It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libertarian National Convention begins this week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Here is the Press release from the Libertarian Partys' website...

Libertarian National Convention begins this week

Presidential nominee will be selected May 25

The Libertarian Party will hold its biennial National Convention this week in Denver, where it will select its presidential nominee for the 2008 election. The convention will be held May 22 through 26.

"This is going to be a watershed year for the Libertarian Party," says Libertarian Party National Media Coordinator Andrew Davis. "Voter dissatisfaction with the major two parties is at an all time high, and people are looking to the Libertarian Party to provide a third choice on the ballot in 2008. Voters are tired of the 'business-as-usual' politics that they are hearing from John McCain and Barack Obama. Voters want another choice, and that choice will be the Libertarian Party."

That's another thing I like about this party. No BS... no dragging it out thru the summer... no wasting EVERYONES' time and money. Find your nominee and go get the job done.

I'm a bit dis-heartened that they mention Bob Barr and Mike Gravel in this release, but make no mention of the front-runner, Wayne Allyn Root. However, I still anticipate Root to get the nod. I'll try to pop back in here as soon as I find out on Sunday.

There are PLENTY of videos at Wayne's site and he discloses alot on his Issues page.

4 Vids at the top of his front page today (4 parts):

Wayne Promises to Finish the Job That Ron Paul Started: Part 1
Wayne on Health Care and Education Part 2
Wayne Addresses Global Warming: Part 3
Is a third party vote wasted?: Part 4

I haven't seen these yet to make any comment.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I got to watch some of the vids -- part 2 and part 3 -- it all makes sense to me -- I'm on limited bandwidth and will catch the others later.

Did anyone catch the LNC Debate last night on C-SPAN? I did not and am curious for someones take on it. The nominee is decided today. Root for Liberty!! Root for Freedom!! Root for America!! That's a 20 minute video collage of Wayne.

Or I'll have to figure out something for Bob Barr...
... "Barr none, Bob's the Best!!"

Here is Wayne's Video Page

I'll check back in later, or anyone else can, when a nominee is determined.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Settle in for a long day

Denver - The nominating speeches have begun at the 2008 Libertarian National Convention, the first step in what promises to be a long day.

Vegas odds maker Wayne Allyn Root is up first and has set the tone by splitting his 16 minutes into increments. He first showed an endorsement video from a Chicago talk radio host and now his daughter his speaking. We can only assume each of the eight candidates is going to split their time, too.

It takes 50 percent plus 1 vote to win the nomination.

That's the most recent report I can locate. I'm probably off to bed soon... Zindo or someone find the winner later this eve and post it, will ya'?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Some vintage Ron Paul from his '88 Libertarian Presidential run...

Referenced here...

Three Hits and a Miss
The Libertarian Party debate elevates Barr, Kubby, and Root, while Ruwart underperforms

It was Wayne Allyn Root who most complicated Barr's plans. Root's vein-throbbing, high-decibel TV-pitchman's answers divided the crowd, but by far the larger segment thought he stood out in a party that has opted for drab candidates since anyone can remember. Not since Ron Paul shouted down meatheads on the Morton Downey Jr. Show has an LP candidate radiated such energy.

And if I recall correctly but I will paraphrase Root from the 20 min. video linked in an above post, in response to gambling and some getting out of hand/addicted, [... we have alot of obese people in this country, but we don't go around closing down deli's...]... pretty much the exact point Ron Paul made in '88.

And I'm limited in bandwidth, so I haven't watched this yet...

THE FUTURE OF LIBERTARIAN POLITICS WITH BARR, GRAVEL, ROOT AND MCKINLEY

It appears to be a short 10 min. excerpt of a debate between these four.

[edit on 5/25/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Voting is being updated live by round. Thru three rounds... three rounds remain and 4 candidates...

www.lp.org...

It appears Gravel will be eliminated next. I gotta hope my boy Root picks up most of the ones left up for grabs with each elimination. It will be the pivitol round, with 109 votes up for grabs between Gravel's and the prior eliminee, Phillies.

Not looking good... need almost all of Gravels' delegates for Root to move on after the next round. Looks like Bob Barr with the late announcement and run will likely get the nod. I haven't conceeded just yet, though.

Round 4 is posted at the same link

Barr and Ruwart at 202
Root at 149
Gravel at 76, so eliminated and those up for grabs in next round...

ROUND 5 UPDATE

Son of a... Root is now eliminated...

Ruwart 229
Barr 223
Root 165, up for grabs

I'm baffled... but, Barr's late entry sabotaged it for Root

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I'm just devastated. I hope Ruwart pulls it out... Barr's only 2 years removed from the GOP and just another damn lawyer

ROUND 6 UPDATE

Barr 324
Ruwart 276

Looks like Barr get's the nod. I feel cheated by the system again; he's just a wolf in sheeps clothing... he's still a damn Republican... we'll see. I'm behind the LP for now...

How about a Ron Paul Independant run with Root as a running mate...?

Throw ALL The Bums Out!!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Wow, this is the longest conversation I've ever seen anyone have with themselves on ATS.

That doesn't look too promising for the Libertarian party.

Thats sad really. I've voted Libertarian many times in my day and even voted for Ron Paul in the primaries earlier this year.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day:

"THE HELL WERE NOT SINKING! SOS!!!!!"

Anyway, I hope we have a decent showing this year.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Yes... very sad, mrwupy... and not even 150 views. It's truly baffling to me that people are STILL so damn stuck on Republicans and Democrats

Thanks for joing in and making me look NOT 100% crazy

Libertarian Party selects Bob Barr as 2008 presidential nominee

More than 650 Libertarian delegates met in Denver from May 22 till the 26 for the 2008 Libertarian National Convention. After six rounds of voting Sunday afternoon, Barr was selected as the Party's presidential nominee.

"We're proud to present to the American voters Bob Barr as our presidential nominee," says Libertarian Party spokesperson Andrew Davis. "While Republicans and Democrats will fight for their own power in November, Libertarians will fight for Americans.

We surely need someone to fight for us Americans.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

My condolences, I know you were really pulling for Root. I wan't to see how Barr presents himself to the public. I like what he says. I do agree with you that it is worrisome that he is only 2 years removed from the GOP, but at least it is a start. That is still far better than the opposition.

It is sad to see that the media is filling its usual role and not even mentioning that the Lib party has formally selected its candidate. That doesn't bode well for Barr's chances.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Thanks Karl. There is at least some consolation...

Blueracer posted this thread...
Bob Barr wins the Libertarian nomination for president

And from the article he posted...
Libertarian Party picks Barr as presidential candidate

Barr endorsed Wayne Allyn Root, who was eliminated in the fifth round, to be his vice-presidential nominee.

Sunday's election also marked the end of the latest chapter in the political career of Mike Gravel, a former senator from Alaska who recently dropped out of the Democratic presidential race.

"I just ended my political career," he said. "From 15 years old to now, my political career is over, and it's no big deal. I'm a writer, I'm a lecturer, I'm going to push the issues of freedom and liberty. I'm going to push those issues until the day I die."

Out with the old, in with the new. Good riddance, regardless if Gravel FINALLY had a change of thinking. He didn't help much when he could actually do something about things.

new topics

top topics

join