It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix count down NASA are you ready?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Can't wait for the landing, hopefully they'll discover something cool!

Or at least something that isn't so cool they're still prepared to let us know about it!

I think if they found a city or something like they'd try to hide it, but something as big as that is hard to cover up. Someone would surely let slip and they'd have to come clean.

Guess that's unlikely though, but if it did happen it would certainly make my day!

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Is there an alternative method to follow this other than the Science Channel?

No got satellite or cable, just broadcast TV.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GrooveCat

Hi GrooveCat, This time around we on Earth will be in for some surprises especially finding H20 not to mention ice. The Phoenix Lander will be landing in the area in the northern plains called Vastitas Borealis and the temperature varies from 110 to 28 degrees F. or minus 73 to minus 33 degrees Celsius.

When choosing a landing sight for Phoenix Lander the Reconnaissance Orbiter was instrumental in picking the landing site. The spot was all picked out in 2006 to land on but with further investigation there were too many large boulders that could topple the Lander so plan D was implemented in the area of Vastitas Borealis.

What the Recon Orbiter was looking for in the original landing zone was Polygons, crack features created by changes in subsurface ice. These crack features are found in the Arctic and Antarctic on Earth. Lets keep our fingers crossed for big discoveries over the next couple of months from the Phoenix mission. Rik Riley

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
Is there an alternative method to follow this other than the Science Channel?

No got satellite or cable, just broadcast TV.

Since you have a computer go to:

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

All events will be on NASA Web T.V. I hope this helps

Rik Riley

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
go to jaxa.jp

Japan has a live fiberstream cam in space.

you can probably see stuff flying around..

need fiberoptic connection for optimal viewing.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Phoenix Lander is on target to land on schedule from the last up date at 3:00pm EDT in the northern plains of Vastitas Borealis on Mars. I took time to scan the area visually where Phoenix will land and this will be a hot bed of activity.

www.nasa.gov...

I have spent thousands of hours scanning Mars photos from ground zero missions to all the satellite missions for many years and have come to the conclusion that life exists on Mars. I was given a gift by way of a visual digital code transmitted thru the reflection of full spectrum light into my eyes from photos and I'm able to see things in 3D and what I call holograms on Mars. The landing zone and surrounding areas are absolutely loaded with anomalies.

One of the areas of interest in this photo is to the south of the red x used as the reference point and the landing target designated for the Phoenix Lander, and is at 6 o'clock from the x just outside the elliptical red circle. In this particular photo are two huge dark entrances going underground into 2 corrugated wavy looking Quanson Hut designed entrances side by side similarly found in Antarctica. This looks to be an underground base entrance with the 2nd entrance on the right with the letters LxA above ground. Enlarge photo to full resolution maximum size. Rik Riley

[edit on 24-5-2008 by rikriley]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I just put up a thread for an animation of the landing and deployment sequence. Pretty cool if you have not seen it.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Thanks SystemiK for sharing this great animation of the Phoenix Lander landing and this helps everyone to better understand the mission and the complexity of what was developed by NASA & JPL. We are expecting great things from the Phoenix Lander this time since the loss of the Polar lander in 1999. Rik Riley

[edit on 24-5-2008 by rikriley]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
metro:

So what if I am being sarcastic? Screw you punk!! What's your problem
besides being a limp wristed faggot?

What's it to you?? This idiot Rikriley is an idiot. Go ahead and ban me from
this pathetic horse# site. Go and suck on some tree bark and sea weed
and granola bars. You sound like some sort of faggot from Boulder or Ft.
Collins. Please take my name off of this bull# site and suck my dick you #ing faggot. You are one limp wristed faggot from the get go. Go #
yourself you little wimp. I hope to see you face to face one day and you will see how tough you are. Have a nice day, fruit pie.
I might add for you, wimpy Metro, or whatever your limpy name is,
this old Navy SEAL will rip you a new ass.

ZOOMER

PLEASE TAKE ME OFF OF THIS SITE, ASSHOLES !!!!!

ZOOMER

[edit on 25-5-2008 by ZOOMER]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I got up early so I could read/watch the results and I just googled and nothing so far, that's sort of scary
I looked at the NASA live feed and there's a schedule that says " 9 p.m.: Post-landing briefing" yet I can't find this briefing anywhere...anyone else? It's now 10:20am est and nothing yet....

LOL ok DUH, I got all excited and obviously the coffee hasn't kicked in, I was seeing 9am on that briefing...grins a sheepish grin and chugs the coffee faster!

[edit on 25-5-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Count down today for what is called seven minutes of terror for Phoenix Lander. The reason it is called this is when in the process of landing over 50% of all Mars missions have been lost at that time. With a delay sending and receiving signals of 15 to 20 minutes for commands it can be a very tricky proposition.

When Phoenix Lander lands it will be the first time in history that a space craft from Earth has successfully landed on the North Polar region of Mars. Lets keep our fingers crossed that this will be a flawless landing and a flow of valuable information that proves for me and I hope millions of people on Earth that life truly exists on Mars.
Rik Riley

[edit on 25-5-2008 by rikriley]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

I just had my cup of coffee too and all is well with Phoenix and you think we are on pins and needles think of NASA and JPL they have a lot on the line with this mission, 420 million dollars worth. NASA hit it out of the park with Spirit and Opportunity Rover missions and got the biggest bang for the buck in my opinion of any on Mars to date. Lets hope this mission has an even greater pay back.

Rik Riley

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Mars Phoenix Lander mission updates. These are sites of interest for coverage of the landing and here is the website to take you to them. Touch down of the Lander on the Martian surface will take place at 7:53.52 PM EDT today 5/25/08

hobbyspace.com...

Rik Riley

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The odds are with the Phoenix lander having a successful Landing. I feel 100% sure that this will be a successful landing and I believe there is more behind the scenes to make it happen then what we have been told.

Since more countries are entering the space race to land on the Earth's Moon, eventually Mars and beyond and if NASA does not divulge life exists on Mars some other country will China, Japan, France or India. Most of these countries behind the scenes are working in some capacity with the U.S. space program openly or in secret including Russia. I believe Great Britain and Canada are in there with the U.S. too but all one in the same when it comes to NASA. Rik Riley

[edit on 25-5-2008 by rikriley]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Bit less than two hours to go but since their trying to do the powered landing thing i wonder if their going to let this thing land at all! That being said since it carries no equipment that could detect life i suppose they can just as well allow it to land...

Stellar

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by StellarX

7:50 PM EDT Phoenix is in the Martian atmosphere and Odyssey has Phoenix in view, Phoenix dropping 1700 meters, 600 meters, 100 meters, 50 meters, 20 meters Touchdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7:54 PM EDT Phoenix has landed!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I knew it! Now let's see what they find

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by itisibrian

This is so exciting, congratulation NASA & JPL I knew it would happen this will open the door to maned space missions to Mars in the future. To verify that there is water is a plus and a must for the survival of future maned missions and colonies if the Martonians allow us to colonize. Rik Riley

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
If you really think that there is life on mars.. Ive got a real nice island in the pacific id like to sell you.. Ill even throw in a couple of red heads to make life a bit easier on you..

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rikriley

Thanks for the coverage rikriley. I did screen captures of the countdown clock 1hr out and 10min out and 1 sec out. They seemed to arrive on time.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join