It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trust drug may cure social phobia

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by greydawn
I'm sure something similar to this drug is already being sprayed from the air via chemtrails, so don't bother with a prescription. Ah, yes can't you smell it in the air?

What you're saying sounds silly, but for some reason, I totally trust you're being sincere!

This article reminded me of another nootropic: vasopressin. Seems the oxytocin mentioned in this article is quite closely related to vasopressin:

Neuropeptides vasopressin and oxytocin regulate a variety of behaviors ranging from maternal and pair bonding to aggression and fear. Their role in modulating fear responses has been widely recognized, but not yet well understood. Animal and human studies indicate the major role of the amygdala in controlling fear and anxiety. The amygdala is involved in detecting threat stimuli and linking them to defensive behaviors. This is accomplished by projections connecting the central nucleus of the amygdala (CeA) to the brain stem and to hypothalamic structures, which organize fear responses. A recent study by Huber et al(1) demonstrates that vasopressin and oxytocin modulate the excitatory inputs into the CeA in opposite manners. Therefore this finding elucidates the mechanisms through which these neuropeptides may control the expression of fear.
Source

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by applebiter
reply to post by windwaker

So...

people who are trusting are mindless idiots?

Well, I wouldn't call them mindless idiots. "Stupid" is the term I would
use. Yeah, either "Stupid" or "Morons" and after awhile I would call them
"Victims" Yeah, either "victims" or "chumps"

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of drugs that make people STUPID, c2h50h being the main culprit. First hand experience, talkin here.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This reminds me of the movie "The Perfume: The Story of Murder," where a guy created the most perfect scent, and anyone who came into the smelling range of him, was automatically on the brink of worshiping him and a saint.

So what's to stop people from hiding this in perfume, and just walking into a governor's or congress' office and demanding power?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Again, you're equating higher trust with lower intelligence. There is no evidence to suggest that exposure to this substance would impair your judgment negatively. This is actually rather fascinating, isn't it? When we project more into this story than there is, we reveal what is going on beneath the surface of our reasoning. The responses in this thread indicate, to my mind, that we have been trained to associate hostility and distrust with intelligence.

Back away from the emotion, now, and think about the implications of this.

[edit on 28-6-2008 by applebiter]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

There is no evidence to suggest that exposure to this substance would impair your judgment negatively.

"They found that people who inhaled the "love hormone" oxytocin continued to trust strangers with their money - even after they were betrayed. "

applebiter, did you even read the article? Trusting strangers with money after being betrayed isn't "impaired judgment"????

I suspect perhaps your judgment might be impaired!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

That isn't very much information, um, Whaaa. For example, did the lender give money to the same person who betrayed them, or did they trust someone else with money after having been betrayed by another?

Also, this hardly constitutes a thorough or scientific examination. There are many more factors at work in the decision to lend money, alone, much less other decisions. It would appear that there is some editorial bias on the part of the author of this article.

[edit on 28-6-2008 by applebiter]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I think I'd much rather have a social phobia than trust anyone.

Sorry if this has already been said.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfmask
Imagine if large corporations decided to secretly start spraying the stuff in the air at malls and retail stores.

Yes, we could go into any store and convince the clerks that we forgot our wallets with all our ID and money. Then we could convince them that we will be back later to pay for the merchandise.

Hmm, free stuff. I hope they start using it soon, especially in Best Buys.

Or, let me guess, all the clerks will be wearing gas masks, or given the immunity pill.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Some people seem more trustworthy than others, maybe there is something to the natural pheremone release from an individual that is comparable.
Maybe thats why some people fall for these scams that seem obvious to others.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

reply to post by windwaker

So...

people who are trusting are mindless idiots?

well I wouldn`t go as far to say MINDLESS IDIOTS.....BUT
but come on.. you wanna trust EVERYONE un-conditionally ???

I would love nothing more than that myself ...BUT... its just not
logical in this age..

it sounds like a pretty crazy drug...
mabey good for extreme cases of mental imbalance
where someone thinks everyone is out to get him.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Maya432

This is actually starting to get a little scary... not the substance, but the reaction from the rest of you posters. Everyone keeps making the same unjustified leap in logic.

No one said this substance would make you trust anyone "unconditionally". No one said that it would shut down critical thinking. Why in the world would anyone fight so strenuously over the "right" to be untrusting? The response in this thread is plainly paranoid.

I'm going to just back out of the thread now and watch from a distance. There is a psychological hot button here, and it must be a powerful one.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
the only thing drugs really do is create dependancy.
dependancy on the drug and the provider and directly the government.

take em'
love em'
need em'

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

No one said that it would shut down critical thinking.

"They found that people who inhaled the "love hormone" oxytocin continued to trust strangers with their money - even after they were betrayed. "

What a great example of critical thinking!!

I think we know who the critical thinkers are around here, and frankly applebiter, you leave something to be desired.

My bet is that you are some kind of newage cleric and wants the world
to be something it isn't. I honestly wish it was the hippie days of peace and love, but it isn't.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!!!

[edit on 28-6-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Well, you are partly right. Which part, I'll leave to you to decide.

The text of the article in too vague to be able to draw from it any meaningful inferences. Here's a little perspective:

Have you ever been ripped off by an auto mechanic or a contractor? Did you stop using auto mechanics and contractors? Have you ever been disappointed in a film? Did you stop going to the movies or renting videos? Have you ever been to a restaurant that served awful food? Did you stop going to restaurants? Have you ever had a shoe or an article of clothing self-destruct shortly after purchase? Did you stop buying clothes?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by applebiter.

The text of the article in too vague to be able to draw from it any meaningful inferences. Here's a little perspective:

Have you ever been ripped off by an auto mechanic or a contractor? Did you stop using auto mechanics and contractors? Have you ever been disappointed in a film? Did you stop going to the movies or renting videos? Have you ever been to a restaurant that served awful food? Did you stop going to restaurants? Have you ever had a shoe or an article of clothing self-destruct shortly after purchase? Did you stop buying clothes?

And here's a little perspective for you applebiter...

old #4 is so lame....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Are you saying that I'm using a straw man fallacy? You guys make me laugh. There's another one I've run across on these boards who knows a little bit about informal logical fallacies, and now he sees them everywhere. Anyway, you would probably be closer to accurate if you accused me of using "red herring" or "weak analogy".

Since you brought it up, does it occur to you that I might, just might, have a point? Logic is a tool, but like any tool it can be misapplied.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Since you brought it up, does it occur to you that I might, just might, have a point? Logic is a tool, but like any tool it can be misapplied.

Sure you might have a point. But common sense trumps logic everytime and you aren't doing a very good job of using either.

I feel that you have a religious agenda and therefore are ideologically challenged.

I know, I know #13

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

A good job of what?

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
if it has an oxy or an "x" in the name at all people suddenly put all this faith in it for some reason knowing #&@^ well that the side effects could be worse than the original condition they are taking the pill for. I don't understand it. Why are pills always the answer for everything? There is a pill for everything!!!!! And the pharmaceutical companies in America can, by law, charge whatever they want for them. Yet people willingly shell out the cash for these medications which many people become dependant on. The pharmaceutical companies are be completely fine with people becoming dependant on as many medications as possible.

That's the entire premise behind these pharma companies giving doctors bonuses for prescribing their medications...The doctor may even know that the drug isn't best or that it could have detrimental effects on a current condition. But because the pharmaceutical companies wave the money carrot in front of their eyes they willingly medicate people with drugs they don't need. Don't even get me started on medication for children..

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I thought alcohol was the cure for social phobia???

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join