It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Telectroscope' Connects New York, London

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Now the reason that I'm posting this is because I really dont know what the hell it is or how it works.
Well, I understand what it does based on what they said in the story, it allows people to communicate across long distances, something like video conferencing or a webcam or whatever. So if thats the case then whats the big deal?
Am i missing something here?

New Yorkers could see their English cousins across the pond Thursday without benefit of cable TV or video conferencing, courtesy of an unusual live optical hookup created by a conceptual artist with a fanciful tale of a long-lost tunnel.

An optical device called a "telectroscope" was placed at the Fulton Ferry Landing in Brooklyn and another one on the Thames River in London on Thursday.

Spectators stepped up to the machine on both sides of the Atlantic and waved and wrote greetings to each other in real time on wipe-off message boards.

They told knock-knock jokes, asked about the weather and found time for a few shout-outs to Queen Elizabeth and the Manchester United soccer team.

• Click here for FOXNews.com's Personal Technology Center.

Source

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Apparently it's optical... which is basically bending or guiding light through a fiber cable.

I'd like to see them try it with a mirror on the other side. Think there would be a delay?

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kruel

So theyre actually looking through the glass of the optic cable with something on each end to amplify/enhance the image?
Interesting, thanks for the reply

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
what a great hoax, i wonder if people are actually believing this crap!
www.tiscali.co.uk...

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
it is actually not at all un-feasible,
light is the fastest moving 'thing' we can understand in the universe,
now to think that that force can be beamed a relatively short distance
(when compared to astrological distances light travels)
from london to new york or vice versa,
its not that un-thinkable really, as thats exactly what optics do,
well obviously human technology plays a part as this light is digitalised and displayed =)

new topics

top topics

join