It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do they know?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sometimes things happen that make me wonder who's spying on me.

For example, the other day I got a catalogue which I had never heard of; it was a punker catalogue. How would they know that I listen to some punk music unless they have been tracking my CD purchases?

My grandma's family is Jewish, and my family constantly gets stuff in the mail begging for money for this Jewish cause or that one. Some of it even says, "With the help people of Jewish ancestry like you . . . " How do they know this? My family always claims ourselves as white Christians on census forms and such, so how are they finding this stuff out?

It makes me wonder if people are spying on me. *Jumps in bed and hides under blanket*

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
because every form you fill out....ever...thta has simple questions on it, is immediately subjected to..."the beast"

HAHAHHA anybody heard that from king of the hill?

i guess its funnier if youre in texas.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
it may also be a family member giving out you name and adress. not knowing there doing it

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
whats ur last name? if its levy, they might no...
peopel fill out cards, if u or a relative ever donated, theyll have u. my grandparents did a few years back, i still get calls.

as to magazines, well, if u ever filled anythign out, gave ur name on any survey, or signed up for a nother magazine they are affiliated with, then theyve got it.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
have you ever ordered a cd from a company who sells punk cds? if so they probably sold your address along with 1000's of others. same deal with the jewish thing, if you have ever donated to some kind of jewish organization, your address could be sold to another ogranization/group/company. i get stuff all the time i never signed up for with fake company names i've used it the past when buying certain things.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
they go by the community you live in, last name, credit card purchases, and as Amorymeltzer said it could be that someone is giving away without knowing it.

i live in detroit, and as almost anyone knows detroit is basically all african american. i'm white. all the ads in our newspaper, mail, and thrown on the doorstep all feature african american clothing, styles, trends, and models. they don't actually know anything aout you, they're just going by assumptions.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Could be spy-ware and ad-ware on your computer.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I've never donated to anything, my last name is not Levy, I've never ordered any punk CD's from catalogues.

But my grandma might have donated money, and I sometimes pay for CD's with a debit card, which has all kinds of information on it. That's probably where they got my address from.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiohazardMouse
Sometimes things happen that make me wonder who's spying on me.

My grandma's family is Jewish, and my family constantly gets stuff in the mail begging for money for this Jewish cause or that one. Some of it even says, "With the help people of Jewish ancestry like you . . . " How do they know this? My family always claims ourselves as white Christians on census forms and such, so how are they finding this stuff out?

It makes me wonder if people are spying on me. *Jumps in bed and hides under blanket*
Have you ever heard of the ADL? This organization could possibly have major files on people who call themselves "Jews".

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I was filling out this survey at school and now some company is sending me magazines which I don't recall signing up for.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Dec' 02, I rang and reserved 2 tickets to a James Taylor concert.
No credit card, no e-mail just my surname and mobile ph #.
I picked up the tickets the next day paying cash. Two days
later i get an email asking if i wanted to buy some J.T. DVD'S!
Before u ask, my email and mobile are with different companies,
and the mobile account isn't even in my name

top topics

join