It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trust drug may cure social phobia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Trust drug may cure social phobia

news.bbc.co.uk

A nasal spray which increases our trust for strangers is showing promise as a treatment for social phobia, say scientists from Zurich University.

They found that people who inhaled the "love hormone" oxytocin continued to trust strangers with their money - even after they were betrayed.

Brain scans showed the hormone lowered activity in the amygdala - a region which is overactive in social phobics.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Monarch mind Control & Post dramatic stress disorder

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Everyone around hear has heard about mind control, well this really seems to be it. A drug that can be dispersed via airosol that will make people more trusting of each other. Could be used in say interrogations, or delivered in the air conditioning of a large building. So yet again another way to be controlled by those who are in control.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Who would want it?

I mean, i wouldnt go to the doctor to ask for a drug that would make me trust people!!

Its probably something the FEDS will be using on us.

nice.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
If you suddenly find that every time you walk into an electronics store, you walk out with $10,000 worth of home electronics, with extended warranties into the next century and enough monster cable to choke a giraffe, you'll know this stuff has gone to production..

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Anyone else think this has MK ULTRA by stealth written all over it?

I guess it's inevitable that, as we learn more about the way our bodies work, we're going to be able to 'artificially' change the way we behave. I'm sure a lot of scientists set out on that journey with a noble purpose, but there's no question this kind of experimental treatment will get hijacked by some sick-minded freak of nature and employed for more sinister purposes.

The frightening thing about this sort of development is you can't stop it, it's easy to disseminate and you're likely oblivious to any exposure to it.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I find this interesting and somewhat perplexing (disturbing?) given that I suffer from social anxiety disorder myself, yet am already trusting of others in the extreme, often to my significant detriment.

Not all social anxiety is the result of feeling threatened by or distrustful of other people. In my case, for example, in addition to the probable neurological component, it has to do with a psychological component involving the fear of offending, hurting, disturbing, inconveniencing (etc.) others which is not proportional to people's actual or apparent emotional response to my actions or words.

I suppose within the subset of individuals having social phobias in which fear or distrust of strangers or people in general is the primary psychological factor, this might be of benefit. I certainly have a level of concern, however, about it being proposed for any sort of broader or more general treatment of social phobias of other (let alone all) sorts.

[edit on 5/22/2008 by AceWombat04]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
This is the most horrifying thread/article I have read in a while.

Sure this was intended for good, but the potential for people to abuse it is just too large.

Imagine if large corporations decided to secretly start spraying the stuff in the air at malls and retail stores.

People could steal this stuff or smuggle it to use as a new date rap drug.

Con-artist could use it to their advantage too....

The horrifying potentials go on.

This is just too unnerving for me.

[edit on 22-5-2008 by halfmask]

[edit on 22-5-2008 by halfmask]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfmask
Sure this was intended for good, but the potential for people too abuse it is just to large.

Says it all, total mind control. Maybe your untrusting of people because of what was done to you, and thats natures way of dealing with it. To be trusting of people is dangerous. Just look at how you need to trust a ref in a game of soccer. Like last night as usual the ref is all for man utd, and the other team knows it is a fix, would they use this, to make the players trust that ref again.

Nature has been developing this stuff for thousands of years,a nd its important, to mistrust people, also. Brave new world, scenario, anyone.

[edit on 5/22/2008 by andy1033]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
If you suddenly find that every time you walk into an electronics store, you walk out with $10,000 worth of home electronics, with extended warranties into the next century and enough monster cable to choke a giraffe, you'll know this stuff has gone to production..

Yeah, or if you suddenly find that a political leader responsible for deceiving the public into supporting a war of aggression, stripping civil rights, conducting warrant less surveillance, violating human rights and authorizing the use of torture, is re-elected.

oh wait...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

I mean, i wouldnt go to the doctor to ask for a drug that would make me trust people!!

Thanks to everyone who posted.
And I think some would want or ask for this drug. I do think some people who have that social disorder and who know it will want them selves to be cured.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Maybe your untrusting of people because of what was done to you, and thats natures way of dealing with it. To be trusting of people is dangerous.

I think this statement says a lot. Everyone who is reading this has to trust some one in one capacity or another. Weather is just the provider of your Internet, or if you get hurt and trust the medical authorities to patch you up. The problem is not everyone can be trusted.

I can see where social disorders will arise in a complex social society, and I can also see where being untrusting is a survival mechanism.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I'm sure something similar to this drug is already being sprayed from the

air via chemtrails, so don't bother with a prescription. Ah, yes can't you

smell it in the air?

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This is indeed frightening, and the delivery method makes this way way to easy for abuse. I may be paranoid but I would rather be paranoid and safe than to be overtrusting of others especially when in this day and age there are so many that are willing to take advantage of you.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
This is indeed frightening, and the delivery method makes this way way to easy for abuse. I may be paranoid but I would rather be paranoid and safe than to be overtrusting of others especially when in this day and age there are so many that are willing to take advantage of you.

Same here, you place your trust in too many and you will regret it. People are basic animals who want to harm one another, and placing trust in someone should be someones own choice.

But i can understand some may try this out, but going against yourself is wrong in this way.

For some out there being paranoid have saved there lifes. So they have built a trust in there awareness, that has kept them alive and away from danger.

[edit on 5/22/2008 by andy1033]

CX

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
First thing i thought of when i read this was. "Just wait till the chemtrail brigade get a hold of this one!"

Sorry but trust, or the ability to not trust something or someone is a vital tool in our self preservation arsenal.

Maybe it's ok if EVERYONE was taking the stuff, but it's the ones that are'nt you'd have to watch.

This will probably be sold as another one of those remedies for stress and other conditions. Here in the UK we have Bach Flower remedies that you can buy in the chemist, i've heard they can be pretty good.

Bach Flower Remedies

Theres even one remedy there, the "Holly" one that stops you being suspiscious lol......suprised they have'nt started putting that little chestnut in the water yet!

CX.

[edit on 22/5/08 by CX]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Very interesting comments. Science technology has yielded another controversial chemical that most question ethically. We prefer the states of loving others, being friends, giving selflessly, to come about naturally through means other than chemical persuasion.

Michael Laitman has more to say on this subject at www.laitman.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
What is interesting to me is the horror I read in your posts over the idea that someone or something could make you *gasp* trust people more!

The article didn't say the hormone would adversely impact your cognitive function, only that it would reduce distrust.

So, let's take a closer look at our responses... are we indicating that we would rather fight for our right to be distrustful and defensive than take any risk of becoming more comfortable with one another? What is being protected by this reaction?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by applebiter
The article didn't say the hormone would adversely impact your cognitive function, only that it would reduce distrust.

Any drug that changes your perception of the world, adversely impacts your cognitive function.

That's why people take drugs. To alter their reality.

For me to trust people, is certainly an alteration of my cognitive function because normally "I Don't"

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Sounds very dangerous to me. I don't want to live in a world of mindless idiots.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

So...

people who are trusting are mindless idiots?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join