It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STOP PRESS - Vast Cracks Appear in Arctic Ice

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Although the last time we humans attempted Weather Modification, we destroyed Atlantis, perhaps ramping up some of the top designs in this area would save many lives in the future. I for one am 'for' weather modification, however we all know that growth always comes with it's challenges.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Does it really matter what is actually causing it?

Everyone should just stop bickering about the cause of this "global warming"

But is only a theory. There is really no proof that global warming is actually happening especially since the global temps have NOT increased in 8 years.

Source 1

Source 2

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Even if this were the case (assuming the sources are 100% reliable) what is 8 years in the overall scheme of things? Glaciers and ice-caps don't retreat for no reason.

Here is a nice site dealing with this issue based on vast amounts of data:

www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org...

The 'arctic' tab is also very much worth a look in. (Note: The site was put together by an environmental photographer, so contains some interesting visual evidence.)

WhatTheory: your first article is a very good read. The second link, to the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works website may well be agenda-based in my humble opinion. Again much of the information is very short-term.

[edit to correct code error]

[edit on 24/5/08 by pause4thought]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyjackblack
Aw come on folks, surely this made at lest a couple of people chuckle right?

Just tryin' to lighten up the mood here.

-Jimmy

You do know that there are people invested into and in some ways religiously believe the man made global warming theory?

Other than that, it is hilarious

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

I understand your point. It is however the wealthy countries that are doing everything that is being done for the environment at the moment. However, it is these same countries who are under political attack while the countries like China and India are seemingly given a pass. We are constantly improving our situation and I see nothing happening where the greatest dangers lie.

You can surely understand why some might confuse your words. Why use the words "dark skin" at all? The third world comes in all colors I believe.

Everything in my first post came from "experts" I have seen speaking in the news recently. Some, like the fact the ice returned in the North, came from sites that report such data. I've noticed the Talking Heads have not gone out of their way to report facts as they happen. They scream information that backs their version from the rooftops. Very disingenuous I believe.

One problem with being a Moderate, which I tend to be, is that often people don't know how to approach my opinions. As I tried to say before, I do not know the whole truth here and I'm just sharing my thoughts based on what I've seen and read. The part about it getting cooler at the southern end of the planet, came from a man who I saw on an interview just a few days ago. I wish I could remember his name. He had just released a book and was introduced as being one of the people who started the whole topic. He was quite angered that his fellow scientists had bastardized his words and science in general in the quest for more funding.

If there is a real conspiracy angle here, it is that those we rely on in science have become part of the problem. They are little more than Lobbyists engaging in spin (lies) to make sure the money train arrives on time.

Another troubling fact is that as I mentioned, the UN team did not even consider the fact that the other planets are warming. Why should they be trusted? They literally wrote their opinion before they looked at the evidence. In fact, I understand they refused to consider that evidence. The UN is just a giant hole for money, where the Elite invent meaningless high paying jobs for their shirt-tail relatives and reward, probably for kickbacks, contractors who are their friends. It just floors me that people trust a corrupt governmental organization that puts some of the worst human rights violators in charge of policing themselves.

I will willingly admit I have a bias where people like Al Gore are concerned. He is such a transparent scumbag it's hard not to get angry. The so-called Environmental groups are not much better. Facts are the last thing on earth they want to see enter any discussion. They only want to scare us to keep the checks coming in to cover their six figure, or higher, salaries and justify their existence.

You should see how dishonest the Ads they pay for up here in Alaska are. I don't know how they keep from being charged with fraud. They form local Non-Profits to hide the fact they are involved and then flood them with money. Over the last couple of years, we have had record Salmon runs in rivers where they predicted dramatic declines. Have you seen any reporting of that? Good, honest, hard-working people I know who live and work on the North Slope tell me the Polar Bear population is getting out of control. They tell me they have to work with an armed guard now out of fear of attack. I don't suppose you have seen that reported? I know for a fact that these people are honest, so what does that say about what is being reported?

Since the oil pipeline went in, the Caribou herds have grown by huge percentages. Have you seen that reported? ANWR is being proposed on a salt-marsh where nothing but mosquito's live and not where the phony videos shown to the public were shot. Have you seen that reported? (those photo's and films were shot more than a hundred miles from the real site by activists on the other side)

Where this leaves me is once again in the middle trying to separate the truth from fiction. Both sides are lying constantly. Neither side deserves to be believed. All I can do is weigh the evidence. The Environmental Activists seem to lie the most often which is starting to tilt the scale the other way for me. Why anyone sends them checks just boggles the mind.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

Yes, I know this, but I do believe it is majorly a solar thing, I do believe that we are supposed to take care of the planet and that, that is one of the things God wants us to do is care for what we have.

The reason I believe it is not limited to earth is because of what is happening on Jupiter, the people who believe what is going on on the earth is mans fault never address this though (from what I've seen).

-Jimmy

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
You may find some answers here:

www.homepage.montana.edu...

If that theory is correct we should be in a phase of global cooling, yet the planet is still warming up.

Food for thought?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
There used to be a lot of people on this board that thought invading Iraq was a good idea, that Bush was brave and honest and that 'Rummy' was a great guy. They have vanished.

What will it take for the global-warming-deniers to vanish? A major global catastrophe? I believe so. When will it happen? Well, it can't be long now. The rate of climate change is constantly outstripping the models.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I too do not 'buy' into all this 'Man IS at fault' deal.

Sure, we do a lot of harmful things to our planet. We are a wasteful species.

However, I have to believe that the entire solar system is experiencing a warm up.

Look at some of the other planets, even they can provide the evidence to support this.

But I still believe we as humans should start to take action and stop the numerous harmful things we do. I.E. polluting the oceans.

Just my 0.2cents.

FK

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

...those who destroy the earth.

