It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Bank Tapes May Expose Millions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Lost Bank Tapes May Expose Millions

mone y.aol.com

HARTFORD, Conn. (May 21) - The bank told the state that a box with back-up bank tapes were lost in February from a truck that transports and stores tapes in its storage facility, Blumenthal said. The tapes contained Social Security numbers, names and addresses and possibly bank account numbers and balances, he said.

"This security breach seems highly dangerous, indeed possibly devastating in light of the identity theft threat," Blumenthal wrote to Stephen Dolmatch, general counsel of Bank of New York Mellon Shareowner Services.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/22/2008 by Jessicamsa]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
How does a bank lose millions of pieces of information about its customers and have no idea where it is? Is this an inside job or what?

mone y.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
this isent by far the first time something like this happend. its happened quite a few times in the past. the real conspiracy angle is the possibility that the tapes werent lost but rather sold.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by krill
this isent by far the first time something like this happend. its happened quite a few times in the past. the real conspiracy angle is the possibility that the tapes werent lost but rather sold.

I agree that they were unlikely to have been lost. This is totally shady. Banks are very unsafe/unstable more and more these days it seems.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
While I was a video store manager I had access to hundreds of thousands of credit card numbers, along with other important information, and including the cardholder's signature.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
While I was a video store manager I had access to hundreds of thousands of credit card numbers, along with other important information, and including the cardholder's signature.

But banks have much higher security. I work for a bank as a computer programmer and the security is so high that even the programmers are not allowed access to sensitive data.

top topics

join