It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is SETI???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Maybe a dumb question, but with all the newbies around, maybe not.

Can you give some brief info.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I was just wondering the same thing!

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Search for Extra terrestrial Intelligence.

They listen to signals using radio telescopes try to dechipher them and look for a "constant" or repeating signal

setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu...

And BTW the ONLY dumb question...is the one you never ask.

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Search for
Extra
Terrestrial
Intelligence

Basically they have lots of data collected from a very large radio telescope, and they have found the best way to get all of the information looked at is to break it down into tiny chunks and spread it all over the world to everybody who is running the SETI@home software and therefore getting the "people" of the world to do all of there "number crunching" for them. If you wish to joing the group follow the tutorial link below:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

*edit spelling mistake*

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Thank you. When I exhaust the conspiracies, I might just look into it. However, conspiracies are my main interest.
I think I have heard about it somewhere.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Did you ever wonder if you were actually crunching sounds coming from space? SETI still seems to be strangely unoptimized, even after having been around a few years. I think it's doing something else.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
What is SETI? The information above spells out what it is, but its purpose is to disrupt public interest in the subject of UFO/ET visitation.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Search for
Extra
Territorial

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
What is SETI? The information above spells out what it is, but its purpose is to disrupt public interest in the subject of UFO/ET visitation.

I would have to say, on the contrary. The SETI project utilizes, or harrnesses the power of thousands of computers for a single task, crunching WU's. For me this is the ultimate way one can help in finding extraterrestrial life beyond our universe and could eventually lead to explaining the UFO sightings we have here.

DontTreadOnMe, when you do decide to look into SETI@Home be sure to join the ATS SETI Team.

Even though there may be little chance of actually making contact with an alien species within our lifetimes, it is a worth while effort to help our underpaid and underfunded Doctors of Ufology.

Being identified as the person who finds the signal may not mean much on the grander scale because the signal took millions or billions of years to reach us, but to me it would be great having proof we are not alone

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by nwscc]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by EmbryonicEssence
Did you ever wonder if you were actually crunching sounds coming from space? SETI still seems to be strangely unoptimized, even after having been around a few years. I think it's doing something else.

Oh you want space sounds....go here

www.spacesounds.com...

www.google.com...

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I know what objects in space sound like. I was just saying that in all this time, something should have been found. Think about it. I don't think the numbers you are actually crunching have anything to do with space. Think of it this way. With radio transmissions going on for almost 100 years (or over) and TV transmissions having gone on for almost 60 years (or over, can't remember specific times of broadcast here), we've put an awful lot of crap into space for everything that can receive those transmissions to listen in on. Not only that, but many of those transmissions have gone through quite a few solar systems. The only reason I can think of as to why we haven't heard anything from "aliens" is because they are on a totally different technology to communicate with, one that the "regular" humans have yet to think of. Everyone believes they are so far advanced, thousands of years ahead, so why the hell would they be using radio to communicate with each other?
I think all you SETI crunchers are crunching something, exactly what, you or I will probably never know.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
you do have a valid point. We could actually be cracking some sort of top secret NSA code, or even creating it under some elaboate hoax.

But hell, it makes a pretty screen saver

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Thank you. When I exhaust the conspiracies, I might just look into it. However, conspiracies are my main interest.
I think I have heard about it somewhere.

you heard about it in the movie Contact. whether they mentioned the name or not. it was Contact. the movie that played aclip from a spice girls song in the very beginning. this....a big thing.....a drawing...and a guy on a beach are the only things i remember from this movie. oh! and the one liner:

"well, if theres nothing out there, then i guess its a pretty big waste of space"

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If you need any other questions answered, check out the FAQ's in this forum.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Just downloaded, and doing my part, or at least my puter.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Welcome aboard!!!! If you have any questions, check the TOP of the board. If any is not answered there, You can always U2U Me, and I will do my best to answer or find an aswer!
Trick

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Welcome aboard!!!! If you have any questions, check the TOP of the board. If any is not answered there, You can always U2U Me, and I will do my best to answer or find an aswer!
Trick

Thanks, I have two other Computers that are running all the time, I am going to download it to them too.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Here's another site for CSETI:

www.cseti.com...

CSEIT Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Hi team!!

Very many apologies for being"late to the party"!!

Welcome to all new members - thank you very much for taking part in SETI@home and for joining our ATS team!!
We are very proud of our "esprit de cours" which I think is amply demonstrated in the posts made here?!

As TMT suggests, we have his FAQ's, DJDOHBOY's excellent tutorial on how to get SETI@home "up and running" and an Index to try to show what each thread is about. We try to be "self-sufficient" as much as we can be!!

Look forward to your contribution! Thank you very much again!!

top topics

join