It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5000 points just for joining the ATS feed on twitter?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Howdy Titorite is now on twitter tweeting with the ATS page, I sent my U2U to the Skeptic Overlord but still have not got my 5K points bribe?

What gives?

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
SO's a busy man
so im dealing with the Twitter stuff,

Anyhows Sorted you all out

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Just Joined Twitter! Yay! This looks rather cool! Updates on the go! Gotta love that!

Oh Dear, I just read your post above.. Sorry for adding to your mayhem

IRM

Muchas Gracias Amiga x .. just got the points.. how cool!

[edit on 4/8/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
what do i need twitter for and what do i need ats points for other than just having something i can use as currency when i piss off some of the less than relaxed mods here um nothing anymore really. sorry no the type to jump when told to just for some hard candy

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Noone has to join lol

ATS just set up a feed there where you can keep up to date with the latest thread on ATS, Its updated almost every few mins, Also you can add frineds you have on there and just see what there up to,

All you need to do it join twitter follow the ATS feed and the rest is up to you,

you also dont have to have the points if you dont want them
there just an incentive,

I only give the points to those who u2u me and say hey Im So and So on twitter id like to have the points please,

also if you look a page back you will see i Quoted SO's post on it and what its all about and why we are on there ... that should explain heeps!

[edit on 4-8-2008 by asala]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
OK nena whatever you say is koool with me but i'm not one to follow the crowd is all i'm saying, yes i'm a rebel

yo so one thing i've always wondered is that thing on your avatar male or female or both???

[edit on 8/4/2008 by razor1000]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
LOL Well i guess in the film its male, But im female so i kinda tweeked it to fit with my flow a bit better

So is and Asala Female Gizmo!

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Just joined. Updates on my phone is a great tool to have. With this new game going on, updates will be much appreciatied. Thanks for the points asala!

[edit on 4-8-2008 by ListenD]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
LOL Well i guess in the film its male, But im female so i kinda tweeked it to fit with my flow a bit better

So is and Asala Female Gizmo!

awsome you've turned gizmo into a dragqueen HAHAHAHAHA

but a drag queen with style nonetheless

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Join Twitter and get 5000 points? Er, why? What's the point of that? Do I get 5000 points for joining any other social networking site? Are the people I currently rate as upstanding, knowledgeable members of ATS really so?

What is the point of the points system?

Surely it is to rate a the members as to their contribution and ability. When you read a post or a thread, you look at the score to the right to give a hint as to the credibility of the author. I know the content is what counts, I do understand that, but in areas of ambiguity the score system comes into play. We are not experts in all fields, nor do we have the time to research them all, so in these areas, I know I look to the scoring system to give me an idea of the author, and I can't imagine I'm alone.

I'm not saying having a place on Twitter is a bad thing at all, ATS is a business after all, I just question the points award. People here would join it for no point bonus and their scores would not be altered.

Someone with 5118 points through posting is more reliable than the person with 5118 points who's a member on Twitter, surely.

Might be wrong or I might not get the whole points thing, in either case please correct me.

[edit on 7-9-2008 by Sendran]

[edit on 7-9-2008 by Sendran]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

You got a point and was feeling the same way. My inclination is that I will end up joining just for the points so I can purchase something in the store. If this helps ATS spread the word at the same time than "two birds with one stone".

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

Please read the reasons we are Experimenting with the twitter feed for ATS,

Ill Quote,
PLEASE READ SO's THREAD ALL ABOUT IT

www.abovetopsecret.com...

NEW: AboveTopSecret.com is Tweeting on Twitter!

Over the years, we've had lots of queries from members and even well-informed outsiders as to our overall lack of presence on mainstream "Social Networks" such as MySpace, FaceBook, Friendster, etc. For the most part, I've never come across a useful feature, function, or reason for ATS to adopt one such service over another. However, after some preliminary experiments, I believe Twitter provides our community with a unique additional method to expand awareness of our topics, our members, and what our members are thinking.

For those who are unaware of Twitter, it's a slightly different twist on the concept of social networking that encourages participants to contribute short blurbs about what they're currently thinking and doing. It's gaining popularity in many circles, especially since it integrates mobile devices, IM, and email into the mix. To many, this might seem excessive, if MySpace were coffee, Twitter is like crystal meth in comparison! But then... it hit me... the genius of something like Twitter may not be what one person is thinking/saying/doing, it's more likely going to be what a large group of like-minded people are saying, doing, thinking, and hoping for.

