention politics to) and that everything will be just fine!!!!!

Of course, we know that's not true- the powers that be will just continue to get worse.

So, how would you approach your soon to be "best friends", your neighbors you dont know?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I guess I would do it slowly. I live on a street that is mainly old people, most on the street did not acknowledge our existance until we had been here about 3 years. We have one neighbor that truly looks out for us, but we've never come to discussing the "what ifs" of the world.

I figure we'll just figure it out as it comes, in the mean time, we've been exploring our yard which has not seen any pesticides since we moved in, seeing what grows naturally and what is edible.

I think if you start becoming friendly towards your neighbors, when it hits the fan, they will be there for you, but perhaps I'm idealistic.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I would probably find something of mine to barter with them if I'm actually needing something. if it's just to say hello and get to know them then I have no problem introducing myself as a neighbor who lives down the street. That's how I already know my neighbors ;-)

It's a good thing to do for sure. They've watched over our home and help to keep us safe.

Tela

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Great post.

Although I would love to, I simply could never tell my neighbours. They wouldn't be any use. They are all women on pensions haha.

Telling my best freinds is different. I tell them, I back it up and they refute using what the TV has told them. However, It gets VERY interesting. One of them actually agrees with many of the points Alex Jones makes and some of the things he says. He also refuses to drink tap water and says that there is '$*!*' in it. This is in England where Apparently only the north east water supply has Fluroide and we are not in the north east. His occupation... is where he more than likely where he found the knowledge though.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Invite them over for a barbecue. Get the booze out. Drop seeds.

"Hey, have you heard that the Federal Reserve is a privately owned corporation run for profit just like Federal Express or Coca Cola?"

Then change the subject.

Have a good time. Get to know them.

Next time you see them, drop another seed...

"You know, according to the constitution, taxing people on their wages is illegal."

Then change the subject.

Of course, if they bite then you can talk about it all day and night.

Once people recognize there is a real problem and we had better come up with some plans for ourselves, then you can start to get together and do things to help yourselves locally.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well, when i say approach i mean about a plan of action. I am not anti-social and dont have a problem with chatting. Anyone who lives in the North East knows in the winter months they roll up the sidewalks and its over by 6pm.

I guess i better start baking brownies and distributing them around the neighborhood, maybe i should say "I made you these brownies while we still have the supplies"

I guess what really bothers me is in this one horse town you never get to see anyone standing outside

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Well, I can't really say, since I am working toward actual self-independence. As in, I won't really need any help (although any help would be welcome and reciprocal).

But I have noticed that this year, since starting several projects that are pointed directly at self-sufficiency, I am being treated differently. Suddenly people who wouldn't give me the time of day are offering to lend a hand, to do this or that... My stepfather just offered me the use of some cordless tools to finish the electric fence around my new garden. My mother (who normally thinks I'm half-crazy, half insane, and half evil) just offered me the use of her car while I fix an electrical problem on my pickup. The local church suddenly acts like I exist.

I'm assuming the people around here are somehow subconsciously aware of what's coming, despite no evidence to it on FoxNews. So maybe I can help you out with a little advice from the 'other side'... When someone approaches me, I am looking for one thing: trust. If I think I can trust them, they are welcome. I don't need (or want) help, but an offer of such, whether it's loaning me a cup of gas to wash out some parts, or advice on raising chickens, or anything... well, that indicates some amount of respect, and that can easily turn into trust.

I'd suggest you simply stop and ask them how their day is going when you do the obligatory 'hello'. Watch those around you (quietly and covertly, of course, not overtly and suspiciously) and see what's going on in their lives. Then when you meet them on the street, maybe something like 'I noticed you were working on your car last week. Is everything OK?' can be a real conversation starter. Or if someone has a garden, compliment them on it (this will get you free food too
). If you see someone carrying a heavy load, offer to help. In general, be nice and be helpful. You'll be surprised to find out other people are worried too. And worried people need friends.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Redneck,

You have such a fine way about you, i really like your posts. You are an awesome person!
I appreciate your advice always.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I know, I too love his posts, this one has great advice in it.

I just dont know if it would do any good to talk to my neighbors. What if they think I am crazy or something? I dont want to get us labeled, we live in a community here, so it would be hard to undo. Hope this makes sense. My sister and I have cut way back, and we both realize what apparently most here in this city(or my neighborhood) dont get, maybe they wont be affected. We realize that the gas situation is to keep people from traveling and meeting up with ease. It is to keep us isolated, and it is scary. If I didnt work in my neighborhood I dont know how we could make it.

I think a lot of people think when the new President is in office, all will magically be OK. I hope it is but I doubt it.

Good topic, DGTempe! I am waiting for more ideas from everybody else, sorry I dont have any to offer.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ianr5741

Invite them over for a barbecue. Get the booze out. Drop seeds.

"Hey, have you heard that the Federal Reserve is a privately owned corporation run for profit just like Federal Express or Coca Cola?"

Then change the subject.

Have a good time. Get to know them.

Next time you see them, drop another seed...

"You know, according to the constitution, taxing people on their wages is illegal."

Then change the subject.

Of course, if they bite then you can talk about it all day and night.

Once people recognize there is a real problem and we had better come up with some plans for ourselves, then you can start to get together and do things to help yourselves locally.

