It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why No Entry For ATS On WikiPedia?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
As part of the research for drafting a Wikipedia entry for ATS, I've found the old Wikipedia entry entitled "Abovetopsecret.com", i.e. the one that was deleted for the reasons I cited above regarding a perceived failure to satisfy Wikipedia's "notability" requirement.

(In short, those requirements were not satisfied due to the failure to cite independent sources supporting the claims made by ATS regarding levels of membership etc).

The old Wikipedia entry failed to cite any external sources. Furthermore, it was not written from a neutral viewpoint (which is another of Wikipedia's requirements).

To show what I mean, I'll quote three of the main sections from the old entry below.

Description

Abovetopsecret.com consists of a static database of articles relating to conspiracies and has a popular forum with an online community of tens of thousands of registered users.

There are also spin-off forums including the Above Top Secret News Network (ATSNN), Belowtopsecret.com and Politics@abovetopsecret.com

From humble beginnings with only 11 members it is now a premier meeting place for people interested in conpspiracies with over 45000 members and 1.7 million posts.

The best way to experience the site is to become a member and join in. The addiction of ATS because of its 1000's of posts a day is such that many members have been there for years.

More power to a growing and vibrant community!

Website Features
ATS has many features its members can take advantage of. Such as U2Us, a personal message system. ATS points,used for purchases of custom backrounds, text color and more. Another popular feature are the avatars. Many members take advantage of this feature by creating custom avatars on photoshop. ATS also has its games where members can play for points and ATS merchandise!

Motto/Purpose

Abovetopsecret.com (ATS) is fond of stating its proud motto: Deny ignorance.

"This motto has life. It has purpose. It demands ATS members to think.

It is a state of mind.

It is a sense of purpose.

It is a statement agaisnt the paradigm.

It is a rage against the mindless status-quo.

The idea of "deny ignorance" isn't a goal that ATS hopes to accomplish. Instead, it's a challenge. A call to all those who come here to aspire to a higher state of awareness through informed discussion and debate.

Deny ignorance is what we do.

It's how we think. It's how we talk. It's how we listen.

Ignorance is the creeping crud of history that has clouded our minds and dulled our brains. Is the evil that men do, the reason history repeats, and the cause of intolerance.

We deny it. it's not welcome here. Within these boundaries, it has no strength.

Here, ignorance is denied."

All the best,

Isaac

[edit on 26-5-2008 by IsaacKoi]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi

The old Wikipedia entry failed to cite any external sources. Furthermore, it was not written from a neutral viewpoint (which is another of Wikipedia's requirements).

Isaac, when it comes to Wikipedia and the word "neutral", we are describing something that's very arbitrary and anyone can see this throughout so many Wikipedia pages on any given topic.

Hence why anything posted in Wikipedia needs to be additionally researched by the viewer to confirm and validate whatever information is posted on those pages.

PS -- at any rate, there would have to be ATS members here watching any new ATS wiki page 24/7 to remove any new statements to that page that are in error including those statements where the intention is obviously to besmirch ATS' good name.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by wang_ke_~]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by wang_ke_~
Isaac, when it comes to Wikipedia and the word "neutral", we are describing something that's very arbitrary

I wouldn't suggest otherwise. My point, to the extent I had one, is simply that the relevant article was clearly far from neutral (and, more significantly given the concern about "notability" raised in the debate concerning its deletion from Wikipedia) it didn't cite any external sources.

Basically, it is not necessary to worry about disgruntled ex-members or any conspiracy theory to understand why the old entry was deleted.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Isaac, I agree with you and only commented on that word "neutral" just to isolate it and give my .02 on it. lol

At any rate, it sounds like if any wiki ATS page goes up, it's going to have be implemented and written by the 3 Amigo's and not anyone else.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wang_ke_~
At any rate, it sounds like if any wiki ATS page goes up, it's going to have be implemented and written by the 3 Amigo's and not anyone else.

Oh, I don't think the Three Amigos would mind someone else doing a first draft.

They could always change an entry if they didn't like it.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
If we do begin a Wikipedia article about ATS, would it be possible to get a photo of the three amigos that clearly shows pointed teeth and reptilian pupils?

