It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accident Russia Rockets Set Off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Accident Russia Rockets Set Off

news.bbc.co.uk

A fire at an air base arms depot in north-western Russia has reportedly set off several missiles.

Unofficial sources say that at least 400 air-to-air rockets were damaged at a cost of about $82m (£41m).

For its part, the Interfax news agency quoted an anonymous Russian security source as saying 450 missiles were destroyed at a cost of $100m.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.spaceflightnow.com
africa.reuters.com
newsinfo.inquirer.net
www.rttnews.com

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
On the Link Source there is footage of the event.

Russia launched today as well but purposefully a rocket with 4 new satellites, just a bit to the north.

"The Rockot was carrying three Gonets communications satellites and a small spacecraft to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1957 launch of Sputnik, the world's first artificial satellite."

Strange coincidence, however if the Russians have lost 450 Air to Air missiles thats a bit of a dent in their air protection for a while. Just glad the overstretched militaries of the world don't have a similair accident with more dangerous missiles or bombs!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-5-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Yep. I wonder where nuclear accident will happen. I hope they are not keeping 450 Nukes together,...

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
My opinion is that the Russians are up to something... just like they 'accidentally' sent fighter jets over the USS Nimitz, twice.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Earlier, an air force spokesman, Col Alexander Drobyshevsky, denied that any rockets had taken to the air as a result of the incident.

Nice flat out lie by the Ruskies there! Just look at the video footage...

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Locus Iste
Yep. I wonder where nuclear accident will happen. I hope they are not keeping 450 Nukes together,...

It takes a pretty specific chain of events to get nukes to go off - they wont ever go critical by 'cooking off' - what they may do is have the detonator charges explode and with that is the possibility of the dirty bomb scenario, but unless the charges are set off in exactly the correct way then you wont have a city sized creator! Mind you there is always the infamous Russian engineering so I guess anything is possible

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
LOL!

Do they store 400 missiles in a single room or something!?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Sounds like a page out of 'our' book... ie: the military plane being flown cross-country, N to S, carrying nuclear warheads... the possible 'missing' warheads (btw -- what ever happened to 'the count' of our inventory...? Accurate or not...?)... I believe another unarmed bomb casing/shell was found in a US field that had fallen from military plane. Those are the three I recall off the top.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

I'm pretty sure the US has simply lost 60+ warheads in various incidents over the years, prob more than a few of them lying on the sea bed - at least you hope they are still on the sea bed!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
First off, 450 air to air missiles won't make a dent in their supply. They will produce that in a month or two.

Number two, it's nearly impossible, a 1/9,999,999 chance, that a nuke could detonate in an explosion. The worst worry would be radiation and I'm sure almost every Russian has sucked in some waste at one point or another.

The biggest problem is that the individual russian commanders have launch codes and full control over their mobile land based ICBM's. The silos are on a central control system but anything mobile can be launched with the two keys or codes held in the hands of russian personnel.

The only thing keeping us all alive is M.A.D.

I'm just waiting for a Chinese incursion into russian soil and the statement,

"we need breathing room"

Their fully trained and armed ground forces now number 8 million and they have everything they need to supply them for years. The Russians couldn't support anything long term. I doubt we would intercede because we are stretched thin. NATO means nothing and the UN will take their regular stand. I see the end of the world starting there.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
i wonder if it was a terrorist attack / sabotage ?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by galatea

My opinion is that the Russians are up to something...

Hardly, this is what happens when the Russian economy has been in severe depression for over 20 years are attempting a "crash conversion" to a free market economy, they can't even afford to protect and contain their vast Cold-War era arsenal any more, which is why so much of it is being decommissioned.

Some Russian factory worker probably dropped his ciggie on an oil slick in the Missile Storage Shed and kablamo, free Fireworks show.

I wouldn't take this as a sign their trying to ignite a conflict or stage a flase-flag attack to blame on the CIA or something.
Russia is dirt poor at the moment and their military is more formidable on paper than in reality.

Number two, it's nearly impossible, a 1/9,999,999 chance, that a nuke could detonate in an explosion. The worst worry would be radiation and I'm sure almost every Russian has sucked in some waste at one point or another.

Very true point, it takes a complicated, sub-atomic series of collisions to perfectly set off a Nuclear chain reaction.

Fire or an explosion won't do the trick.
It's like C4, you burn it, shoot it and deep-fry it, but it won't blow, it takes a combination of heat, pressure and reactions to set off complicated weapons packages like that.

Rest assured an explosion at a Nuclear Storage Facility is not going to produce some massive tidal wave of radiation either, most likely some particles will drift into the air but seeing as these facilities are quite isolated the danger to the public is minimal.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by galatea

My opinion is that the Russians are up to something...

Hardly, this is what happens when the Russian economy has been in severe depression for over 20 years are attempting a "crash conversion" to a free market economy, they can't even afford to protect and contain their vast Cold-War era arsenal any more, which is why so much of it is being decommissioned.

Some Russian factory worker probably dropped his ciggie on an oil slick in the Missile Storage Shed and kablamo, free Fireworks show.

I wouldn't take this as a sign their trying to ignite a conflict or stage a flase-flag attack to blame on the CIA or something.
Russia is dirt poor at the moment and their military is more formidable on paper than in reality.

reply to post by Ragnarok691

Very true point, it takes a complicated, sub-atomic series of collisions to perfectly set off a Nuclear chain reaction.

Fire or an explosion won't do the trick.
It's like C4, you burn it, shoot it and deep-fry it, but it won't blow, it takes a combination of heat, pressure and reactions to set off complicated weapons packages like that.

Rest assured an explosion at a Nuclear Storage Facility is not going to produce some massive tidal wave of radiation either, most likely some particles will drift into the air but seeing as these facilities are quite isolated the danger to the public is minimal.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira

C4 burns quite well I've been told (by ex marines - I'm assuming they should know) But your right, it wont explode.

At a push you can take a pea sized amount on the tip of your knife - get it lit with a lighter (don't know how easy it is to get lit) and then you can boil a tin of water for a convenient brew... And in the next instalment of cooking with explosives I'll show you how to season your baked beans with gun powder! (no joke!)

top topics

join