Big star for this one. Love it. Also flag and star for the OP - excellent subject to be brought up. Returning to our roots of "community" would make all of this go a whole heck of a lot smoother, but I am not holding my breath for a widespread community movement.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

All people even the ones here at ATS has no clue of anything. The I think I heard or I watched a video just does not get it for me. I have repeatedly talked to my neighbors even my so called close friends that respond with, "Holy Crap, where is that coming from?"

The truth is this. There is no proof except the scattered info you have read here or any other site that proves that the United States Of America has done or said anything that would implicate the doom of our Nation. Absolutely nothing. Period.

Hey, talk to your neighbors, talk to your friends, they may very well be able to help you on the road to enlightenment.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
We realize that the gas situation is to keep people from traveling and meeting up with ease. It is to keep us isolated, and it is scary.

Now, this is exactly how i feel. Isolation,confinement, regulate the movement of the masses, etc. Glad you brought this up. Even the airlines are going to become a thing of the past imo, so will travel by car, etc.
Excllent observation

This is why our neighbors are going to have to be our best friends, imo.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Hey it easier to eat someone you don't know so stay away from them. LOL
Sorry bad joke! Seriously though at this point in time they will just write you off as a looney. Can't you make plans with friends and family about this type of thing? I'm not sure I would want to hitch my wagon to a strange horse, so to speak.

Around here everyone who has a spot of ground worth planting a garden on is planting a garden, this is the first year that we have put one out in years. We are also intending to can most of our food. We also are buying heirloom seeds and plants, costs a bit more but we can save the seeds and not have to buy any next year and they have not been tampered with by the seed companies. We also are going to save enough seeds to share with neighbors and friends next year.

We are fortunate that we live in the country so that we can hunt if we need to for meat.

Even if one can't grow a garden they can go to the farmer markets and get fresh veggie and buy surplus from them or friends and neighbors to can. canning veggies is not hard, it does take some time and work though. You can also can meat, I have in the past ate canned pork loin, sausages and I also have canned venison. If you know how to prepare the deer at slaughter and don't use the ribcage meat at all, the deer will not have a weird aftertaste.

We still have a local mill so we are can have stuff like wheat and corn ground to have flour and corn meal.

[edit on 24-5-2008 by goose]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by goose
Hey it easier to eat someone you don't know so stay away from them. LOL

ROFLMAO

You have a point there- less guilt

It sounds like you are well on your way to being self sufficient and your neighbors are just as smart.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I have a small garden, that produces more than I need for myself. So, I sometimes take a basket of fresh vegetables (tomatos, peppers, cucumbers) over to the neighbour. It's not much but still a nice gesture. Maybe you could break the ice that way.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
When the SHTF the neighbors will all rally together. i live in florida and once the lights were knocked out by the hurricane everyone comes out of their houses and unites. The same will happen in any situation X or whatever as well.

What people should be doing is figuring which people in their neighborhood can't help themselves and make sure you are there for them when the SHTF.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity
Most will unite, but there will always be some who will take advantage of the situation. the trick is to know who you can and can't trust. Another reason to get to know the rest of the area.

I would suggest not getting too close to the ones you can't trust. Goose does have a point.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Excellent post dgtempe.

Fortunately all my neighbors are family. We live in what we call our family compound. It is fenced and has a gate that we never lock but can if necessary. Next to out property is another family compound.

I took the opportunity to meet and talk with the man of the family when I saw him eating in a restaurant I was in last week. It didn't take long before I realized he was of like mind concerning currant conditions. We exchanged phone numbers and assured each other we would be available if ever needed. He is Cajun and said he wanted us to have a low country boil at his place soon.
If I didn't know my neighbors I might have a yard sale. That usually brings the neighbors out to see what you have. Next I would start walking at least 3 times a week. Walking around the neighborhood can afford many opportunities to meet the folks around you.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Perhaps a bit off topic, but regarding the subject of community, I believe we need to start somewhere. The deconstruction of the 'neighborhood' took time, and it will take the same to reverse it. I have thought about this before, and think that by eliminating large schools and the bussing of students from all over the city to fill them, we can begin the restructuring of our communities.

I assume we are talking about big cities and such, since most small towns I have been to still have that neighborly feel.

Anyhow, my point is: by forcing students to leave their neighborhood, and go to another, that student has lost the notion of responsibility for their own neighborhood. Simply, it doesn't matter as much if you litter, deface, vandalize etc... because it's not 'their' community. If one could go to elementary school, middle school and high school in the same relative neighborhood, I believe it would facilitate a behaviour shift (possibly). If it was always THEIR neighbor's front yard rather than some stranger's front yard, kids would be atleast a little less likely to litter/vandalize.

It may seem like a small step, and an expensive one at that. But, one thing the old school-house era did have was: community. I really think it would help strengthen community envolvement and at the very least awareness of who the hell you neighbor is! Beacuse I'll tell ya, I certainly don't know mine

-Cuauhtemoc

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Its a good idea unfortunately during a crisis, most people will fall into their basic instincts and panic. Not wanting to share and will do anything to take what you have for themselves and their family.

I suppose a lot of people would actually go along with the plan in theory to be polite but when the s$it hits the fan your plans will most likely fall by the wayside. But you never know, there may be one or two people keen on this plan. There is safety in numbers. Not just because of pooling resources but to fend off any one wanting to take what is yours.....or you for that matter.

When it all goes to hell, stay safe everyone........and try and make it to Canada

[edit on 24-5-2008 by QBSneak000]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join