It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Atheists...Atheists?

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
It would seem that someone other than our particular species is involved.

This doesn't mean that there isn't a god like being or technology, but that our interpretations are flawed.

Our current fiction is filled with super heroes. It just seems likely someone else has created a program just like it. Someone appears to be playing both sides of the fence.

I would be more inclined to search for the source, rather than accept what others believe or want me to. But, I'm about as put off by what seems like a demonic like atheist as I am a bible thumper who says I need religion and church. I've given up coffee and donuts, so, no thank you.

I don't hate churches or religion, I'm just tired of all the games.

I guess I could say I'm on the fence howling at the moon.....
Arrooo!

[edit on 12-6-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

I starred you! I believe that the biggest problem believing or understanding the existence of a higher power, creative intelligence, is in the interpretation of him!

I believe that it is crucial to believe in science. I am different in that, I don't separate the two.

I look at both worlds as extreme: religionists and atheists. Polar opposites, yet, much in common. I go down the middle of the road. I call myself a realist or spiritual scientist. I don't believe in a world without science nor science without a higher power.

Rarely, do I find fanaticism as forward moving, and this thread has proven on both sides that fanaticism is alive, and well! We can make a god of anything, that includes; one's fanatical viewpoints & opinions. God does not have to be a spirit creature in the heavens, it can be anything we revere above ourselves, or ironically; becoming a god, ourselves.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet
Why are Atheists...Aetheists?

Because anyone who didn't believe in "god" had to be defined for the purpose of argument!

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Because anyone who didn't believe in "god" had to be defined for the purpose of argument!

There is a personality profile for everyone and everything.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
hello

I am a Muslim, and i think that that the bible has been altered many times in history to by people who wanted the bible to go in their favor. If someone didn't like something in the bible, they simply changed it to meet their needs. Thats why its so contradictory to most people. Why don't u guys try reading the quran. I am not trying to enforce my religion on you, but just to see how it is different from the bible. thats all.

And i heard this somewhere, that one day a guy went to a barber to get a hair cut. He and the barber started to talk about various things and then came the topic of god. The barber said that he dont believe in god. The customer asked well why not. The barber replied that if god existed then why is there so many problems and suffering in the world. hearing that the customer stayed quiet. After the haorcut the customer walked out the barber shop and was heading home. he saw a homeless person with long hair and came rushing back to the barber, and said that i think that barbers dont exist. the barber was like what do you mean, im a barber. the customer replied well the homeless person outside have long hair. If barber existed then his hair woudnt be that long. the barber replied is because he dosent come to me for a hair cut. The customer replied exactly, there is a god but people dont turn to him or come to him for guidance.

i hope that helped a lil, idk loll
much love

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by R. master

The story is a good one but in a religious stance its a much broader comparison.

The guy who had long hair knows what a barber is and knows he is a person that works in a shop. God however isn't present on the entire Earth, he is elusive and remains hidden to most, whereas barbers arent.

Familiarity is the key here, a barber plays his role in life and cuts peoples hair and we all play our parts to a certain degree. God however is supposed to be in charge of everything but yet fails to show when he is needed.

A different take on your example is:

The barber is their to cut peoples hair and to talk to as a physical person. God is nowhere to be seen physically and he offers help with contradiction at the same time.

Id rather the barber than God, at least he is there to help and talk to face to face, God takes an entire lifetime to understand and wont help immediately like a barber does.

Nice story though and its the first I have heard like it

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I dont believe Atheists exist!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Drakiir

