It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Shermer STUMPED by Astrology (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Excellent video.

I know Shermer set out to debunk Astrology, but he got stumped along the way.

The conditions he set for this study does not allow for cheating.

9 blind readings with an accuracy rate of 77%.

This video is PRICELESS LOL!! It's like the astrologer said at the end, it's about reason over belief. The skeptic will cry about this because they start of with a belief that these things can't or don't exist. This is not freethinking.

I read the excuse was Shermer lost funding for this. Of course he lost funding for this, whoever was backing the skeptic of all skeptics Shermer wanted to debunk astrology not prove it.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Michael Shermer was sweating his ass off as the readings pretty much matched each of the subjects in the test. This is fantastic, thanks for posting.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I dismissed Astrology at one point in my life. As I read and researched ancient religious culture I began to become much more interested in Astrology.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
No problem,

Shermer was trying to do a gotcha on the skeptic and this is why he switched the last 2 readings and didn't tell the Astrologer or the subjects.

He wanted to say look, astrology is so general the same readings can apply to anyone.

Shermer's face fell to the floor when he saw the low scores in the last 2 readings when he switched them..

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'm wondering how I can get a similar reading. It would be kind of cool to see a reading about myself and where I may be headed in the future. Anyone have any good links?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Wow, great video thanks for posting it!

I was on an astrology kick back in my early 20's and learned how to do it with about 50 books on the complexities of the angles of the planets etc. and tested it on a group of people I didn't know, who were in one of my college classes.

If you really study it and get into the minutia of it all, it's amazing what you can discover....not saying it's true or a "science" or anything but I remember two of the people I did in-depth readings for in my class just for fun...and I discovered some things that I wasn't sure were going to be well received, one was, an eating disorder...bulimia to be exact, showed up in one chart, and a mother of another committing suicide and an attempt at suicide by the person who's chart I did, were true as well, things I had no idea or would have had any idea about and it pretty much freaked the people out.

I stopped doing it because it takes so long to do a chart well and because it felt so intrusive to me, as if you were spying into someone's personal life.

But I always wondered why planets would have an effect on personality and events in people's lives but they sure seem to as in the video you posted!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
If you liked that video in the OP then this one will blow you away, the ending was the best. Definite jaw dropper.

Star of Bethlehem

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I think of Western astrology as just entertainment, and of course will be wrong 95% of the time or is very vague and general.

I think Eastern astrology is the REAL astrology, not the fake western type. It seems like we have so much technology in the western hemisphere, but in the eastern part of the globe, they are concerned more on the flow of energy, spirituality, and other things westerners would call paranormal.

I think the western and eastern hemispheres would be like visiting a different planet, people would know things that are very true to them and everyone around them, but in the western world, you would be called crazy. I think there is much corruption here, mostly in the US and the censorship of information.

Oh, by the way, awesome video! It's finally time for that skeptic to rethink his skepticism.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I used to just ignore astrology as it wasn't very interesting, and the readings in the newspaper were just bogus. But after reading up on Alchemy, I definetly would give astrology a chance, and not just assume it must be a false science because it's not taught in school or shown on television. The stuff that interests me is not so much to affect the planets have on a person's personality, but the measurable, repeatable affect they have on plant growth and metals.

Here is an interesting article on the mars affect, which mentions a couple other findings:

One effect that has been replicated numerous times involves the traditional correspondence between certain planets and certain metals (e.g., the Sun and gold, the Moon and silver, Mars and iron, Saturn and lead). When an aspect occurs between two planets, metal ions associated with those planets behave differently than they do when no aspect is present.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Astrology is given such a bad rep because most people think of horoscopes when they hear the word. This couldn't be further off, and almost all professional astrologers agree that sun sign readings are worthless and you need to have all your houses, aspects, conjunctions, trines, .etc read to really have a good reading.

I suggest anyone who is interested type their info in and have themselves a long read (birth time and place are super important, so if you don't have those then you may want to wait till you find your birth certificate...)
astro.cafeastrology.com...

On my chart, out of the 40 or so statements in that report, I disagree with about 5

new topics

top topics

join