It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a couple questions to the Freemasons concerning higher degrees.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
Ask another brother what Masonry's about and he'll tell you PHILANTHROPY. It's all for charity and making sure the kids have schools and hospitals.

from what i understand, this is incorrect. Charity is a good deed, and a public service, but it's not what masonry is about (at least that's my impression). It seems that philanthropy and charity work have become major elements of masonry, when at best they should be extracurricular.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
from what i understand, this is incorrect. Charity is a good deed, and a public service, but it's not what masonry is about (at least that's my impression). It seems that philanthropy and charity work have become major elements of masonry, when at best they should be extracurricular.
Well sure, that may be your opinion, and I happen to share it, but you can bet there are some men for whom that's what it's all about. People who haven't been to a meeting in years, but give generously any time a new scholarship fund is being started, or help invest the contributions to ensure that there's money there for the long term.

I'm just saying that every individual comes to Masonry with their own opinions about what it is, and they're entitled to those opinions. If their opinion differs from your own then you should

1. Examine your own position and determine if it's coming from some particular bias or agenda... does their take interfere with your own or make it incompatible?
  2. Trust that the brother with the differing opinion took the same oaths and obligations that you did, so even if you're not on the same page, his motives could be as pure as yours.
  3. In an irreconcilable difference of opinion between two brothers on how to proceed, seek the council of the lodge as a whole and arrive at a democratic solution based on the collective wisdom.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

oh yes, I agree. I'm not necessarily complaining either, however to attribute charity work and philanthropy as a main element of Freemasonry would be the same as attributing meat-loaf dinners to Freemasonry.

I assume there are brothers out there that go to lodge occassionally because they are hungry, not because they want to improve their degree work. That shouldn't mean Freemasonry has now taken on 2 objectives - degree work and feeding people. (or rather, degree work and philanthropy in the former context). I sort of relate this to religion a little. Most churches and synagogues collect money to donate to the poor, and I know some missionaries that go to third world countries to build schools and churches.

Now, obviously they are providing an amazing service - building schools, homes, etc. However, that is not their primary objective. Their motive is to spread their religious beliefs, and to link their good deeds with the religion they are pushing. It's a public relations campaign, no matter how pure the intentions are of the missionaries.

I sort of feel the same way about masonry.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I do like the idea of fraternity, and the subject of esoterics has always interested me, along with subjects like alchemy, Egyptology, astronomy and religion. I know some of these subjects may not be essential to Freemasonry, but I'm sure they tie in somewhere that it would keep me engaged and active.

The more I look into Freemasonry, the more I feel I would belong and enjoy it! I've heard before that I'd have to know a Freemason in order to join, but I've also heard that I can just call the local lodge and talk with someone there. What would be the best course of action? I'm about 23 and I live in Wisconsin.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by metatronscube]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by metatronscube

Check the website for the Grand Lodge of Wisconsin and use their lodge locater to find one close to you. Call or email to find out what night they meet. Often there will be dinner prior to a meeting, or something like that that isn't necessarily members-only which would give you a chance to tour the building, eat and socialize with some of the men and generally get your first impression. They'll be able to give you a petition, and chances are, some of the guys you meet there would be happy to sign it after spending some time getting to know you.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Emperor Norton, do you know if Masonic beer is free in England? I've never considered joining before, but a good lager is about £70 a pint here, so if it's as much as you can drink at the lodge and all on the house (except the annual membership fee) then that really would be a good reason for joining. I buy in crates, mostly, but it's dangerous because I've got very little self control and I'll just sit here and drink everything in one, or perhaps two attempts, no matter how much I stock up.

Do you know what the deal is?

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Awesome! I will do that then. Hopefully it all work out, because I'm usually pretty busy during the week.

As I said in another thread, I'll post my impressions as they happen!!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
My local lodge says it is "dark" in July and August. I'm guessing that means no meetings during that time?

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by metatronscube
My local lodge says it is "dark" in July and August. I'm guessing that means no meetings during that time?
Right. It's pretty common for some lodges to go dark for 2 or 3 summer months. I'm not sure why that's tradition, though I might suspect that it has something to do with the older lodge buildings not having adequate air conditioning to deal with the heat.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Makes sense to me! Ok, another question if that's alright:
After the petition is signed, it says the an Committee of Investigation is formed. What exactly does this entail/ mean? I'm not nervous about it, seems pretty intense though!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cadbury
Emperor Norton, do you know if Masonic beer is free in England? I've never considered joining before, but a good lager is about £70 a pint here, so if it's as much as you can drink at the lodge and all on the house (except the annual membership fee) then that really would be a good reason for joining. I buy in crates, mostly, but it's dangerous because I've got very little self control and I'll just sit here and drink everything in one, or perhaps two attempts, no matter how much I stock up.

