It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dip in brainpower may follow drop in real power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Dip in brainpower may follow drop in real power

www.world-science.net

Mod­ern, open and dem­o­crat­ic so­ci­eties are sup­posed to re­ward brains and hard work with suc­cess, at least some­what fair­ly.

But what if fail­ure degrades brain­pow­er, cre­at­ing a vi­cious loop in which suc­cess slips in­ex­orably fur­ther away for an un­lucky group that started out worse off?

Pow­er­less peo­ple of­ten achieve less be­cause lack of pow­er it­self erodes cog­ni­tive func­tion­ing, re­search­ers say.
A group of re­search­ers claims this may be ex­actly what hap­pens, so rosy views on the ben­e­fits of ad­vanced so­ci­eties must be re­ap­praised as sim­plis­tic.

“Pow­er­less peo­ple of­ten achieve less be­cause lack­ing pow­er it­self fun­da­men­tally al­ters cog­ni­tive func­tion­ing,” wrote the sci­en­tists in a pa­per de­scrib­ing their re­search find­ings.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-5-2008 by grover]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
HMMMM.... I don't know what to think about this study. I am about as powerless as you can get but I read 9 fairly difficult non-fiction books this past month and am constantly engaging myself in various activities.

That being said, worrying about money and all of that does take its toll.

www.world-science.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Also when you think about disenfranchised minorities be they poor white trash or blacks, whatnots... it seems the harder individuals have to struggle to break out... that however doesn't have so much to do with cognition as opposed to the act of disenfranchisment itself.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
A great article, but one that is aimed primarily at business and business functions.

I've done a couple of threads asking whether the ATS typical member (perceived) and membership could be expressed in terms of Maslows Hierarchy of Needs and Herzbergs motivational theory

Which is pretty much the same exercise as the article posted in the OP.

But it's interesting all the same.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
If one has someone else to do ones laundry and make ones food and an endless budget for books, computers, travel and whatever I am sure you one end up a more educated and knowledgeable individual than someone who dosen't have those opportunities, even if one is sparring in using them.

Sure, there are exceptions on both sides of the poverty level, but statistically it is not so much a question of ability as opportunity. I have allways thought that human potential is pretty much level throughout races and socioeconomical stratas, but opportunity of course is not.

Elitism is circumstancial imho.

new topics

top topics

join