The AboveTopSecret.com Experiment With Twitter

AboveTopSecret.com On Twitter

AboveTopSecret.com and our Twitter Friends

As you can see, we've developed a method to automatically feed Twitter new topics that quickly generate several replies. We've been at it for a couple days as part of our initial test.

And as you can also see, a few astute ATS members have noticed our Tweets (that's what a Twitter update is called) and have decided to follow our updates, and we're following them. The resulting with-friends page is an aggregate list of everyone's tweets.

Hrm... now that is where ATS can take this concept and push it someplace truly different.

The AboveTopSecret.com Firehose Of Consciousness on Twitter

Imagine, if you will, an AboveTopSecret.com & Friends Twitter page with dozens, or even hundreds of ATS members providing one or two tweets a day, along with the regular hot new topics. This becomes especially valuable if your contributions are meaningful and not the typical "waiting for pizza dude" type tweets that seem to be prevalent. We'd end up with a running relevant commentary of what's important to us for all the world to see. A firehose of what we think, as we're thinking it.

Starting The Experiment

To encourage our members to join and participate with relevant tweets, just do one of the following:

1) Already On Twitter? Follow our page, then U2U me with your Twitter username.

2) Join Twitter With Your ATS Username then follow our page

3) If your ATS Username is taken on Twitter use a different name to join Twitter, follow us, then U2U me your username

We'll award ATS members that follow our page with 5,000 ATS points. (Not to worry, membership in Twitter requires a minimum of information.)

If all goes well, the ATS & Friends page will be a stunning stream of consciousness on a fast-rising social network.

DISCLAIMER
There is no relationship between Twitter and The Above Network, LLC. This idea is purely born out of us noticing the potential that exists with integrating such a service. If any relationship between us and Twitter were to develop because of this initiative, we'll be sure to provide full disclosure.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Thank you for the reply Asala, although I'm still cofuffled.

I understand the purpose behind it, I do, I just don't see the point of the award. It is misleading. People would join anyway, not unsettling the scores.

The reasons behind the Twitter page seem to be echoes of ATS; isn't ATS where we should see new posts, threads and updates? What's the point of an online community if you have a "Twitter Sect" within it?

Please don't just say "You don't have to join". I hate being confused and would greatly appreciate being shown the answer.

Again I understand the spreading of ATS presence on the web, just not the point award.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Sendran]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Hey there

The point award really is just an incentive, To be able to see if a feed on Twitter is worth it for us then we need our members to join up and give us feed back,

So a point reward was a good way of getting a number of people to have a go,

With twitter our members are also able to set there phones to have updates, which seems something allot of them like,

Again it’s just another means of being able to keep up to date on the go ect,

When the site went down I was able to keep many updated, and also let them know when it was back up,

We have no ties with twitter at all, we just have a feed there... Many many news sites are joining on as this seems to be the big Net thing at the moment,
Sky news, Cnn, Reuters ect ect are all on there now, Updating 24/7
It’s just another outlet, and with the growing net world we wanted to see what it was all about,

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Thanks very much for the reply Asala. Slightly more enlightened, I think the best thing for me to do is accept the scoring system and carry on!

I'll join Twitter and see what the fuss is about. Get those points ready!

The ideal solution would be to incorporate Twitter's technology into ATS so that the mobile updates and the other services were local to here and not outsourced. I don't know the ins and outs of these technologies, and I'm sure they cost, so Twitter may be the best answer for now. I like the idea of ATS being a community of thinkers and not another social site.

Anyway, thanks.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I'm not sure what twitter is or if it works with dialup but I will go on record as saying I signed up to participate and post when I felt I was contributing to a thread. The indication of my contribution in my mind was the award of a few points. I won't be signing up as I feel that the 5000 points awarded wouldn't indicate anything. I hope you all enjoy basking in the light of your pointless points. Thanks for nothing.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
hmmmm Ive been wondering about all these newbies with insane amount of points.....Me! Not so many points

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

i joined a few months ago and got bugger all

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Asala just sorted mine in 5 mins brilliant!!

many thanks

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
All I can say is that Asala is just the bomb!...
...I got my 5000, As you notice I lost a few to warnings...
...Thank you so much Asala..

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join