It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Atheists...Atheists?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

Why you received stars for your irrational and inapllicable post can only be a result of the common illogical religious harlots throughtlessly rallying around one another. Like drunkened babboons banging their chests and flaring their teeth, patting each other on the back not realizing that they have spikes in their palms. They're not following the discussion we're having, they're just giving stars essentially because you say "God". But these stars mean nothing to me anyway. Just an observation.

Everything is not only God (everything can only be the universe) and everything is not ruled only by God. You're clearly a mindless fanatic on a rampage. Stop and think.

Oh, you've noticed this eh? There seems to be a problem with this set, hence my admonitions to one of them! It seems I was right on at the beginning of my OP.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mrfreehugs

I wish to add my thought is on this subject matter. First off I wish to say that I am not an atheist. I am a christian. I believe in God and that Jesus Christ is the Way. I strongly disagree with religion. Religion and Believing in God are not the same thing. I have been victimized by religion and see it as more harmful than good. I can understand why people stop believing in God due to the throwing out religion. Although I do not agree with doing that. I have seen too much to deny the existence of God. I have seen things and experienced things that cannot be explained in the earthly realms as of yet.

Thank you for your response! I so agree with what you said. I am not religious as you probably already know but I used to be Christian. I choose to not be labeled any longer. Spiritual is enough for me.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MatrixProphet

Wow - never been referred to as a harlot, even by association, at least not since hmmm.....1970
I must be doing something right....yeehaw!!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by realshanti

I'm missing something here! Please tell me!

Hey, how many points for the religious fanatics and for the atheists? Should we be keeping score? What's more - how many points are they actually making for Jesus right now, oh boy, what examples of love!

I already have one on ignore from now on, and I may be adding to my list! It so reminds me of why I left religion, and I thank my bloomin' stars!

[edit on 26-5-2008 by MatrixProphet]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MatrixProphet

Nah, no need to keep score - I think everyone takes things a bit too to heart - I'm having fun....ergo laugh icons....rampaging harlots - you gotta admit - thats very picturesque, even tho I think that poster's arguments were complete BS...I may appropriate that phrase for future use somewhere.....

Remember - irreverence is your birthright - use it liberally and often....

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet
Oh, you've noticed this eh? There seems to be a problem with this set, hence my admonitions to one of them! It seems I was right on at the beginning of my OP.

Oh most definitely *heavy sigh of relief* I'm the one carrying all the weight for us "athiests" or "intellects" in this thread.

You're right about a lot of things.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

Well.....only one of you "intellects" had the cahones and honesty to take on the question I posed.....so I wouldn't gloat too loudly - everyone gave as good as they got on this thread.... rudeness was pretty evenly distributed....among ALL.
omg we must be human beings

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by realshanti

What was your inquery? I must have missed it or it was given before I came skipping by whistling my little melodic and naturally enharmonic tune.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet
If we can end this debate over the validity or existence or non-existence of God, this would probably make a lot of us happier. You cannot disprove, or prove, the existence of a higher power! To believe either way requires faith. Agnostics believe that and so don’t take a stand either way. My husband calls agnostics: codependent atheists. But that is another story.

To be perfectly honest that whole paragraph is ONE big paragraph of contrediction.

i'd have to say if you dont beleive in a religion, mind your own buissness, and if your trying to prove the existence or none existence of god its pointless becuase god is real, because we make such a big fuss about god he/she is made real.

i am an athiest and i beleive in god, i just dont follow a religion.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I'm tired of atheists claiming that atheism doesn't represent anything but "not believing in God". It's not true by the law of the land. Just in case you were unaware....

Court rules atheism a religion

Decides 1st Amendment protects prison inmate's right to start study group

Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being," the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said.

The court decided the inmate's First Amendment rights were violated because the prison refused to allow him to create a study group for atheists.

Brian Fahling, senior trial attorney for the American Family Association Center for Law & Policy, called the court's ruling "a sort of Alice in Wonderland jurisprudence."

"Up is down, and atheism, the antithesis of religion, is religion," said Fahling.
www.worldnetdaily.com...

BTW I'm not a religious fanatic ~ I am a God fanatic or Jesus freak take your pick. After all in light of eternity none of this other stuff is going to matter very much

[edit on 5/27/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Well Fahling needs to take a course in etymology. Atheism is the antithesis of theism, not religion.

Atheism simply and clearly states, even through it's very WORD that it is a disbelief in God or God like dieties.

