It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best place to live?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I was just curious as to everyone's opinions on the best places to live for someone like myself. I am into Libertarian political values for the most part and have a penchant for the kind of stuff that goes on here at ATS. I know that is a gross generalization, but I think most will understand what I mean. Any suggestions or questions are welcomed.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
1. A private suite at Bellevue Hospital (with broadband)
2. Your parents' attic - just cover windows and walls with tinfoil
3. Your parents' basement (as above)
4. Rent a spot to pitch a tent at James Gilliland's ranch
5. Any motel on the outskirts of town - so you can hop in the car to chase phenoms or run from big brother.
6. A cave in Yellowstone Ntl Park
7. Any small town U.S.A. where the sherrif's name ain't Bubba or Hoss.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

How about look for a county where Ron Paul won the majority of votes during that states primary. Probably a decent way to start.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I've got the small town part covered. I'd actually like to be a little closer to the "vortex" wherever that may be.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I would suggest Scandinavia, supposing of course that you do indeed mean "where" as in where in the world.

Scandinavia in general, in my experience has a very nice "free thinking spirit". Obviously this cannot apply to everyone but the openmindedness and lack of unfortunate judgment make it a really nice place for the ATS type.

On top of that, the average salary is good, the food is good (got to like fish though!), the weather is good, government bodies and welfare are efficient and the people good looking (not that that should be a major consideration :lol

The governments in general are a bit "big-brother like" but in a more positive way than in many other places.

Anyway, just my 2-cents-worth!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
You, dear sir, are a perfect candidate for the Free State Project.

So in answer to your question, New Hampshire.

Free state project

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
If you really are a "live and let live" type libertarian and you want to be closer the "vortex" just go to any city small or large. There you will find an overtaxed often dependent fat end of the bell curve with little ivory-tower fascists at the top who can't enough of telling you what to do and how to do the few things they are gracious enough to allow you to do above you and a never ending stream of addicts, vagrants and the lethargic to sponge off of you.

Then there's the constant big-brothering, the ongoing crusade to kill all small business, scapegoating and extortion of any business successful enough to be called "big business" (though there are some pretty dinky business where I am being labeled as "big" and subsequently raked over the coals by the mass-dependents) usually all under the shadow of "big-ed" making billions in interest off of its endowment and charging hundreds of thousands for the tuition of the children of the privileged who go on to bolster and support the ignorant crusade of the lowest common denominator to be supplied with unearned free material goods and board from cradle to grave from its 99.999% of the time bankrupt local government (bankrupt because of the ridiculous dependence-farming it practices).

This is every "city." Just pick one. It will put you on the front lines as it were always in a position of defense. Always attacked from all sides, above and below. You get to have your spirit drained, not always as fast as your wallet, everyday until you break down and become one of the dependents to live in ignorant bliss concerning yourself with whether or not local kids "tagging" is art and the status of Tibets independence rather than the overspending local government increasing your tax burden to fill the pockets of it's mobster special interest cronies or the fact that every afternoon for the past decade somebody you know is either mugged or killed. Because a free Tibet is far more important.

In case you haven't guessed I despise cities will every fiber in my being. I'm also libertarian to the hilt and an intense fiscal conservative. The city hates me and I hate it.

I'm moving to a podunk town in New Hampshire this weekend. I can't wait.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Thanks for the feedback all. And coincidentally, I came across that free state site earlier today. Great stuff going on there. Also, now I don't really know if I want to be on the frontlines or not. That was quite a mental image of the city I got there. -shudder- How about Australia? Don't we have some Aussies here? What's it really like down there, anyway?

new topics

top topics

join