It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Draft Discussed in Senate!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Military Draft Discussed in Senate!

cryptogon.com

In an exchange sure to send ripples of anxiety through the all-volunteer military, the Senate’s senior defense spending member asked Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Joint Chiefs Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen if it is time to “consider reinstituting the draft.”

Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii), chairman of the Senate Appropriations defense subcommittee, asked Gates and Mullen the question he said no one wants to ask: “Is the cost of maintaining an all-volunteer force becoming unsustainable and, secondly, do we need to consider reinstituting the draft.”

Inouye cited the ever-increasing pay and benefits paid to active and reserve service members, noting that it now costs an estimated $126,000 per service member.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
And here comes the inevitable...

With the ever-greedy profiteers salivating over more Corpo, M.I.C., and Private Banker wealth generating wars, and a military that has given a whole new meaning to the definition of "stop-loss redeployments" and stretched out to the point of exhaustion fighting in these disgusting Elitists profiteering ventures, you just KNEW this was going to come up.

They are going to need fresh pawns to generate more of their power and wealth grabs, and they're running out of enough bodies to further these grotesqueries!

Pay attention to this...It may well be the final straw.

This marks the first time a senior member of Congress has seriously discussed reinstituting the draft in almost two years. Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-NY), chairman of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee, called for reinstituting the draft in November 2006.

Tuesday’s discussion occurred during debate over the pending $70 billion emergency supplemental spending bill. Senate Majority Leader Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Tuesday that the bill was unlikely to move before Labor Day, requiring a one month extension of war spending.

cryptogon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-5-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It's about time.

What I mean is you thnk there's dissention now, wait till they institute a draft. Right now it can be said "well, those soldiers volunteered for the army". Wait till that excuse can't be made anymore.

I believe this is the only way we are going to stop this war. Start marching people by gunpoint to their death and it will backfire IMO.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

True. But it saddens me to think of how many are going to lose their lives to turn this around. But we'll have no choice. The greed-mongers are painting the little people into a corner.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
The greed-mongers are painting the little people into a corner.

My hope is that it will wake those people up though. When is America going to realize that we are suppossed to run the shots? Not the elite who send us to die for them to get richer.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Those who vote in favor of the draft will be committing political suicide. Even when not many were suspicous of the motives behind the Iraq war there was no support for the draft. Now that people have seen the sons daughters of the middle class and poor come home in body bags while a few people become outrageously wealthy as a result of the war there is no support for a draft.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I've thought all along that a draft is coming. So many people will say that there is NO way there is going to be a draft. But you can't keep sending the same people back again and again to fight. At some point you have to make the decision to either stop fighting or institute a draft.
The Russians took 10 years to finally realize they couldn't ever win in Afghanistan. How long will the West take? It's already been 7.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Well with recruitment rates at an all-time low and around 20,000 odd vacancies in the military due all those poor, misguided souls who are now no longer part of this Earth or are permanently scarred thanks to the Republican's 'revenue-hunt'... this comes as something natural.

I have a feeling this could stir a sh*tstorm of epic proportions if they seriously consider enforcing a draft. It would be like the 1960's and 1970's only about 10 times worse I'd say.

Only then will the Shadow Gov. realise it needs to back off a little and stop treating the general public as expendable, ATM machines.

I hope this nonsense doesn't come Australia's way, we're in a similiar position, our recruitment rates are so low the Army is offering cash incentives to join and since our PM can't seem to get enough of Bush's orders, who knows we could be following the US into even more quagmires in the future.

Sad times people, sad times...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
They can draft all the college aged republicans they want. Let them see the effects of war firsthand. Then they can draft all the college aged kids of the politicians who have supported getting into an unjust war with another nation... let their kids go a fight for mom or dad's ideals. They could also draft the kids of the war profiteers and stockholders... that would be fine with me. Let them put their children's lives at risk... they want war so bad... send their own kids. And they can be the ground force troops, up close and personal. Not officers, pilots, cushy stateside desk jobs... right out there where they are sending our children.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This doesn't mean a draft is coming. They have been talking about a draft for years. Old Maddog Charlie Rangel brings it up any chance he gets. Its just not going to happen. As someone else said it would be political suicide. They'll bug out of Baghdad Hanoi-style before it comes to that.

Also, I don't think Generation Y would willingly go, and if they did, the Army probably wouldn't want them anyway, what with every one of 'em being 'special little snowflakes' and all.