(Rev. 11:18)

Yeah will nuclear weapons not hair spray lol. The solar activity is directly responsible for all your global warming period. Any scientist with any real credentials can not ignore that fact. The last time the sun was at solar maximum was the worst time for hurricanes and other natural disasters. Wars and other crazy things happen during those times.

Did you know that there was not one sunspot during the last little ice age? The next maximum is in 2012 and cataclysm is going to be an understatement.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Forget Earth, we need to save Jupiter. Jupiter has been experiencing global super-storms since forever and stuff. If we don't start doing something now Jupiter could be lost for good. Do we really want to hand down a future to our children and grandchildren that shows our neglect for the largest planet of the solar system?

Oh, and save the moonbats. They are near extinction from all the explosions on the moon. Moonbats are not a renewable resource. We need to start a moonbat fund immediately. Do we really want future generations to experience the moon without moonbats?

Think about it people. These problems will not go away by themselves. It's up to us to stop all natural phenomenon because the universe doesn't know what's it doing.

Save Jupiter! Save Moonbats! We can no longer afford to ignore these issues hoping they will just go away.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjackblack & Frontkjemper

Whatever the original cause, and whether or not you agree man is at least responsible for the greenhouse effect that exacerbates global warming, we actually have a common goal: not ruining the environment. Not reducing CO2 output or not even slowing its acceleration means we fail in our responsibility to further this objective.

reply to post by Sky watcher

We've had nuclear weapons for six decades, and there is a strong case for saying they've helped avoid global war. The damage they've caused is almost entirely localised. Not so with the legacy of carbon-based economics.

As for 2012, while others will be stocking up on personal defibrillation devices I intend to chuckle away to myself - starting on New Year's Eve and going on right the way through to 2013. Yes, 2013. Who looks like a scaremonger now?

reply to post by General Izer

I like your style. Starred your post.

It's still bunkum though...

[corrected typo]

[edit on 24/5/08 by pause4thought]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

people we are like gods in that we can create our environment to suit our vision. My latest vision is a dualistic solution to global warming and high fuel prices. Solar Power Satellites between the Sun and Earth would be highly preferable to shooting sulfur into the sky as the supposed leading eco-warrior just proposed to the UN.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the star. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for living in harmony with the environment and not being a gluttonous slug. And my lifestyle shows that.

But, I cannot feel guilty over something that's not my fault and I can't change. Instead of just implementing any needed legislation the gov'ts are just piddling around looking for how they can tax us even more. If I ran things you can be sure that we would be using our technology for the betterment of all humans and the planet. But for the current corporations that's just not good for the bottom line.

No amount of pontificating and righteous anger is going to change the immature people that run this society. That is until they can figure out how to make more money on it. I wish I was just being cynical but their actions have proved their position time and time again.

No, I don't think humans are the main cause of the current climate changes. But that doesn't mean I wish to use that as an excuse to pollute with reckless abandon. I lived a minimalistic lifestyle before "global warming" was a worldwide meme and I will continue to do so. But nothing I do is going to effect the outcome either way. That's just the reality of the situation, from my perspective.

Edit: Paragraph didn't really fit. And said 'flag' instead of 'star'.

[edit on 24-5-2008 by General Izer]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
We also need to stop Continental Drift.

Did you know that plate technonics is the leading cause of earthquakes worldwide?

How many more incidents, like the recent one in China, can we afford to let happen?

Call your Congress person today and together we can build a better future without Continental Drift.

Pangaeans of the world, unite!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   

What next? The Greenland ice-shelf?!

Greenland was named green land, by the Vikings, because it used to be green. Covered with forests and plains.
Yes, it is a solar event. Break out the sun block and glasses.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

The so-called Environmental groups are not much better. Facts are the last thing on earth they want to see enter any discussion. They only want to scare us to keep the checks coming in to cover their six figure, or higher, salaries and justify their existence.

I have enjoyed your posts, Blaine, but I'm sorry - I smell a rat. This level of hyperbolae makes me suspect you are not as unbiased as you want us to believe. It's anyone's guess what your game is, but it's a cert you are not the middle-grounder you claim to be.

You claim environmentalist groups are characterised by fraud and lying and that people shouldn't support them financially. You also seem to suggest global warming and industrial environmental damage to Alaska make for a polar paradise.

Just hold it for a minute while I reach for my cheque-book...

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Howie47

Hi Howie!

Greenland was named green land, by the Vikings, because it used to be green. Covered with forests and plains.

Nice try, but the ice-shelf that covers the place is a lot older than that. Here is an explanation of the etymology of the name from wikipedia:

The name Greenland comes from Scandinavian settlers. In the Icelandic sagas, it is said that Norwegian-born Erik the Red was exiled from Iceland for murder. He, along with his extended family and thralls, set out in ships to find the land that was rumoured to be to the northwest. After settling there, he named the land Grænland ("Greenland"), possibly in order to attract more people to settle there.[6]

Greenland was also called Gruntland ("Ground-land") and Engronelant (or Engroneland) on early maps. Whether green is an erroneous transcription of grunt ("ground"), which refers to shallow bays, or vice versa, is not known. It should also be noted, however, that the southern portion of Greenland (not covered by glacier) is indeed very green in the summer and was likely to have been even greener in Erik's time because of the Medieval Warm Period.

Perhaps there was a little bit more grass where 'Erik' lived, but the ice that covers the island is on average about a mile thick. It extends 1,570 miles north-south and has a maximum width of 680 miles. (Source: www.britannica.com... )

If that lot starts cracking up - well just make sure you've got a rubber dinghy under you bed.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Howie47

pause4thought: Nice answer about Greenland
Well also sun theory keeps coming up even if it was proven wrong many times. Some people just don't give up.

www.smh.com.au...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 24-5-2008 by Locus Iste]

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join