im glad u liked it, yea i see your point of view. well like i believe that if you go through hardships here on earth or like if u do something good, and u dont get the reward here on earth, that reward will transfer to the hereafter. Also if you do something good, like gave charity or helped an old lady cross the street or any good deed, god will give you a small problem to deal with instead of a big one. For example one morning while going to work i gave spare change to the people that work on the side of the road selling newspaper. i felt good about giving. then later that day i got a speeding ticket lol, i was like damn not a good day. then i though what if god like what i did in the morning and saved me from a bigger problem and gave me this small problem to deal with. i could have gotten into an accident or something worst. what ever hardships people go through in life, remember that it can be even worst. im from pakistan and i lived there for a year. Ive seen things that opened my eyes. people go through soo many hardships there that its just crazy. some people say here living in U.S. that how hard their lives are, im sorry for that, but remember that it can always be worst. God works in mysterious ways. He knows better. just my point of view. Also i view god as pure energy, or in our language NOOR(light). he everywhere. sometimes it is hard for us to understand god by our 3 dimensional minds. Our minds cannot comprehend that kind of thinking. The more educated we become we astray from thinking about god because we take pride in our intelligence. God exists in different dimension. our 3dimentional minds cannot really grasp that kind or understanding. that my point of view, let me know what u guys think, thx

[edit on 20-6-2008 by R. master]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by R. master

Thank you for both of your posts. I liked your analogy.

If we apply human thinking and reasoning we will always be short on understanding a higher power. The problem is; when we approach God with our limited thinking and expect bigger results!

Who or what came first...God or science? There are just as many inhibited science minded people that reside in just as large of a box, as many who believe in a God, yet, keep him in a box!

We have to take God out of the box that most have placed him in, and this includes atheists as it does the religious - to get a truer concept of who he really is.

He will show up if we let go of preconceived notions, and that can be very difficult to do.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

I dont believe Atheists exist!

If we go by the attitude that so many have regarding something they claim does not exist...I agree with you. I stick with my OP, there is a reason for everything and at times justifiable.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

He will show up if we let go of preconceived notions, and that can be very difficult to do.

So since you know this, emphasis on will.

What exactly is he?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Indeed, tons of hypocrisy among us believers, but it's important not to knock Christ for the screwups of His followers. Keep talking to Him, brother.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Here is another quote of Einsteins:

"I maintain that the cosmic religious feeling is the strongest and noblest motive for scientific research."

I felt that many of you would appreciate that, especially since he is such a revered scientist.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Why are Christians, Christians? Why are some Christians cool and some just plain...disturbing and scary? Why can't Christians even agree amongst themselves on how to interpret the Bible? Why did they decide on the books in the Bible when there are at least a couple dozen more that have been left out?
What's up with Islam? What's up with Hinduism? What's up with Judaism?
Why is there three religions in the world that worship the same god, but can't agree on anything else? Why do people believe in anything they believe?
I don't know, do you? The only thing I do know is I'm tired of watching SOME of these people fight, fight, and fight some more with EVERYONE.

I am not an atheist ( I know some though...some are nice people, some are jerks). I am a Taoist. I became a Taoist because it made much more intelligent sense to me as well as much more emotional sense to me. I don't have gods. I don't have lotsa outdated rules (I have the Shaolin Code, the get in tune with the Tao code, and the do as ye will lest it harm another code). My life is simple and revolves around being a "good" person, causing trouble for the PTB, developing myself mentally, spiritually, and physically as far as I can ...and just enjoying life like I believe we were meant to. I don't pick religious fights with people, I don't proselytize, I don't tell people they are going to burn forever cause they like butt-sex, and I don't see myself as better than anyone else.
I realize this maybe kinda off topic in a sense, but I feel that my point is quite clear.

Now, time for some cookies. Home-made, chocolate, no-bake, oatmeal cookies to be specific. Jealous?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Torsten

You are funny! Thanks for your response.

Why are Christians, Christians? Why are some Christians cool and some just plain...disturbing and scary? Why can't Christians even agree amongst themselves on how to interpret the Bible? Why did they decide on the books in the Bible when there are at least a couple dozen more that have been left out?
What's up with Islam? What's up with Hinduism? What's up with Judaism?
Why is there three religions in the world that worship the same god, but can't agree on anything else? Why do people believe in anything they believe?
I don't know, do you? The only thing I do know is I'm tired of watching SOME of these people fight, fight, and fight some more with EVERYONE.

I think I do know. People are followers. People are codependent. Very few stand up for something that they know will receive a lot of flack. Most of the masses only; eat, sleep, procreate and deficate. Harsh reality but still reality. Just go to KMart, Wal-Mart etc. to get a good picture of what I am saying.