Look; monotheism, polytheism, athiesm. See?

I've experienced some ignorant minds here on ATS, but you've gotta be quickly climbing your way up to the top.

What Fahling says doesn't matter, it is wholly irrelevent and unscholastic, uneducated and an academic disidence.

I am not a religion and I subscribe to no religion. I believe in no God.

I easily call myself Athiest for simplicities of your understanding pleasure.

I can call myself nothing if you'd like, but I'm still athiest either way.

I don't persue my athiesm with cause or devotion. It simply is the way it is. I don't have a set of beliefs and guidelines by which my athiesm works. It only expresses that I do not believe in a creator, especially that of the catholic and christian churches, among others such as Islam etc.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Seriously people wtf

Atheism is not a belief system, if being an atheist is being in a religion then simply not believing in Zeus is being religious. How does not believing in something make it a religion?

[edit on 27-5-2008 by andre18]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
I am an atheist.

There is no God, never has been and never will be! .............................................................................................................................................I'm still here! LOL

[edit on 23-5-2008 by goose]

So am I!

Since the quesion was asked. I am an atheist because I don't beleive in God that being the definition of an atheist. The reason I don't believe in God is exactly the same as why I don't believe in pixies, fairies etc etc They are figments of peoples imaginations. Granted some people need a crutch to get through life and that crutch is God. Fine carry on if it makes you feel better I have no argument with that. However, I get agitated when those that believe do not accept my non belief and try to make out that I am immoral or even worse evil.

As for all those things that Humans can't yet explain, so what!! Unless you believe that the book of physics is complete then there is clearly many things yet to be learnt. Inventing God to explain them because you don't have patience to wait for an explanation or are simply too arrogant to say "I don't know, yet" is ridiculous.

So to summarise : I am athiest because I don't need a mythical creature as a crutch, I accept that there are things humans have not yet learnt and I am not afraid of death. We all die live with it!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Denial is not a river in Africa

Sorry the highest court in the land has ruled you incorrect. So start referring to yourselves as religious because that's the way the Law and everyone else sees you. Just say you have faith in.... well -- nothingness and meaninglessness -- I guess. Nice religion you got there. Since I can't say God bless you -- well --

Good luck with that!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Sorry the highest court in the land has ruled you incorrect.

yeah and what country is that?

That ruling doesn't have the authority over the entire world.....

So according to this BS every single person on the entire planet is religious no matter what. Even if someone is against the concept of religion they are still religious anyway…what????

en.wikipedia.org...

If there’s one thing I’m clearly not – it’s religious

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

If there’s one thing I’m clearly not – it’s religious

You have got to be kidding me Andre!! You are one of the most religious people at ATS! Lets take a look at the threads you have created...

Most Recent Threads Authored By andre18 :

When can god forgive?
The roots of creationism
Covenant theory, Jews and the Nordics
the age of accountability - killing Your Kids for Christ
Questions for Christians
Biblical Characters are Based on Egyptian Pharaohs
The conspiracy of the Catholic Church
Luke 19 verse 27 my favourite verse!
Do people who aren’t Christian deserve be tortured in hell?
What is the purpose of hell?
Do we have free will?
Is immortality selfish?

Wow Andre by the threads you have authored it sure likes you are obsessed with religion and God. Now wouldn't it be silly to spend that much time writing about something you didn't even believe in? I think deep down inside you know he is real. You are just angry and reaching out for help.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Let me get this right, because I have an interest in debating religion I must be religious – WTF…………………………………………….

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
BigWhammy, I’m going to have to set the record straight. This was my original post –

Why am I an atheist? – Because I choose not to believe in the supernatural, my beliefs are based on common sense, logic and evidence…. Three things you simply can’t have if you believe in god.

If I was a theist I’d have to believe creation is plausible, that simply can not be. If I was to believe in creation, I’d have to disregard the scientific theory.

A lot of people (mainly creationists) don’t know the difference between a scientific theory and a theory on how Big brother keeps coming back every year….

A scientific theory is a set observed related events based upon accumulated evidence, laws, hypothesis and proven facts and then agreed upon and reviewed by multiple scientists until there is a scientific consensus for such to become a theory.

