It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China official: Taiwan relations better

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
China official: Taiwan relations better

Thu May 22, 5:33 AM ET

BEIJING - In China's first public response to the inauguration of Taiwan's new president, a Chinese official praised improved cross-strait relations Thursday and urged advocates of the island's formal independence to follow what he called the "correct path."
ADVERTISEMENT

Chen Yunlin, director of the Taiwan Work Office of the Chinese Communist Party Central Committee, said in a speech Thursday that peaceful development across the Taiwan Strait is "the common wish and mutual benefit of people both in China's mainland and Taiwan."

Chen also praised the "selfless assistance" from Taiwan since China's deadly earthquake May 12, saying it shows that "blood is thicker than water."
------------------------------------
that's a very good sign,something really positive that hasnt been seen for a decade,i prefer peaceful reunification.using force should be not an option,brothers dont kill each other.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
why do so many Chinese want reunification... whats wrong with just a peaceful relationship with independence.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
cause taiwan has been always part of chinese territory,people there are the same chinese people.their official name is republic of china.the current seperation was cause by chinese civil war 50 years ago after the second world war.just like amercian civil war,after that,the whole country should be reunited,northern and southern parts of the states now are one country.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
learn more about chinese history and you will see china has every right to have taiwan back,and almost all the governments around the world recognize taiwan is part of china,including the united states.and taiwan was ousted from UN in 1971 the UN assembly.and UN ever since declared the people's republic of china is the only lawful government to represent china.the bitter civil war should not be the reason for a forever separation of the country.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
my understating is that the Han Chinese settled in Taiwan in or around 1200ad and at this time the Taiwanese aboriginals were the inhabitants of the island... so the first people who claimed Taiwan should have the highest right... not the Chinese government.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
yes,gaoshan people are still some but very very few now.much less than amrican aboriginal people ,american indians.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by haidian

yeah and imagine what would happen if the communist Chinese party took control... the number would dwindle below that of American Indians.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
china dosent have a history of slaughtering aboriginal people,we never did,it's not part of chinese mentality.at least hasnt happened so far in chinese hisory,but chinese culture is very strong ,very often the case it merged so many small other racial groups cause they accepted chinese culture and became part of chinese people.you dont think the one fifths population of the whole world all came from the same ancesters,right.dna analysis shows great variety of han chinese in china.so in china wo know,chinese is more of a culture concept.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
china has preferential treatment to the minorities.as we know china has one child policy,but that policy doesnt apply to minorities. the population of all chinese minoritie groups more than tripled in last fifty years.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by haidian

pfft yeah the whole countries population probably tripled

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemonkey

Actually was about to leave this thread alone, untill someone when scrolling I saw this statement of yours.

There is a reason why in China there are 56 ethinicities. Fine, the Han Chinese are in the absolute majority, like the Hans are the aboslute biggest ethincity in the whole world. What can I say besides that our ancestors probably love pro-creating much more than anyone else.

The case is that if you do more research on why there are still 56 ethnicities (nationalities), you might understand why. I have discussed this at least one time intensively in ATS. You can check this thread out, and start with this thread.
Thorughout those 1 or 2 pages we had made more posts adressing the minority topic in China.

[edit on 23/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

links need fixin.

and besides your both missing the point... the rightful owners of the land should be the indigenous people... but the rightfulness of their ownership is only in comparison to the mainland Chinese.

[edit on 23-5-2008 by purplemonkey]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemonkey

No, I was not discussing your point of ownership. I am commenting on your implication that the CCP (Mainly ran by Han Chinese) is a regime committing racial genocide on her own population and would exterminate the Gaoshan Chinese, like the colonists had done to the American Indians. So I am merely debunking the miss-conception and general Western idea that minorities in China are being treated badly and even being exterminated.

by purplemonkey
yeah and imagine what would happen if the communist Chinese party took control... the number would dwindle below that of American Indians.

Or is my English proficiency again so bad that I miss-understand that statement of yours?

EDIT: Link fixed.

[edit on 23/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
China has made more than several comments over the years that it would not allow a separatist president or even consider a vote for this as it would be considered very aggressive. I don't think they ever used the term "an act of war", even though it has been interpreted that way by several US presidential administrations.

The problem was, China could and did lob some rockets over Taiwan just as a show of strength, but had no means to place troops on the ground other than by parachute, then seizing landing areas for planes and helicopters. It would be folly on their part to try this type of attack, we knew it, they knew it; it was called peace.

China has undergone a fairly rapid build up of ships including amphibious craft for large scale troop deployment. Realistically, Taiwan has about 5 to 7 years left before China can do something and the USA would not be able to respond quick enough.

Both countries, yes I said country for Taiwan, will have to address this at some point in the very near future. It can go very well, as Hong Kong has turned out for the most part, or, very bad.

China has embraced more of a Taiwanese form of economy, while remaining what we will call communistic. Taiwan has remained a democracy within several families of leaders with a very strong economy for decades. It will be an economic agreement other than political, IMHO, that joins these 2 nations.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

the comment was only made because of rumors i have heard of Chinese police intentionally de-populating parts of Tibet... but i probably shouldn't have made the comment because i never followed up on that rumor...

On the idea that minorities in china are/have be treated fairly this is probably true... but you have to realise that European colonists met natives from completely different societies, morals, language, skin colour ect.. and it would have led to mis understandings, sense of superiority (on the European side) and therefore poorer treatment of these people...

On the other hand the Chinese minorities share a similar appearance and possibly language and culture (not to sure how similar native language was to the majority language)... anyway it would have been easier to get along and communicate because of these similarities..

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Taiwan to cut military numbers by 70,000

Taipei - Taiwan's new Defence Minister Chen Chao-min Wednesday said he plans to reduce the number of the island's military personnel from the current 270,000 to 200,000. "The ministry will fully review various branches of the military in line with its streamlining programme," he said in a parliament meeting aired by the cable news channel ETTV.

On his first working day after he was sworn in to his post Tuesday, Chen told parliamentarians that the streamlining would include all ranks of military personnel, not just low-ranking soldiers.

Chen did not give a timetable for the troop reductions. He said Taiwan would continue with its push to buy F-16 fighters jets from the US and would review its policy to purchase US submarines.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
this is sort of an unrelated question but does Taiwan have any advanced US military hardware... because if china reunified with Taiwan no doubt the Chinese would look at the hardware and possibly make variation built on the tech... would America want this stuff to be secret enough that they would intervene... or is it nothing china could gets its hands on anyway?

[edit on 23-5-2008 by purplemonkey]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Taiwan's best fighter is F-16 (block 20?). Taiwan also bought several kidd class warships (made in 1950s?). The best thing China can get probably is the patriot SAM, still very early version. I am not a military fan BTW, to my knowledge, Taiwan doesn't have any US hardware with technology in recent 20 years.

Originally posted by purplemonkey

the comment was only made because of rumors i have heard of Chinese police intentionally de-populating parts of Tibet...

The population of Tibetan has increased more than three times since 1950. Additionally, China's one child policy is not for minority. The minority population growth rate is seven times more than that of majority Han Chinese.

Use google, you can find a handful of references based on research from western world.
www.case.edu...

Tibet: The Truth (A Political History)

top topics

join