It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Memorial Day Salute.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Most often, my posts here are simply off the cuff with an attempt at off the wall humor. This is not one of those posts.
Memorial Day.
This is the first Memorial Day without my Dad. The first without my Pop Pop. They are both heroes to me. I miss you both. More than you'll ever know. My Dad retired Lt. Colonel US Army. He was a true man. When I was an infant in the early 60's, he was on a plane headed to Cuba to proudly do his duty. Luckily in flight the orders came to abort mission and return home. I saw my Dad little as a child, but I was lucky enough to have a Father that I got to know. He instilled in me the military mentality. As a child I was always riding on a tank or APC in the patriotic parades. I had my own little uniform when we would visit the PX. I try to follow in his footsteps. I'll never be the man he was.
Memorial Day.
Many don't understand what Memorial Day means. Many see it as a 3 day weekend. Many see it as the kickoff to the Summer.
Memorial Day.
How might I find words strong enough to say what it is that I am feeling? Why am I able to call my Commander In Chief an idiot and not have to worry about inprisonment?
Why can I climb on a train, or a plane and go wherever I want anytime I want with my biggest gripe being that I have to take my shoes off when I go through security?
Why can my child dream to be anything he wants to be when he grows up, and have a chance of achieving his goals?
Why can I go to a supermarket anytime I want and purchase the staples my family needs to survive?
Why Can I not worry about the authorities bothering me unless I deserve it, yet can call them with 3 button clicks on a phone and have them protect me in minutes?
Why can I sit here on ATS and complain about how bad everything is?

The answer is simple.

Brave men and women left their families, their homes, everything they've ever known to defend our country in a foreign land. Often times these brave heroes still had memories of their High School homerooms from last year, and acne that was still on their faces. Many longing to see their Mom and Dad back home. Many too young to be served a beer.
They stood proud. They fought. They fell. Defending YOU, and ME.

This weekend, when you are having your BBQ's and partying with your families and friends, take a moment, and recognize why you have the absolute privelidge of enjoying it. When you see the beautiful Stars and Stripes flying, recognize her for the unbelievable FREEDOM we do enjoy. And we do enjoy freedom. Remember why we have our rights, and our freedoms.

I stand proudly and salute, a tear in my eye, as I honor everyone who gave me the rights I take for granted.

Thank you all. Thank you all.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
A thought provoking post. As a veteran myself and involved in training our troops (in a small way) I think about our fallen a lot and what they mean. We have much to thank them for. Both living and passed away have given us so much.

I salute you and them.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

despiste which country one is from or what side they fight in
one has to respect one that takes a stand for their country
making an ultimate sacrafice

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

If tomorrow all the things were gone,
I’d worked for all my life.
And I had to start again,
with just my children and my wife.

I’d thank my lucky stars,
to be livin here today.
‘ Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

From the lakes of Minnesota,
to the hills of Tennessee.
Across the plains of Texas,
From sea to shining sea.

From Detroit down to Houston,
and New York to L.A.
Well there's pride in every American heart,
and its time we stand and say.

That I’m proud to be an American,

And I gladly stand up,
God bless the USA.

And I’m proud to be and American,

And I gladly stand up,
God bless the USA.

Artist: Lee Greenwood
Title: Proud To Be An American

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I've lost relatives who were veterans, some more recently than others. They'll always be rembered. And though, I wasn't there first hand, i've heard enough of the wars to be aware.

I too salute the men and women who served for a country, and to the ones who fought against our country.

Good post Lomb!

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
My respect goes out to any American service personal who have fallen in battle or served in differnt conflicts . Lest We Forgot .

new topics

top topics

join