Do you know what the deal is?

There's no such thing as good lager - how do you expect to be taken seriously with comments like that?

Freemasons only drink stout or brown ale. However you must be prepared to increase your alcohol tolerance if you want to make it with the bros. Ditch the girly perrier-beer would be my advice.

PS beer is less than 50 quid a pint at the lodge.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman
There's no such thing as good lager - how do you expect to be taken seriously with comments like that?

Ah, yes. But of course. Good tomorrow, fellow observer. You see, the thing is, I don't expect to be taken seriously. I'm an amateur satirist and science-fiction writer. You think I expect to be taken at all seriously, Masonic Sir?

Freemasons only drink stout or brown ale. However you must be prepared to increase your alcohol tolerance if you want to make it with the bros. Ditch the girly perrier-beer would be my advice.

Blasphemy! An outright blasphemy! What are all you people, old men? Where's the Stella Artois and Wild Turkey? To whatever hell you believe in with stout or brown ale, Sorcerer! Good mother of about 12 helicopters, I've never heard anything so terrible in all my days.

PS beer is less than 50 quid a pint at the lodge.

That's still reason enough for a man to join, considering the circumstances.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by metatronscube
What exactly does this entail/ mean? I'm not nervous about it, seems pretty intense though!

Heya Metatron, the investigation is really just two or three brethren of the lodge you choose to become a member of, paying you a visit to chat with you. I have been on a few investigations, and from my point of view, which tends to be shared by my brethren, it gives the lodge an opportunity to ask you a few questions, and to answer any questions you may have regrading the fraternity. It is important to petition the lodge for the right reasons, and during the investigation, your reason for wanting to join will be asked of you.

Nothing to worry about, and its not really that intense
, afterwards, the brethren who visited you ,will make a report to the rest of the lodge, and if accepted, they will then Ballot on your application, and yer in.

Hope that answers your question. Good Luck, its a great group of people, despite some of the threads floating around on ATS from the antis.

Dredz

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dredz

That's good to know! I mentioned a few posts above why I'm interested. Hopefully those are good reasons! Mainly, I'm interested in the mysteries, interested in joining a fraternity and also I hear it does a great deal for a man's character, which sounds like a good deal to me!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by metatronscube

Greeting metatron. Glad to see you are taking an interest in possibly becoming a Mason. If you do indeed join and wish to further your esoteric knowledge you may have to take it upon yourself to seek out Bretheren who will be able to discuss these topics with you.

I have found in my home lodge many of the older members are not familiar or not interested in some of the more esoteric aspects of Masonry and for them it is more of a charitable insitution. The younger members are taking a greater interest in the meanings behind the rituals and are endeavoring to understand and interpert them in a fashion which they can relate.

Be sure to ask many questions as the Brothers of your persepective lodge, if they do not know the answers, will do their best to direct to who are where you might receive them. Keep us posted and feel free to ask any of us for assistance.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, I'd figure just about as much, but it'll be nice anyways to share the experience. We have alot of college students around here, hopefully I'm not the youngest, but I won't mind that much if I am!

Thanks for the offer! I will definitely contact you guys about anything that comes up or anything interesting worth discussing. I did read "Freemasonry for Dummies" I thought it was a pretty good introduction. Thanks to that and you guys, I may not have alot of questions!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
another great book on masonry is Wilmhurst's "Meaning of Masonry."

[edit on 27-5-2008 by scientist]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

Originally posted by JoshNorton
Ask another brother what Masonry's about and he'll tell you PHILANTHROPY. It's all for charity and making sure the kids have schools and hospitals.

I too agree with this statement Scientist. However, while I agree Masonry should not be "about" philanthropy, it is an outlet of charity regardless. For instance, while I may not take part in Masonry with the goal to donate as much as possible to as many charities as possible, I do recognize Masonry as a very easy source to give back to the community.

[edit on 5/27/2008 by Rockpuck]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join