Im just saying, it might be good for business.....

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by wang_ke_~

If only we had the time to do such things...
We have no objections to a solid member writing up a submission/article on Wikipedia and would only ask that you include the real numbers (traffic/members/page views/posts per day/posts/threads, etc... to solidify the notoriety issue.

Springer...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Couldn't you like kinda delegate it to some of the mods?
At least a group effort with the three amigos giving the final OK?

I agree with wang_ke, something like this should be started by those on high, those that have seen the site grow and go through changes.
It should also include major ATS milestones.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I've got a half-written Wiki article for ATS. It's pretty massive, and not up to date at all.
If I get the time, I might finish it off and post it in one hit, rather than having a little article that gradually gets more added to it.
It does seem unfair that a site so large as ATS does not even have it's own wiki article, considering lots of other discussion forums have them.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
reply to post by Alxandro

Make an entry yourself,thats what Wiki is about,ANYONE can make entries,hats why we can't use it at the college level.

[edit on 5/25/2008 by jkrog08]

Which is funny, because a study was recently done that concluded wikipedia is far more accurate than encyclopedia britannica. The reason is, because they have so many people editing wikipedia, many more inaccuracies can be weeded out and much more information can be contributed. Also, since so many people will edit the same article, you can be sure the author is not biased.

Where as with a standard encyclopedia, they have maybe 300 people conrtibuting and editing it, possibly all people with the same agenda and political views, on wikipedia you have MILLIONS of people editing it.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlasteR
And it would readily be vandalized and altered AGAIN.

So? Just about ever wikipedia article out there gets vandalized. That does not mean we shouldn't have one.

Just look at the article for "george bush" and see how much that gets vandalized, LOL.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
I've got a half-written Wiki article for ATS. It's pretty massive

Hi watch_the_rocks,

Mmm.

Now I'm not sure whether I should abandon the work I'd started on researching and drafting a Wikipedia entry.

On balance, I probably will abandon it since it sounds like I'm wasting my time duplicating work you have already done.

All the best,

Isaac

[edit on 29-5-2008 by IsaacKoi]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi

I've got a half-written Wiki article for ATS. It's pretty massive

Hi watch_the_rocks,

Mmm.

Now I'm not sure whether I should abandon the work I'd started on researching and drafting a Wikipedia entry.

On balance, I probably will abandon it since it sounds like I'm wasting my time duplicating work you have already done.

All the best,

Isaac

[edit on 29-5-2008 by IsaacKoi]

Why not combine your efforts?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Why not combine your efforts?

Fine with me.

How?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Since it sounds like yours (Isaac) is more recent (an assumption on my part indeed) why don't you post yours, then WTR can add the older stuff he has to it.

That's the beauty of the Wiki, eternal editing options.

Springer...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I reckon it would be way better to get it looking all spiff, then post it up on wikipedia. It will make it easier right from the start to weed out vandalism, for one.
But I'm happy to combine efforts, if I can find that .txt file

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Question: Does the writeup include the history on how the idea for ATS originally came about?
I'd be interested in knowing about the events that sparked the idea to start the site.

Also, photos of the first ATS server used, hardware specs, RAM, CPU plus any events that occured when the site first went live.

Who was the first visitor? Are they still a member?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I reckon it would be way better to get it looking all spiff, then post it up on wikipedia. It will make it easier right from the start to weed out vandalism, for one.
But I'm happy to combine efforts, if I can find that .txt file

I will gladly keep an eye on the Wiki ATS page for vandalism, once it's up. Will notify this board when any changes have been made to the original text and this includes any unauthorized new additions to that page.

Needless to say, the monitoring of this wiki page will have to be a collaborative 24/7 effort of many sincere loyal members of this forum who are truly passionate about ATS' mission and purpose; I for one am one of em!

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Do a search through the ATS MIX forums and look for the podcast interview Dave Rabbot did with Simon, S.O. and I for your answers mate.

Springer...

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Just wondering if anything ever came of this.

Still don't see anything on the Wiki that describes what ATS truly is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join