It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old WW2 Pic Shows UFO, 1942

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I think this story is quite old, but havent seen this on ATS, i could be wrong.
Taken from a B-52 around Guadalcanal.
There's an interesting story behind it too.

This photo was taken by my grandfather Cecil Barthelow while on a B-52 bombing mission supporting the 1st Marines sometime before or after Guadalcanal. None of the witnesses (4 full crews of B-52s) believe this to have been any Japanese aircraft because of its speed and shape, nor any American aircraft because they could not accomplish any form of contact. This photograph had long been in a small diary and scrapbook of Cecil's, which was recently discovered on a basement bookshelf, and has not yet been subject to study or research.

I wonder if any research has been done on this, if anyone knows that would be great.

Not a typical saucer shape, almost looks like a flying turtle to me.

What do you think?

Link.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
If i'm not mistaken, the B-52 was not put into service until 1952.
Possibly a different type of aircraft?

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
You are correct, thanks for pointing that out.

First flown in 1952, the B-52 is expected to be in service until the 1990s and perhaps even longer. By historical analogy the 1905 Wright Flyer would have been fighting over Berlin in 1945, a 1918 Spad XIII would have defended NATO in 1958, a 1927 Keystone bomber would have operated in Vietnam, or a 1942 Martin Maryland would be pulling SAC alert duty today.

Source.

The B-26 first flew on November 29, 1940, and the Army Air Corps accepted it into operational service on February 8, 1941

Source.

Maybe it was a B-26, although why they would get it wrong i dont know.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Forgive me for my ignorance but It looks like a Turtle swimming the sea
Flying Turtle maybe? Seriously I don't know what to make of that picture. I suppose it could be anything. I'm sure this picture as probably been covered in the past. Maybe one of our more knowledgeable members can help you out.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Unfortunately, my work monitor is pretty dark, so will have to check it later, but the pic looks vaguely familiar...

Given the area and timeframe, it was likely either a B-17 or a B-24 that did the sighting. The B-24 quickly replaced the B-17 in the Pacific due to better range.... For some reason, many often seem to confuse the B-17 and B-52 bombers (maybe because both served as backbones for the bomber wings of the times), but they're incredibly different planes.

The B-26 was mostly in the European and Mediterranean theatre in that timeframe, so unlikely it was the plane involved, though not impossible.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Well it must be Gamara! hehe. I love these old photos showing UFOs. Well, to me it looks like a crab.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Unfortunately, my work monitor is pretty dark, so will have to check it later, but the pic looks vaguely familiar...

Thanks for that, i appreciate it.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Denied

Maybe it was a B-26, although why they would get it wrong i dont know.

Maybe there were 2 of them? (2 x 26 = 52)

Sorry.... flippant answer... it's friday though

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Denied

im new to this site, i live on the island of quadalcanal, right next to the henderson airstrip where these ww2 planes operated from, i really want to see that picture but it seems i cannot open the external link for it, is there any other way i can get this picture from you?, email?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ONETOX
reply to post by Denied

im new to this site, i live on the island of quadalcanal, right next to the henderson airstrip where these ww2 planes operated from, i really want to see that picture but it seems i cannot open the external link for it, is there any other way i can get this picture from you?, email?

If you hit quote on the original post you'll see the URL. Copy and paste that into your browser.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ONETOX
reply to post by Denied

HI, ONETOX, and welcome to AboveTopSecret.com

I'll embed the image for you.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/bb0489e40c447b63.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 20/4/2009 by internos]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
interesting picture, it really doesn't look like any plane i've seen before

would like to hear what others think as well

[edit on 20-4-2009 by Darth_Prime]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
That looks absolutely nothing like a plane. I have no clue what it is. But it kind of does look like a crab. It has a shadow under it, so it's on the ground. And it looks like its near a shore. Interesting picture.

new topics

top topics

join