The masses are going to be religious because the masses are religious! Get my drift? But, it doesn't make them right. That is why when the #@!@ hits the fan there will be much weeping and gnashing of the teeth.

So if all these religions are right at least according to their members, and they all have the truth, what does that make God? One confused being? One that has multiple personality disorder? I don't think so. It is time for a revealing!

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

2. If we can end this debate over the validity or existence or non-existence of God, this would probably make a lot of us happier. You cannot disprove, or prove, the existence of a higher power! To believe either way requires faith. Agnostics believe that and so don’t take a stand either way. My husband calls agnostics: codependent atheists. But that is another story.

firstly, agnostics dont believe in religion or god because there isnt any proof, thats in the dictionary.

athiest dont believe in god because there isnt proof not my words. so your husband is a spazz.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Richard.M.J.Palmer

athiest dont believe in god because there isnt proof not my words. so your husband is a spazz.

LOL! Express your feelings!!

The actual truth is; many people regarding many important issues will take a back seat and not take a stand because either; they aren't sure what their stand is, don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers, have a fear of opposition and the inability to defend their stance, or are awaiting more information.

Many of the above involve codependency. I know too many agnostics to count, and of those, most I would say are codependent. Often their opinion will change depending on who they are talking to. Again, this reality can apply to many hot topics, not just my OP. Others are just not sure and I honor that stand.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Richard.M.J.Palmer

LOL! Express your feelings!!

The actual truth is; many people regarding many important issues will take a back seat and not take a stand because either; they aren't sure what their stand is, don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers, have a fear of opposition and the inability to defend their stance, or are awaiting more information.

Many of the above involve codependency. I know too many agnostics to count, and of those, most I would say are codependent. Often their opinion will change depending on who they are talking to. Again, this reality can apply to many hot topics, not just my OP. Others are just not sure and I honor that stand.

I think you have mired yourself in the depths of the human psyche,...
which is not where the answer lies...(IMO)

Anyone who says : "there is a reason for everything.." is arrogant presumption...

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by coastlinekid

Anyone who says : "there is a reason for everything.." is arrogant presumption...

Oh, if only man were that deep! Take a look around. Most just eat, sleep, procreate and defecate.

There are exceptions, and the rules change with them, but not the majority. And yes, I am very confident in this.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I'm an atheist for many reasons. Some of these reasons are listed below, though this is only the tip of the iceberg. Also, most of these reasons are directed towards Christianity, as this is the religion I know the most about.

1) Religions base their belief on faith and emotions due to a lack of proof. Emotions are highly blinding and illogical.

2) If God created us, he created us to use logic. If we use logic, we require proof. God (having infinite wisdom) would have known this, and thus altered the way our mind works, or provided proof. Neither is true therefor, either a) God wants a percentage of us to not believe and burn in Hell or b) God does not exist. If 'a)' is true, then God is a lier, as he states in the Bible that he is a loving God.

3) A being of infinite wisdom and knowledge would not create anything, as that would be illogical. It's like saying a being that encompasses negative infinity to positive infinity creates the number 2. Why? He already encompasses all and there can be no more.

4) Many who believe in a god also say that they have "felt" their god and "can't describe it". When I was a kid, I believed there were monsters under my bed. The more I focused on them, the more they became real. I 'felt' them there. Even though I couldn't describe it in words, I knew they were there. Turns out I was wrong.

5) If any god did exist, he/she would see all the religions in the world and know that what you believe in is determined by where you live 95% of the time. If you're born in China, and the Christian God is correct, then you're screwed. If you're born in America, and Buddhism is correct, then you're screwed. This makes god a racist.

6) A belief in a god is an attempt to explain the unknown. The more we find out about our universe the less reason we have to believe in a god. To the people who lived ages ago and knew next to nothing about the universe, creating a deity was the only thing that made sense. Even if you believe in a god, you cannot deny that human psychology plays a major role in why we have so many religions today.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25 >>

join