It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas seizure of polygamist-sect kids thrown out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Texas seizure of polygamist-sect kids thrown out

news.yahoo.com

SAN ANGELO, Texas - A Texas appeals court said Thursday that the state had no right to take more than 400 children from a polygamist sect\'s ranch, a ruling that could unravel one of the biggest child-custody cases in U.S. history.

The Third Court of Appeals in Austin ruled that the state offered \"legally and factually insufficient\" grounds for the \"extreme\" measure of removing all children from the ranch, from babies to teenagers.

The state never provided evidence that the children were in any immediate danger, the only grounds in Texas law for taking children from their parents without court approval, the appeals court said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I am happy to hear this. I have felt really bad for those poor mothers.

EDIT -- Apologizes, there is already a thread on this topic here, I searched but did not see it before:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

(Mods please delete this thread or move it as you see fit.)

[edit on 22-5-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I think it's great too. It was an outrageous over-reaching of authority and a breach of these people's civil rights. If CPS had a tip then they should have served a warrant on the specific individuals involved. Besides, removing all 400 plus children to foster homes is a ridiculous and dangerous way to handle it - as if they would not have been better off with their mothers! Hell, make the men leave until it's sorted out but don't traumatize the kids and separate them from their family without probable cause.

Mind you, I think it's a cult and it's not healthy. I think it's just dirty old men getting their kicks. But the way it was handled put these children at greater risk and left the door wide open for us all to be treated this way.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Smokersroom

What a sad little rhetorical tactic you have used.

In fact your, suggestion would be out of order, as implied by my post. And if officials have probable cause to believe that is occurring, then - by all means - they should investigate...but they should be required to produce evidence before taking the kids.

Happy now? Or do I need to spell my position out in more elementary terms so you can comprehend it?

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
It's good news that the seizure of those kids was wrong in the first place, but dagnabbit!
I caught the article in PostStar too late to be the first to post it as "new" news...

[edit on 23-5-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Holy crap man, for a person who has the term, "Ignorance? Denied." in his profile, you seem to be overflowing with it.

I can't even find anything on the net about men sleeping with their daughters as part of that story. Did you just make that up and present it as what was happening there, or did you just want to take an extreme low-brow attack on another member?

-------------------EDIT-----------------

Edited out offensive quote

[edit on 23-5-2008 by Tiloke]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Ongoing News Discussion...

Here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join