It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secret-Positive Thinking Sucks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Ok, there has been a lot of codswallop and claptrap about "positive thinking" and particular visualising your desires and they will manifest in your life. I'm talking here The Secret, Think and Grow Rich, Cosmic ordering etc.

If it was really that simple don't you think everyone in life would be happy, contented and at peace. All their desires manifested. The universe is comprised of opposites heat/cold,night/day,light/dark,attraction/repulsion, positive/negative etc etc.

Now, if positive though attracts abundance, riches etc (as we are brainwashed to believe) negative thought will have the opposite effect. If you multiply that positive though a hundred fold is something miraculously going to manifest? No.

If positive thinking to manifest a desire works here is what I want a Kawasaki 1400GTR Diablo Black, ok, now if a hundred people on here all visualising me getting it the universe it sure to provide isnt it?..... of course not!.

Look at it this way, a plane is hurtling down a runway at speed there are a hundred extremely nervous, emotional people on board sending out mass negative thoughts about crashing, wings falling off, engines failing. They wont.
Why?
Because our thoughts are not as powerful as our imagination believes.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
absolutely right. Although there is no denying the power of positive thoughts, in books like this it's grossly overrated and overmarketed.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Yeh, how do you they explain people with contradictory thoughts?

If imagining something could make it happen I imagine a lot more 15 year old boys would have closed the deal with the cast of Baywatch...unless of course there are greater forces at work than what's in your head.

Whilst the power of thought is a massive untapped resource (i,e the so called placebo effect, which basically proves the power of belief) books like The Secret prey on the false hope of vulnerable people.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Stay away from that crap if i was you. Its rubbish and always will be. Though it is good to have a positive outlook on life.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I remember my mom telling me she bought the book but later realized and I quote:

"This book is a damn scam written for people who also believe in god. It's all false hope."

Sorry, thought it was funny. Don't mean to offend anyone, just thought I'd share that little tidbit.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
I remember my mom telling me she bought the book but later realized and I quote:

"This book is a damn scam written for people who also believe in god. It's all false hope."

That is pretty funny.

Go mom!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
i never believed it until it worked for me. Its not as easy as "thinking happy thoughts." You have to come to terms with the fact that you are attracting the bad stuff that happens to you , and thats too much to handle for most people. I got really interested when i started looking into quantum physics aspect of it all. There is solid scientific evidence to back it all up and like I said it really worked for me. It takes awhile and a lot of visualization but i had two amazing things happen to me that freaked me out and made me believe in the secret wholeheartedly.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Take a look at skyfloating's thread here if you want to really understand how reality creation works. The secret alone isn't even half of the whole equation. Core beliefs and feelings are very important to the issue. You can have all the positive thoughts you want, but if they conflict with your core beliefs about what you want, the positive thoughts will never work.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I know that logically the power of positive thinking is just that, "thinking" but perhaps there is a quantum aspect at work in the cosmos. Perhaps the Jungian principals are real. Perhaps there is some sort of majical, voodoo, alternative universes that we can tap into where conventional physics don't mean Jack.

If skepticism makes you happy, fine; all I know is that my career/money and love life has vastly improved since I have applied some majic in the overall mix.

My personal approach is urban voodoo; Healthy, fun, and good for the skin.

Currently I am working on a ritual to regrow hair in those embarassing balding spots on the top of your head.

[edit on 22-5-2008 by whaaa]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
One of the biggest problems with this is, that people want to apply these methods to improve their lives, which means they are focusing on the fact that their lives are not to their liking, a state they will keep in as until they accept and are grateful for everything in their lives, instead of labeling certain things as good and desirable, and other things as bad and undesirable.

Two things to keep in mind here:

You will never get what you want, but you will always have what you have.

This means that for things that you want, you are sending out the signal that you don't have them, to which the reply by God/The Universe/whatever is to give you more experiences in which you lack what you want.
You have to have it first, see yourself as already having or experiencing it. Not as having it sometime in the future, but now. Then (if you do not conflict this with your beliefs about reality) you will cause by your thoughts, feelings and actions that you will have exactly what it was that you desired before. You have to stop wanting it, stop desiring it and just have it. Take it for granted, and be grateful for already having it. By being grateful for it, you are sending out the signal that you already have it.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by alchemy

Now, if positive though attracts abundance, riches etc (as we are brainwashed to believe) negative thought will have the opposite effect. If you multiply that positive though a hundred fold is something miraculously going to manifest? No.

This sounds like an angry baby post. I failed, so its nothing because I am all. Yeah right get over yourself early on and life will be much easier. If you failed seek out the people who did not and replicate their methods. I know of one woman who won the lottery three times in 9 months. Depends on what you want to do with it.....

Everything about your post indicates what you are actually bringing into your life. To be specific, no they do not discuss the negative aspect and it is a certainty. When you can maintain a positive being the results will produce. I can tell you that just as many who use the positive end use the negative end though I may be the only one who would ever discuss it. Yes the other half of the story was left out to keep people from ruining themselves.

Go to the Law of Attraction thread as The Bandit inticated and find out what is wrong with You. Then it will make sense and work well.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by IllaheeWhen you can maintain a positive being the results will produce.

This is the most important part of Illahee's post IMO. Positive being on all levels, not just the intellectual level, which is what most people think that positive thinking is.