The draft really only worked because there always had been conscription. It was just accepted as what had to be done. Now that we've had a generation or 2 grow up without that expectation looming in the background, I think most kids would just do the jail time. And if it came to that, there would be no jail time because there wouldn't be enough jails.

Its pretty much a non-issue.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ldunquist

You know, not long ago, I would probably have agreed, but I'm not so sure anymore, particularly with the way things have been going here domestically. Things are starting to look increasingly like we are becoming a fascist police state, and the in-your-face agendas of the war-mongers and their ever-complicitory arm, the media seems to be almost "obsession-like", as if it is their number 1 priority, to achieve these conflicts and keep the chaos-driven power and wealth grabs firmly in place, no matter what. They have been beating the drums on Iran with a fury parallel to the lie-brigade that marched us into Iraq. If it goes through, I don't know how else they could even BEGIN to fight it on a ground level without something drastic taking place to increase troops. Because once they bomb, that will DEFINITELY not be the end of it.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I'm not to surprised by this. I'm almost positive we're going that this " war " we're in right now is going to expand into Iran. With less people signing-up and more armed service members retiring and not re-signing, we are left with one option basically, Bring the draft back so we can continue on with this " war ". I could be wrong in this assumption, but from what I've seen lately it's looking more and more likely that we'll be paying Iran a visit here in the near future.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
"They have been beating the drums on Iran with a fury parallel to the lie-brigade that marched us into Iraq."

See, I'm not at all worried about Iran. I think they will bleat and bleat about it but in the end we just won't have the troops to go in there. Bombing them will do little good without the troops. At this point, just to fire up the draft machine and start churning out conscripts it would take longer than the Bush Administration has in office. And I just don't believe Obama and a Democratic legislature will go into Iran at all, let alone linger on in Iraq. So unless he suspends the elections, which I think is improbable, or lights Iran's fuse in his last couple months and Obama can't blow it out, I just don't see a draftable conflict evolving in the greater middle east. In the event that happens, I see more world-wide support for Obama in Iran than there would be for Bush in Iran anyway, so a draft might not even be necessary.

I'm more worried about Colombia/Venezuela, personally. I could see a draft spin up over that easily. And remember, they have oil too. And Obama wouldn't necessarily be that much against cashing in on America's latent anti-communist sensibilities.

Time will tell I guess.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I would welcome the draft if it were only for Liberals and democrat senators.............

Oh and all major media..............

A one day boot camp then off to the war............oh and no bullets

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Quote:

"Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-NY), chairman of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee, called for reinstituting the draft in November 2006."

November 2006? Opps. Bit behind the times.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by yankeerose
They can draft all the college aged republicans they want. Let them see the effects of war firsthand. Then they can draft all the college aged kids of the politicians who have supported getting into an unjust war with another nation... let their kids go a fight for mom or dad's ideals. They could also draft the kids of the war profiteers and stockholders... that would be fine with me. Let them put their children's lives at risk... they want war so bad... send their own kids. And they can be the ground force troops, up close and personal. Not officers, pilots, cushy stateside desk jobs... right out there where they are sending our children.

What? Just Republican's kids, huh? Like Democrats somehow aren't responsible for anything?

I guess that following your logic, Chelsea can be drafted for Bosnia, since her daddy got us involved in that?

But I do agree with you on some things. If they do ever reinstate the draft, everyone goes. There was a story that was out in the 1970s titled, "What did you do in the class war, Daddy". A bus load of kids from Harvard arrived at the induction center with stacks of medical records keeping them from going to Vietnam. Most of the blue collar kids got drafted.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Jericho-That was referring to the last time they mentioned it prior to this latest discussion, which was just this week.

What do you think? If Iran (and possibly Syria) starts up--Do you think they will re-institute?

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Who knows?

I think mandatory service is a good idea. Either the military or some sort of community service if you don't want to be in the military. Better than bobbing for French Fries at Mickey D's.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
draft smaft..

The reason they don't have the numbers is all the people with mental problems like ADD and other BS disorders.

And they want to do a draft???

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Who knows?

I think mandatory service is a good idea. Either the military or some sort of community service if you don't want to be in the military. Better than bobbing for French Fries at Mickey D's.

I agree. And it will teach the young'uns that there is more to life than the rap artists portray . . . maybe it'll knock some sense into them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join