Evolution is both a theory and a fact, for example the theory of gravity is both a theory and a scientific law and a fact. Another important element of the theory is that it is falsifiable, that it can be proven wrong. That is why pseudo religious dogma theories such as creation and intelligent design are not actual scientific theories and can never be because they are not falsifiable – you can not disprove ‘god did it.’

theories –
The theory of Electromagnetism
The theory of Atomics ‘
The theory of Gravity
The theory of Heliocentrism

Don’t worry, the earth going around the sun – it’s only a theory, maybe the bible’s right after all

The Bible makes no mention of the earth not going around the sun. It merely says the sun rises in the sky. Just like everyone today calls it a "sun rise" because from an earthly perspective that is what we see. So you have no point there....

Actually, the bible says

1 Chronicles 16:30: The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved.

Psalm 104:5 He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved.

You later said –

The Bible makes no claim of the age of the earth.

The bible says it took god six days to create the earth, even if god created the earth 4.5 billion year ago, it still took longer then six days for the earth to form. “a fourth day. 20 And God said, "Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures…” Even if it somehow took god 6 days to create the earth 4.5 billion years ago, the bible says on the 4th day there were already living things (contradicts reality)....

How long ago is irrelevant but the fact that it says six days means it took 6 actual days – that is a time frame…. a time frame that cannot possibly exist

No creation is pretty much scientific fact being verified from the second law of thermodynamics, Einsteins theory of General relativity, the Big Bang Theory and the Anthropic principal.

I will say this one last time: Creation is not falsifiable, meaning it is not capable of being criticized by observational reports - you can not disprove ‘god did it

even that half of Christians believe in young earth creationism. I assure you it is a very small percentage.

A very large percentage –
en.wikipedia.org...

Some adherents believe that existing evidence in the natural world today supports a strict interpretation of scriptural creation as historical fact, or that the scientific evidence supporting evolution, geological uniformitarianism, and other theories which are at odds with a literal interpretation of the Genesis creation account, are either flawed or misinterpreted.[3]

Many Young Earth creationists are active in the development of creation science, a creationist endeavor that holds that the events associated with supernatural creation can be evidenced and modelled through an interpretation of the scientific method. This has led to the establishment of a number of young Earth Creation Science organizations such as the Institute for Creation Research and the Creation Research Society. .

I admit science has directly proven God created the universe but the more they learn the more they verify the Bible account. Never the other way. For istance for 100s of years atheists insisted the universe was eternal and the creation account was wrong because of that. Then Einsteins general realativity proved the universe has to have a beginning. Science proves the Bible never - atheist lose. - get over it - God will forgive you for it.

Mr Ghost created the big bang – thus all evidence points to Mr Ghost as the creator of the universe……

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by malcr

Originally posted by goose
I am an atheist.

There is no God, never has been and never will be! .............................................................................................................................................I'm still here! LOL

[edit on 23-5-2008 by goose]

So am I!

Since the quesion was asked. I am an atheist because I don't beleive in God that being the definition of an atheist. The reason I don't believe in God is exactly the same as why I don't believe in pixies, fairies etc etc They are figments of peoples imaginations. Granted some people need a crutch to get through life and that crutch is God. Fine carry on if it makes you feel better I have no argument with that. However, I get agitated when those that believe do not accept my non belief and try to make out that I am immoral or even worse evil.

As for all those things that Humans can't yet explain, so what!! Unless you believe that the book of physics is complete then there is clearly many things yet to be learnt. Inventing God to explain them because you don't have patience to wait for an explanation or are simply too arrogant to say "I don't know, yet" is ridiculous.

So to summarise : I am athiest because I don't need a mythical creature as a crutch, I accept that there are things humans have not yet learnt and I am not afraid of death. We all die live with it!

being an athiest means you dont belong to or beleive in any religion, you can still beleive there is a god if you want, please research what your talking about before making such Bold statements.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I am so sick of atheists and there superior crapola. I think I am an agnostic leaning toward a believer. The scientific, logical, and historical evidence for God is good. I just just haven't met him yet. Well from what I have observed. Atheism is most certainly a religion and I guess a mental problem at the same time. Atheists spend as much if not more time discussing God than religious people do. It's just they are full of confusion and hatred. I saw on discovery channel that Doctors now believe that Atheism is caused by a bad childhood.

For instance did you guys even see the irony of this guys post?

Originally posted by Richard.M.J.Palmer

To be perfectly honest that whole paragraph is ONE big paragraph of contrediction.

After he accused Matrix of contradictions, he finishes off with...

Originally posted by Richard.M.J.Palmer
i am an athiest and i beleive in god, i just dont follow a religion.

Now contradiction like that takes the atheist mindset!

Obsessed with something you hate and don't belive exists now thasts mental illness.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join