IMO you are way more than just a physical body and a mind.

[edit on 22-5-2008 by TheBandit795]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
People always want to know how effective is the mind in the balance?

It is critical to have full control of thought function allong with all aspects of the being. Decide right now that you will let all worries and care go for the next five minute and really FEEL good. All of you just for the next five minutes. Really enjoy it it only takes five minutes out of your day to let go and feel Great! Enjoy the hormones and chemicals that make you feel good just for those minutes its not too much to give up for a test. Focus your whole being on feeling happy and good!

Go the whole five minutes and soak it in.

Guess what? It kicked butt? It was your choice. Choose to feel it all day every day for the rest of your life. Its that easy. Make the choice in your head.

In this months Readers Digest on page 84 in the yellow column A test on the brain was done.

Eighty Five % of people that took an expensive new pain relieving drug experienced full pain relief. Thats full relief. Sixty one % took the cheaper no name brand and got full relief of pain. Remarkable results from any pain reliever and equal to proper doses of morphine.

All participants expensive and cheap were given a placebo.

That is the mind, only one part of the equation. When the double slit test is fully understood the key has turned the lock is off and the door just need to be opened.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

All their desires manifested.

First of all, that's an over simplification of the idea. If you listen to Jack Canfield's explanation of the law of attraction he indicates that he was given the means to achieve the goal not the goal itself. This is more to the point of the law of attraction.

The way I see the whole thing is this way: Think positively, give thanks/be thankful and your "vibe" will get right. At the worst, what happens here is that you feel better all the way around. With the vibration of your molecules in tune with gratitude you can handle almost anything.

I for one can say that this works. When I am full of gratitude I more easily forgive, I am friendlier, more open to ideas, helpful and courteous. When I am having a bad day it's like no one wants to have anything to do with me (probably because I don't want to have anything to do with them). It's almost as if I am repelling the things that are listed above.

Peace
Jimmy

[edit on 5/22/2008 by deluded]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Bandit is absolutely right -- it's not just thinking some positive thoughts (which are probably not real anyway, since you have to make an effort to do it), there's much more to manifestation.

When I still lived in Sedona, my friends called me the "Manifestation Queen"... it's a lot of practice, but at some point I got so good at it that the time span it took to manifest my thoughts shrank from months to weeks to days to hours. I also had to learn, though, that sometimes the results can be not quite what you were looking for. Be careful what you wish for... so true.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I also had to learn, though, that sometimes the results can be not quite what you were looking for. Be careful what you wish for... so true.

Worse still, the results can be exactly what you were looking for...
(Sorry: only absurd formulations - like this one - can even begin to describe it.)

There is no wish outrageous enough for it NOT to come true, if you really desire it... or you think you do - and then forget all about it.

That much I've learned.
It's a fact.

[edit on 22-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It only works if you dont abuse it. if you ask for things you NEED and deserve you will get more success than if you ask for things that are desired more due to greed or ego

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Ok, there has been a lot of codswallop and claptrap about "positive thinking" and particular visualising your desires and they will manifest in your life. I'm talking here The Secret, Think and Grow Rich, Cosmic ordering etc.

If it was really that simple don't you think everyone in life would be happy, contented and at peace. All their desires manifested. The universe is comprised of opposites heat/cold,night/day,light/dark,attraction/repulsion, positive/negative etc etc.

If positive thinking to manifest a desire works here is what I want a Kawasaki 1400GTR Diablo Black, ok, now if a hundred people on here all visualising me getting it the universe it sure to provide isnt it?..... of course not!.

Look at it this way, a plane is hurtling down a runway at speed there are a hundred extremely nervous, emotional people on board sending out mass negative thoughts about crashing, wings falling off, engines failing. They wont.
Why?
Because our thoughts are not as powerful as our imagination believes.

I know nothing of these books youve quoted.Ive read none of them.All my experiences with thought have come from me.Thoughts creating your reality depends on you not others.So that bike you want?Life itself will begin to revolve around getting that bike but you have to put all the effort in.So for example you say i really want that bike how am i going to get it?Well you can go get a second job or ask your parents for a loan or whatever.

Thoughts manifesting reality isnt a snap deal.It takes much practice and discipline to do it.I dont know about others but i find it works best when your mind is clear and free of any stress ,drugs,booze.In other words after a fight with your GF its not a good idea nor will it be good while your wasted on drugs either.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by HuntaXX
It only works if you dont abuse it. if you ask for things you NEED and deserve you will get more success than if you ask for things that are desired more due to greed or ego

Perfectly said and this is EXACTLY what happened to me!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I think this whole "movement" is very dangerous brainwashing. With any good brainwashing there is some truth in it, but the overall results are contrary to what is good for people.

If you don't have what you need, it's your own fault. You're not thinking right. You're not really applying the secret. You have not fully unlocked your potential. Blah blah blah. All this does is allows the powerful to escape any responsibility to the masses. If you're starving to death, it's not the fault of the corrupt government and mismanaged economy. It is your fault for not being grateful. What a load of horseapples.

And even better yet, you can even use this in your own family. Don't feel guilty about not helping your family when they are in need. You deserve everything you have because you appreciate it. They wouldn't really appreciate your help anyway, because if they could, they would already have what they need.

It's divide and conquer, at $49.95 a copy.

New Age or Old Nick?

<<   2  3 >>

join