It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mile Wide Tornado Hammers Colorado

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Mile Wide Tornado Hammers Colorado

www.examiner.com

WINDSOR, Colo. (Map, News) - A large tornado tore through several northern Colorado towns on Thursday, killing at least one person and flipping over tractor-trailers, toppling freight rail cars and ripping roofs off buildings.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The article states that the tornado was maybe a quarter mile wide but the evening news was saying it was a mile and from the footage shown, either way, it was huge.

Amazingly only one death is known so far.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
wow i take it it wasnt near any densely populated areas by the death toll so far however when the tornado that hit my small new mexico hometown last year happened it tore up most of clovis but only killed one person.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
It passed through a town of 16,000 about 50 miles outside of Denver.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
ah hopefully everyone is ok. do tornadoes normally occur in colorado? i know that fema and the red cross were here almost immediately after the tornado in clovis. hopefully they will do as good of a job as they did here in relief. my thoughts and prayers are with them a tornado isnt a easy thing to recover from as a community.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Hi Grover. I was going to post this, but I am being lazy and figured someone else would do it. Here is a video link from youtube about news coverage.

I don't know how many people here use youtube, but it is one of my main sources of news and I have a lot of subscriptions. My favorite is the person with the youtube user name of VOTERSTHINKdotORG (yes, the "dot" is spelled out in the name). He sends out videos from many sources- US MSM, BBC, CBC, etc.

Also, I did not know that Colorado is ranked 9th in the country for frequency of tornadoes until I looked it up.
www.disastercenter.com...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
And here I thought today was going to be a good day, actually with that few injuries and as many twisters that actually touched down during that storm we are very lucky.

I heard the first alert around 10:30 - 11:00 am'ish MST.
I went outside to look, cause that's what I do, I rely on my own judgment verses the weather guys cause of all the time I've spent in OKLA dodging those twisters and what to look for in the clouds and stuff.. you know that survival stuff?

Anyway, when I got outside today I looked up to the sky and what did I see? 4 super cells gearing up for some adventures... and most of them were North / East of where I was, except there was also one to the west which is uncommon cause usually (99% of the time) twisters drop on the East side of I-25. The most I've seen around here in a long time.

I live aprox 25 Miles North of Denver and about 10 Miles West, really close to Longs Peak...

So then after a few tornadoes touched down today.. yes a few, not just 1 up in Milken area, the storm shifted and started heading backwards. it was heading SE then started back NW... kinda like to say thanks, would you like some more? (when in the winter this happens we get A LOT of Snow).

But ya, it was an eventful day, I'm happy to hear that very very few people were hurt, more hail damage to a lot of people's cars at home (from people talking at work), as most live on the East side cause it's a bit cheaper out there.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Winds were whipping all day. Tornadoes aren't foreign to Colorado, the eastern plains are considered part of tornado alley. I have seen a few touch ground, luckily they have been far enough to view comfortably.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
In my humble opinion I think they will soon need to revise the F scale to delineate tornadic events. Global warming will see to increasing and more violent storms. Just my two cow cookies as always.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Huh, I grew up in Loveland, CO, just a few minutes away from where this tornado hit.

Tornadoes are not something you worry about, or even think about being that close to the foothills of the Rockies. This is very odd weather.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Back in 1989 we had a slew of them pop out of the sky all through the Denver Metro area.. that was something to see, I was at work in Arvada up on a hill and could see downtown Denver really well and the southern part of Broadway... I sooo wish I had a camera then to take a picture I can still see it in my mind though. There were multiple on the ground at the same time... this was when I was running lights and sound for the Chuck Mangione show. It's really not as uncommon as we think it is. It's just not as much as most of the tornado belt lives up to.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
Huh, I grew up in Loveland, CO, just a few minutes away from where this tornado hit.

Tornadoes are not something you worry about, or even think about being that close to the foothills of the Rockies. This is very odd weather.

But for the most part this is true, cause by the time the clouds form they are out to the middle of the plains due to the high winds coming off the front range 14'ers.

new topics

top topics

join